1.    #1  
    I'm on week 2 with my pre + and I love it. The app thing wasn't bothering me that much but in many ways I was like man I wish there was a cnn,espn app and so forth. But when I learned you can set your bookmarks to your launcher I'm like who needs a better face book app when I can have the site right on my launcher. Apps like espn and cnn don't have their full content anyway so am I the only one who now doesn't care about apps as much since I discovered this feature.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    ask again at week 10
    You will in time when the novelty wears off. After a few weeks more you will want just that. More. Come back to this thread you started in a few weeks and let us know how you feel then.
    The Pre is a new device in general.
    Give it time, it can only get better.
    haha wait some time you'll be trying to steal apps
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Apps are more than just web pages. They can and do improve the phones abilities to have useful character, fun personality,production and also use the operating system to it's full potential. Without apps no smartphone could excel! A must have and the pre is getting them....in due time you will learn that some apps are priceless and some are useless,but many are nice to just have!!!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Well lots of "apps" for other mobile platforms are often just mobile versions of their site anyway so you're not exactly wrong ddonahueiup. Facebook is one example however where people want *full* facebook features in a nicely laid out application - since they've updated the touch site it's fine for my uses though.

I always want to see more innovative apps that increase the functionality of the phone because I see the fantastic potential of webOS and the current generation of devices we have. The more apps, the more people can see the phone handles the functionality they need, the more money Palm makes, the quicker further updates and new devices that I want to use get released - More apps is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    Well lots of "apps" for other mobile platforms are often just mobile versions of their site anyway so you're not exactly wrong ddonahueiup. Facebook is one example however where people want *full* facebook features in a nicely laid out application - since they've updated the touch site it's fine for my uses though.

I always want to see more innovative apps that increase the functionality of the phone because I see the fantastic potential of webOS and the current generation of devices we have. The more apps, the more people can see the phone handles the functionality they need, the more money Palm makes, the quicker further updates and new devices that I want to use get released - More apps is good.
    Don't care about facebook, but I'm tired of waiting for Docs-to-Go.
    Imagine the iPhone without aps... I've had my pre since the beginning of November09 and I'm still discovering new ones all the time. It's a good thing that it's a growin catalogue otherwise it would definitely wear off
    Quote Originally Posted by ddonahueiup View Post
    I'm on week 2 with my pre + and I love it. The app thing wasn't bothering me that much but in many ways I was like man I wish there was a cnn,espn app and so forth. But when I learned you can set your bookmarks to your launcher I'm like who needs a better face book app when I can have the site right on my launcher. Apps like espn and cnn don't have their full content anyway so am I the only one who now doesn't care about apps as much since I discovered this feature.
    I agree with you. If a mobile site provides all the information I need, I won't bother with dedicating memory space to an application. Still, there are times when an app will be helpful.

I wanted a way to quickly check local weather conditions and forecast so I bookmarked the Weather Channel's iPhone web page for my area and put it on my Launcher. I quickly get all the information I need with NO annoying ads and it looks perfect on the Pre.

However, I downloaded the Directv app because it offers a LOT more features than the web page for DVR Scheduler, such as searchable TV listings.

Go with what works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddonahueiup View Post
    Don't listen to those that give you any doubt. I have been a Pre user since launch where for a while we had barely any apps for a good long while. While the Pre currently lacks a huge app ecosystem, the overall functionalities of the device is really great. I came from a WinMo phone which while didn't have an app store had very large support from 3rd parties. I don't regret anything from the platform.

The phone will actually only get better with time, with the updates every 2 months or so(before it use to be every month but I imagine the work their doing now is more complex and more serious groundwork). Continue enjoying your device, and just be surprised with the new developments for the platform on Palm's side, 3rd party side, and open source developers side.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    You will in time when the novelty wears off. After a few weeks more you will want just that. More. Come back to this thread you started in a few weeks and let us know how you feel then.
    I have been a Pre owner a little over three months now.
    There are only 5 apps installed on my Pre, back then there were apps available on my Pre's App Catalog. Now App Catalog is completely empty.
    Despite the above I am quite happy with my Pre at a moment.
    To be honest, though, I would like very, very much to have something in App Catalog. Not that there is anything at a moment I felt absolutely necessary to get. Just knowing there were a choice to pick something up, that would pep me up big time!
    Now, to the question, are apps that important? I would definetely vote yes.
    How I see it, Pre is absolutely a great phone by its own right, no doubt about it!
    Still, without apps Pre is severely crippled in the sense of answering to the needs of an individual user.