Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wish I did not move from Centro to Palm Pre. But it also made me think that Palm does not give a damn about it's long term customers by abandoning Notes categories, Contact categories. Also it is SLOW compared to the instant response of Centro. Also the screen is not accurate with finger vs stylus. Epocrates, Docs To Go are still not ported.

Lessons learned: make your data platform independent (ie Word, Excel) so you don't have to get screwed by the company you have supported for 11 years.

I am sticking with Pre, because sooner or later Palm OS will become obsolete and I will have to migrate my data at that point - might as well do it now.

But my next phone will not likely be a Palm.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by krusenkevin View Post
    Do people simply not research such purchases before they buy?

Somewhat, but some just trust the name "Palm" to supply the same functionality as in their previous devices.
    Although they realise there are downsides to their purchase they hope that they will adapt to it's shortcomings.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxcopper View Post
    Somewhat, but some just trust the name "Palm" to supply the same functionality as in their previous devices.
    sure do hope for Microsoft's sake that their customers don't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxcopper View Post
    OK, thanks to all. I now have preware installed and a soft stylus on order- not from Pre central unfortunately, as I live in the UK.
    The first app I tried to buy said it's not available in my country.
    Hmm.
    I would be interested to hear of your experience with the stylus.

My prediction. You will find that you did not need it after all. It will be the size of your finger anyway and where will you keep it? It's much easier with your 'stylus' attached to your hand.
  5.    #25  
    Didn't get on very well with the stylus, am still using the Pre (but still got my old Centro in reserve) and have nursed it through the "rebel sim/1.4" crisis, but no amount of updates and patches are going to make it into the PDA phone that I'm used to.
    Compare Pre "apps" to Treo software and you'll see what I mean.
    P.S. My stylus was a cheapo one, the only one I could get hold of quickly in the UK. I'll probably try a good quality one at some point.
    I have tiny hands but can't even play card solitaire games.
    As I see it the Pre is an Iphone clone. If they'd added a stylus and the huge back-catalogue of palm software they would have made an Iphone killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by krusenkevin View Post
    Do people simply not research such purchases before they buy?

Most of the time, no. That's not always the buyer's fault, though. The store salesmen know very little about the product in the first place, outside of the neato gee-whiz stuff.

Security.........seriously, look into a family plan with enough free phones for your family, if you're afraid one of the kids will ring up massive charges on your cell phone (they do, I do sympathise with you there). I don't even trust my mom with my phone unless I'm right there, and her Verizon phone doesn't have signal.

Good luck with the stylus, but I think you'll find in more of a hinderance than a help. I've got fat fingers, being a big, bulky guy, and that was one of the things I missed about PalmOS, very little need to use the darn thing. WinMo just about killed me, you couldn't close an app, the X button was tucked wayyyyyyyy up into the right hand corner, I couldn't reach it any other way.

Old PalmOS software you own, or want to buy if its still available? Classic Emulator, if you can get it where you are. Runs pretty much everything ever made for Treos, Granted, it's pricey, at least in my book, but that opens you up to that world of apps you want.
    Re: eWallet

This program works well with Classic, the PalmOS emulator. You can even hotsync through a network connection to the desktop app.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12