Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I am a former blackberry curve,bold,storm user and So i did all my homework like I always do, to pick my next phone. So what do i want, first it starts with a real web browser, email with html format, a phone that plays real games. It must have email,sms, im, and notifications. So it began.....

I download the emulator for the palm pre and used it for a week. I looked hard into the android platform including the droid, google,htc. I have verizon so the google phone wasn't a options but still looked hard at the android OS.

My first stop was the verizon main store. Walked up to the palm pixi and tried to turn it on but the battery was drained. Moved over to the next palm pre plus and it too was drained. I called over a sales person to ask them if they could charge the phone so I could try it out. I was asked why I wanted to try that phone out and not the droid. I informed the sales girl that I would like to try both so she had another plam pre charged and handed it to me. Knowing how to navigate the phone was so easy because I used it on the emulator but it was sweet. After using it for sometime I moved over to the droid and played with it for around 30 minutes maybe longer. I really tried to talk myself into the android/droid phone due to the big screen and nice web browser but it wasn't even close to a smooth system. I was fighting with apps running and not running, closing and opening apps. Anyway I am getting off the topic.

After going back to the palm pre and smiling the whole time. The sale woman walked up to me and asked me if I wanted the droid because she saw me using it. I thanked her for having me try the droid because it helped me make my decision. THEN it started she asked me what phone I have now so I said the storm she said well you know the palm pre will not get your emails as fast. I then asked her if the droid was any better she informed me no it would be the same. Her next question was the palm pre only has 16gig (16GIG) of space with no expansion. I explained to her that I owned a 8 gig card for the blackberry with movies,music, every app I could load and that only took up 3 1/2 gig. She told me that I wouldn't be happy with the keyboard so I told her that the droid keyboard was larger but it was worst than the palm pre.

After many other questions I started to ask her questions on the palm vs the droid turns out she didn't know the palm pre could do so much with visual multitasking, games that blow away android, synergy with all your accounts, calendar having different colors for all your accounts. Long story short she was surprised the palm pre wasn't promoted with these features.

My next stop Best buy , I needed the shield for the screen. While talking to the sales person he mentioned that the phone isn't selling so well and that know one knows about it including himself. So I sold him on the phone and he was blow away with the 3D gaming and the multitasking cards. While playing the game I received a sms and it showed up on the bottom of the screen while he was playing. He asked me if I wanted him to quit the game so I could answer the sms that's when his jaw dropped I stopped the game switched to sms card typed a few seconds then returned to his game. He was in awe and could help wonder why the phone wasn't selling.

PALM how can you not know that your only outlets for your phones have no glue what they are about. I am hooked on the phone but have to question how long your company will last if you are not sending sales reps around to all your outlets to help train and promote your great product.

Your limited commercials are a joke and also have offended the males who now owe a ladies phone. I'm not sure who thought that the moms wanted smartphones but I know hundreds of mom/ladies who just want to talk on the phone and have no desire to own a smartphone. So please advertise the strengths of the phone multitask,synergy,3D gaming, simple UI for males,women,teens and everyone who want to make live easier.

We all are motivated by what we see on TV maybe if we put $93 million dollars into advertising like the droid did. People would be able to make a educated choice on the palm pre vs droid. I bet if they advertised the palm pre strengths even just showing the multitasking it would of generated more excitement and questions for sales reps.

I hope that you have a plan to advertise more and start to help your carriers sell (God knows that aren't helping you sell anything, it was the quietest new release of a smartphone I ever saw.) So for a customer that loves and promotes your phones help me get more developer creating apps by selling more phones....get the word out the palm has faults just like any other phone but the pros out weight all the cons...Read all the reviews that all can't be wrong.
    Last edited by dm7864; 02/12/2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Bold Title
    Agreed.. I'm thinking about getting a summer job at Sprint to be able to educate consumers on the Pre as well as the other phones. Just about everywhere I go, the workers know their phone, but not any other phones. I've worked with just about every type of phone from Winmobile to the Blackberry to the Pre, and a bit of Android as well. It's ashame they try and sell you the phone that isn't necessarily the best phone. You just can't beat the Pre or Pixi right now deal wise. After the Flash update... It's gonna get even better!

BTW A Blackberry gets e-mail quicker?!?!?!?! That's odd, as soon as it shows up on my computer, it's on my Pre as well. Can't get any quicker than that!
    I also came from a 2 blackberries...Webos blows them away.....If you want to help palm out make it your job to tell everyone you know. Put it on your facebook status and tell everyone you know.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I agree it seemed like the verizon sales person was getting a commission or was told to push the droid. Email gets to me quick enough not sure what the difference is between the blackberry and the palm pre . Don't get me wrong I love the blackberry but can't wait anymore for a web browser and flash support.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    +1. The Pre's webOS is the first platform I truly "believed" in. Not sure if that even makes sense, but I'm blown away by the device. I keep telling my friends who skip it straight for the Droid to just hold for a sec and give the Pre+ a real chance.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I feel the same way you should of seen the best buy sales guys face when I paused the game to answer my txt msg. He was sold...
    This also makes me wonder about all the posts about Verizon sells trying to persuade people NOT to buy any webOS phone. What the matter is it with Verizon? The Droid is not for everybody. If they hate Palm so much, stop selling the phone and hand over the "Plus phone exclusives" to Sprint. Every single Sprint sells in my local Sprint store knows the in and outs of the Pre, that is what I call dedication to a product.

I hope Palm is reading this and would realize that they have a hostile partner. They really should do something about it.
    The one thing I do look forward to is Motoblur... But at the same time, it probably won't be as robust as I would hope.. But underneath is Android as well.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I wonder if VERIZON read any of the reviews for the palm pre including there one review. I saw the palm pre vs iphone 3g and it did very well. IF palm had more money to invest in a decent ad campaign they could sell a ton of palm pre plus phones.
    I'm seeing far too many reports of VZ reps talking customers OUT of the Pre and "upselling" them on the Droid. WTHell is this?? I just don't get the idea of being pushy anyway, because that will turn me off and make me go home and order online. But why is the Pre being treated like their red-headed stepchild?
    i just sent this link to palm. i hope someone there takes a look at it and seriously understand the gravity of stories like this one. i have seen similar circumstances as well, with salespeople either not knowing much or providing incorrect information and pushing customers toward other products. this is very bad for a company like palm and very bad for an operating system that has so much potential.
    What the ******...uneffing believable....good job of emailing Palm about this.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I can see the smaller stores not making much on the palm pre than the droid. I was told this from a verizon wireless store, who I deal with all the time. The told me they would lose $50.00 if they sold me the palm pre for $250.00 minus $100.00 rebate but the driod they would make $50.00. The corp. stores don't care they make their money on the data plans. This isn't going to help palm sell phones if the stores can't make some money on the sale.
    can you explain a little more? i didn't know that the pre would be a loss-leader for smaller (which i presume that you mean independent 3rd party retailers as opposed to a sprint corp store). i always thought that they would be getting the merchandise at a lower price than what we, the customers, pay for it. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by dm7864 View Post
    I can see the smaller stores not making much on the palm pre than the droid. I was told this from a verizon wireless store, who I deal with all the time. The told me they would lose $50.00 if they sold me the palm pre for $250.00 minus $100.00 rebate but the driod they would make $50.00. The corp. stores don't care they make their money on the data plans. This isn't going to help palm sell phones if the stores can't make some money on the sale.
    To an extent, you can split the blame between the resellers and Palm. Both provide the training on new products....Palm before the product is released, usually a few weeks before advertising starts, then the reseller picks up with the detailed usage training. Way back when I was working for Gateway in sales, that's basically how it worked, and a very similar method at most music stores I've worked at as well.

That said, I don't believe that any brand stores work off commission anymore, I know for sure Best Buy and the like don't. There used to be that incentive.....get a new product in that people had been seeing promo ads for, you got your **** together, answered as much as you could before the release, then spent hours neck deep in the product physically, learning everything you could to demo it.....and not just one product, ALL of them. Sure, we specialized, my last job we split into departments, and somewhat into product categories. Some guys specialized in selling the beginner stuff, and sold a lot, others learned the high end stuff, and made just as much, even though the sales numbers were lower. I crossed over, ran the drum department, but also specialized in PRS, Gibson Custom Shop and above, and Taylor. If our regular high end guy, Sandy, was out, I could do his job. Incentive, though.........I got paid more for what I sold. Common big-box and brand "flagship" stores get paid the same, no matter what they sell, or even IF they sell.

I know, it's depressing when you go to a store to pick out a new, high end product, and nobody there knows how to turn it on, let alone demo the features, but gee, they know the pop-culture favorite. Maybe if they went back to the sell or die method, people would go back to trying to learn what they promote store wide, rather than just one or two ho-hum overrated products.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skafri View Post
    I'm seeing far too many reports of VZ reps talking customers OUT of the Pre and "upselling" them on the Droid. WTHell is this?? I just don't get the idea of being pushy anyway, because that will turn me off and make me go home and order online. But why is the Pre being treated like their red-headed stepchild?
    Why? Because Verizon owns the Droid name so they make more money by selling a Droid than they do by selling other phones. I'm sure the reps are trained to talk customers into the Droid whenever possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    can you explain a little more? i didn't know that the pre would be a loss-leader for smaller (which i presume that you mean independent 3rd party retailers as opposed to a sprint corp store). i always thought that they would be getting the merchandise at a lower price than what we, the customers, pay for it. thx.
    Independent resellers make all their money on the product, and there's very little markup, 5% or so is the average for consumer electronics. Sprint stores, however, are not only owned by Sprint directly, and get a better price due to bulk ordering, but as was said, their potential loss is covered by the $99 per month service plan sold with every phone. THAT profit is fairly huge, it's how any cell carrier stays in business in the first place........not on hardware sales.
    I couldn't agree more, if people actually hear about the phone and then get to use it they will buy it, back in December my dad was going to get new phones for himself and me and I was pushing the pre over a blackberry, after dad spent 15 min with the pre he had to rethink and 3 days later he called me on my outdated i335 that he was pickign my pre up and was calling me from his!

I wish sales reps actually knew what web os was capable of, like your story shows they relay don't.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    First off Verizon and I believe all carriers first sell there phones online and corporate stores on the release date IE Jan 25th while the smaller satellite stores are shipped the phones on the release day. So they lose out on sales for a few days. I was told that they don't get the same discount as the verizon chain stores. I believe them because she has always supplied me my blackberry phones. So as a business person myself why would you lose money on a sale. She would of purchased the phone for me and take a hit to make me happy but I didn't feel it was right and wasn't about to pay an additional $50.00
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast