Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    We all know the Palm Pre commercials arenít very good. Who could forget the creepy lady as much as we all want to? Did it help you understand what the Palm Pre is capable of? Probably not.

Any ways, I thought it would be fun and interesting to see what Pre commercials members of PreCentral could come up with if they had the chance. Obviously, Iíve been giving this some thought since I love my Palm Pre and I want to show the world how awesome webOS and the Palm Pre is.

Without further ado, hereís how my Pre commercial would go:

Commercial starts with the Palm Pre in foreground with the Slacker Radio app open on the Palm Pre.
    The view of the camera is looking downward at the screen.
    Our Palm Pre user clicks on the play button and Phoenix 1901 starts to play.

Pre user looks up and continues leisure stroll through a busy street.
    Text message goes off on the Pre with the notification sound.

ďDo you have Jenís number? ď

Audience hears the userís inner thoughts with the song playing at a reduced volume in background.
    User hits home button on Pre and goes to contacts.
    User slides keyboard up and types in Jenís name.
    Taps notification icon.
    Starts to type number.
    Again audience can hear the userís thoughts as he repeats the numbers:

ď917-345?Ē

Quickly switches to the contacts with Jenís number.

ďAh right 917-345-1234!Ē

Quick switches back to text message.
    Sends. Hits middle button. Swipes up to close messenger program and contacts.
    Music comes back on louder.

Commercial ends.
    Start

Pre has arms and legs.

Queue crazy japanese music.

Dorid comes in, along with nexus, and iphone.

Pre does some crazy karate and they all end up broken.

Text comes up "Palm Pre... Kick all other phones *****"

GONG!

End
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    Start

Pre has arms and legs.

Queue crazy japanese music.

Dorid comes in, along with nexus, and iphone.

Pre does some crazy karate and they all end up broken.

Text comes up "Palm Pre... Kick all other phones *****"

GONG!

End
    That is awesome!! sweet, simple and to the point
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I'd hire the guy who does the Nokia N900 ads.

Maemo software | Nokia › Maemo Videos

They do this, we get a badly dressed 80's mom who we are supposed to want the phone she'd use.
    I was actually just thinking of this a day or two ago.

My idea was indeed inspired from the mom commercials. Instead of being a commercial by Verizon, Sprint, or Palm [who have all failed terribly at marketing these crazy awesome phones )...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    IT'S A PRECENTRAL.NET / WEBOS-INTERNALS COMMERCIAL!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So... instead of a mom. There's two boys (~13 years old?) walking home from school, prolly in an urban city. It's important to realize, tho, that these kids are adorably dorky!! You cannot leave out that part of the commercial. They HAVE to have goofy facial gestures changing every second. It'd even be better if these kids had some bowl cuts that keep you looking at the screen, taking double-takes, scratching your head, pointing & laughing, etc.!!!

So there's a Google-eye view down toward the sidewalk, when you see this bowl-cuttin' kid reach in his pocket and pull out a Pre. Then you see the goofy friend freak out with the normal over-expressive facial gestures (think Nickelodeon!)... "What is *THAT*?!?" Main kid goes, "Oh, my brother convinced my parents to get one for the whole family." Other kid: "Seriously? But what *IS IT*?!?"

Cue handshot with finger flippin' cards (the best apps around around, of course... not calendar, memo, & the other stuff that Palm's supposed to be good at). "It's a Palm Pre!" The kid HAS to mention Preware somewhere in there, tho! Also VERY important!! He even has to admit it's better than the App Catalog. But right now the scene is essentially an HTC commercial that quickly jumps between multiple clips of the kid explaining what all he can do -- 3D games, homework app, video editing, web browsing with screen rotation, flash games, threaded messaging, etc -- and, obviously, the background will be changing with each clip, as the kids are still walking down the street. And of course, at the end, the kid should be explaining to his friend that someday he'll be cool enough to get a webOS phone, and then maybe he can read how to customize his phone with homebrew apps, patches, themes, etc. at PreCentral.net!! "Yea, man... My brother's the coolest!! I can't believe he hooked me up with this website."

Cue the dorky friend with his jaw dropped.. but it's a happy jaw dropping experience, because his eyes are wide open and his cheeks are raised.

Heck, maybe there's even a bland, rich kid with an iPhone who is jealous. And the cool kid says that "Maybe someday he'll be able to customize, multitask, flick, download homebrew, etc." This would be the iDon't kid.

The best part about all this is that this commercial represents exactly what makes the pre so awesome. It blends the best of all worlds. It takes the Verizon "even a mom" can do it, and flips it into "even a dorky looking kid with a bowl cut" can do it too... and maybe I should listen to that subliminal message about getting one for everybody in my family, not just my wife!!! Then you've got the HTC-like scene with the awesomeness of cards flashing before you, educating viewers with awesomeness and ease. And then, you've finally got the iDon't kid who's jealous because he's so limited. .... of course, none of this is set in stone yet.

But one commercial like this could attack every single problem that exists in webOS land. And I'll be looking for that check in the mail, Palm/PreCentral/WebOS-Internals!! I'm serious!

=========================

Cut to commercial... Cut to commercial... Cut to commercial... Cut to commercial...

P.S. - THANK ME IF YOU THINK THIS WOULD WORK!! I'm positive that the marketing people need to kick it up a notch in the education department, and letting 'em know it just might help.
    well for starters I wouldn't use the word 'mom' even once....
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Pre's Eye View

Close up on Palm Pre. Press a music app (Pandora, Slacker, Music app, whichever). Back up from the Pre, The Pre stays in the lower part of the screen, the scene is now an apartment with the band playing in it. Notification for a text comes in, tap it and the friend appears in the apartment while the band plays. They start talking. A notification for an email comes in, tap it and the boss appears in the room next to the band and friend. They talk. Finish, swipe the email card away, and the boss gets swiped away as well.

Palm Pre. A phone for life.
    I think using the word "mom" is ok in a pre commercial only in this context:
    "Pre; multitasks so good, makes you want to slap your mother"
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    I'd hire the guy who does the Nokia N900 ads.

Maemo software | Nokia õ Maemo Videos

They do this, we get a badly dressed 80's mom who we are supposed to want the phone she'd use.
    That ad is FANTASTIC! Makes me want to get that phone instead! wow!
    Palm needs to hire that guy pronto!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    That ad is FANTASTIC! Makes me want to get that phone instead! wow!
    Palm needs to hire that guy pronto!
    No kidding. The Maemo videos are pretty awesome. Now, I want tagging for my photos.
    remember the movie Multiplicity?

so multiple John's are doing dif things in dif scenes.(business discussion, at a concert "aka pandora", at the airport buying a ticket, and driving a nfsu vehicle). All scenes are showed on the tv screen @ the same to time in panels, then they do a shaking/bounce effect and fly into a palm pre into their cards (kinda like the end of those vzw commercials)... Multiply yourself.

hope that made sense lol