Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've wanted one for ages, (long history of palm pilots, treos, centro) and now I don't think I want to keep it.
    Good bits-
    Facebook.
    Youtube,
    Wifi-I love the way it logs on to my home wireless as soon as I walk through the door,
    Love it's looks.
    Bad bits:
    Security-I can't find any way to protect my memos, or to protect anything!
    No Stylus- I miss it soooo much! I feel as if someone has taken away my fountain pen and given me fingerpaints.
    No Ewallet- I've used it for years, for passwords, pin numbers, account details, feeling secure with the same info on my PC.
    No synch- what if I lose my phone? can I look at my palm profile online? (not able to use google as it says there's already an account at my email)

I've not tackled preware or anything yet, and am tempted to swap it for a Treo Pro, I know the Treo has windows but I can get Ewallet for it and synch it properly and it has a stylus.
    Will I fall in love with my Pre if I keep it a bit longer? Is the learning curve worth the effort?
    stay with it. And you can set a pin or pass so when your phone screen is off you have to type something into the phone.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I say stick with it. Even Microsoft is moving away from the stylus in the Windows 7 phone. I am on again-off again with my Pre because of some minor hardware issues, but since the last few updates I really am happy now. The apps will come and maybe eWallet will put something out for the phone. The syncing you'll just have to get used to. I fought the idea of syncing with Google, but now am so glad I did it. I have the Outlook sync installed so all of my calendar is synced and I now manage all of my contacts within Google. Yes it isn't the best place for that since Google adds everyone I email, but I go through and clean it up every couple of weeks. Oh and just to make you a little more comfortable, I did a complete erase and was thrilled when I set the phone back up EVERYTHING came back and I was virtually pain free. I think there is supposed to be some sort of major update to the PIM syncing with 1.4 on Monday so give it until then to make your decision. At this point, I really think WebOS is the most user friendly, best multitasking phone out there and that is why I haven't gone to Android (also I think the fragmentation with Android is completely unacceptable - just like Windows).
    I agree - stick with it! It took a little while for me to get used to the lack of a stylus also but now I don't miss it at all.
    @keri2000. If you move all your contacts to MyContacts in Gmail on your computer, those are the only ones that should sync with your phone. You should not be getting every email address you ever send to or receive from on your phone.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Security- You need something more than PIN/Password protection on the device?

No Stylus- You'll get used to it, but if you must I believe you can get a stylus for touchscreens ... or a "meat stylus" (google it)

No Ewallet- I use SplashID. It's only one way sync (desktop -> Pre), but at least I have everything with me.

No synch- Not sure what your problem with Google is, but I strongly recommend you give it another try and do not use the Palm Profile. Just create another gmail account for syncing contacts if you need to (and use the Calendar too).
    I have the same feeling. All those good old apps connected me and palmos has disppeared. I have moved into a whole new house, new place with no connected memories of the good old days. Even worse, my family 4 members PIM has taken a whole body surgery. They think they are changed much better. But I feel like i'm the little prince who only need a kind of relation.
  8.    #8  
    OK I'll give it another few weeks, I'll try get a google account and check out that "meat stylus"-love it!
    As to security, I'd just like some way to keep stuff private, because my family borrow it all the time.
    Hey Max,

Now I always say that no matter how much I love the pre, if the phone isn't for you, then you should find the phone that is. However, from your list of things that you don't like, I think that you need to give the phone more time.

No stylus - Well, if you really find using a stylus better, then the pre isn't for you, but I hate to break it to you, but all the new smart phones have left the stylus behind. Google, Apple, Palm, even Microsoft. Everyone sees using the 'meat stylus' as the future. I know it takes getting used to. It's funny, at first, using my finger just felt 'childish'. When I used my stylus with my Treo 700p, I felt like a businessman, when I use my finger, I feel like my daughter playing with paint. But after a while I finally admitted to myself that I actually like using my fingers on a phone. It just feels good. And that's... okay.

No sync - There is sync, but it is now wireless. And this was the hardest for me to overcome. I just didn't trust it. I just didn't see how the heck you can not have to plug your computer to your phone. It took me a while, but now I LOVE wireless sync. As Keri points out, with google sync, you never have to sync, you are always 'synced'. Now to charge my phone, I simply leave it on my touchstone. I never have to plug it in anywhere. But if you're still not ready for Google (and that is totally understandable) try using Outlook with pocket mirror. It's still a wireless sync solution, but it's not in the cloud. It's from your phone to your computer.

Security - If security is truly essential to you then you might be better off going back to your old Palm phone or a Blackberry. The Pre has a few solutions, and they will have more. But it will be a while. Security is something that Palm understands, they've done a good job in the past, but the Pre is brand spanking new and will take time to get a few essentials that we old time Palm users took for granted. But if you can find some solutions in Preware, and the app catalog that help fill some security gaps, then I'm certain you will finally bond with your Pre.

It took me a while, but I did, I'm sure you will too!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    It would be appropriate to post a question concerning a technical matter but asking people on the internet what your own personal opinion should be of something is crass.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    It doesn't feel crass to me, just as if the op is going through a change (all change brings at least a little bit of confusion) and he is asking for some feedback and support on his issues.
    For the security issue--I think they are giving the palm pixi away "for free" through Feb 14, if you pay an extra $10 monthly on your account and perhaps you should think about this--your family can use the pixi while the pre and your memos and other secure items stay with you
    @max
    You clearly missed the point of Synergy. Also, the fact that the Pre is being marketed to Mom's by Verizon is testiment to the easy learning curve. You don't buy a BMW and wonder why you have to press a button to operate the seat adjustments.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    this thread
    Just like many of the other users here, I say keep the phone.

I also want to comment, that you listed "Facebook, YouTube, WiFi, and looks" as the only pro's. The phone has much more than that to offer. From Synergy, notifications, Universal search, Apps, OTA Updates, multitasking, and much more.

All that, and you haven't even stepped into the Preware world.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxcopper View Post
    I've wanted one for ages, (long history of palm pilots, treos, centro) and now I don't think I want to keep it.
    Good bits-
    Facebook.
    Youtube,
    Wifi-I love the way it logs on to my home wireless as soon as I walk through the door,
    Love it's looks.
    Bad bits:
    No Stylus- I miss it soooo much! I feel as if someone has taken away my fountain pen and given me fingerpaints.
    No Ewallet- I've used it for years, for passwords, pin numbers, account details, feeling secure with the same info on my PC.
    No synch- what if I lose my phone? can I look at my palm profile online? (not able to use google as it says there's already an account at my email)

I've not tackled preware or anything yet, and am tempted to swap it for a Treo Pro, I know the Treo has windows but I can get Ewallet for it and synch it properly and it has a stylus.
    Will I fall in love with my Pre if I keep it a bit longer? Is the learning curve worth the effort?

If you drop it u will regret it. It is funny you are comparing good and bads when you really have done nothing with the phone at all. If you have not messed with preware then you know about 1/100 of what this phone can do. Lets fix your bad bits section

Bad bits:
    No Stylus- I miss it soooo much! I feel as if someone has taken away my fountain pen and given me fingerpaints.(you can buy one but you will have to find a place to store it)
    No Ewallet- I've used it for years, for passwords, pin numbers, account details, feeling secure with the same info on my PC.(check preware there is plenty of programs like this)
    No synch- what if I lose my phone? can I look at my palm profile online? (not able to use google as it says there's already an account at my email) you can go to palm and try a forget Username/ or even call palm and see if they can figure it out for you. or make a Yahoo emai lto sync your account.)

So give it some time and play with preaware. the free Apps and patches will blow your mind. trust me and everyone else on this fourm if you get ride of it you will beat your self up.

if i seem rude sorry lol just play with the phone lol
    Bad bits:
    There are multiple different apps that you can use to protect your passwords, credit cards, and any other information that needs to be kept secured. My recommendation is Safe Box, available in the App Catalogue for $8, that lets you store anything. It has a few special ways to store passwords and credit cards but you can store notes and memos in a secured text box in the app.

The touch screen is a capitative touch screen which is made to be used with your fingers. However, if you really want a stylus, you can buy one from PreCenral's Store.

As I mentioned above, you can use Safe Box to secure any type of information you wish.

I would suggest using google as your main info center. As you said it's not letting you use your current gmail account, but you can create a second account and set your main gmail account to forward all emails to it. This way you have all the email on that account and if you want to transfer the contacts you may have on your main account, you can export them from it and then import them into the new account. Oh, and don't forget to hook up your Pre to the second account.

EDIT:
    My suggestion, as of Preware, is to use it. It is VERY easy to install and opens up soo many different things to your Pre. One thing that I love about it is the Patches. Very easy to install from Preware, you can customize you Pre to fit your every need. You want this, this, and that in the device menu.... no prob. You want to know if you have a new notification without even touching the Pre.... even easier. Preware = the World to your Pre
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Hang in there Max it is definately worth it to give it more time. The only thing is once you bond your gonna be lost without your Pre.

As far as your security problem, there's a free app called Classic Note that allows you to password protect your notes. I believe it's in homebrew.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  18.    #18  
    OK, thanks to all. I now have preware installed and a soft stylus on order- not from Pre central unfortunately, as I live in the UK.
    The first app I tried to buy said it's not available in my country.
    Hmm.
    The developer of Safe Box has a version in Preware. It is an ad supported trail that will last until March 30th. Just go to List Everything and type in Safe Box.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Do people simply not research such purchases before they buy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast