Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by driver60 View Post
    16g of memory is plenty for me. I have an 8g itouch I've had since they came out and I have <5g on it. I have my entire iphoto library on it, a bunch of music an apps. As long as you can mount it as an external drive I don't see a need for a sdcard. The real star is WebOS not the hardware it's running on. It is the best smartphone os out there. Palm just needs to get the word out
    The hardware is as important and perhaps even more important than the software. WebOS has it's flaws but the first thing people notice is the hardware. If that isn't built well or stylish, the software is irrelevant in the decision making. It never gets to that.

Regarding storage, an SD card makes manufacture of the device cheaper and just because you're happy doesn't mean the iPhone owners are happy. Think about it - if you want to attract people who have iTunes, you needed to give them the ability to transfer their entire music collection in one shot - and make it easy for them to do so. Forcing the device to only have internal storage was unnecessary and expensive.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Does anyone see a new hardware phone coming for AT&T
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Now sure why palm doesn't include the patches they don't seem to bother the OS. You would think this helps them by using more resources outside of there company so the small amount of palm developers can stay on palms plan. I'm sure it wouldn't take them long to verify what patches work well and those that don't. They have a ton of beta testers "IE preware users" so I hope they see we do love the Webos . We only want to help add features that the blackberry and Iphone users who have switched to this awesome phone feel right at home but could never get WebOS on their old phones
    Quote Originally Posted by dm7864 View Post
    I agree it seemed like the verizon sales person was getting a commission or was told to push the droid. Email gets to me quick enough not sure what the difference is between the blackberry and the palm pre . Don't get me wrong I love the blackberry but can't wait anymore for a web browser and flash support.
    as someone who works for indirect verizon. i can tell you the reason noone is pushing it, is simply the phone for dealers to buy is 599 and even with verizon giving a small spiff of 45 dollars , brings the cost of the phone for dealers when active to 555. and between the fact that commisions on verizon arent that high and with verizon advertising 250 for the phone , indirect retailers just cant compete.(why verizon themselves aren't is beyond me).
    so we ARE told to push the droid. as it cost us less and we can actually make a profit.

as for the droid advertising . i was told by our rep that Motorola paid for most of the droid advertising not "Big V".
    o and verizon actually has a great training video for retailers for the pre plus/pixi plus. its just that the retailers dont even bother with it due to the reasons above.

i would post it if i wouldnt get shut down for doing so
    Quote Originally Posted by skypilotks View Post
    I agree about the memory! I have maybe 150 songs on my pre and maybe have actually listened to less the 50! It has always amazed me to look at peoples Iphones/Itouchs/Ipods and seen thousands of songs which take forever to actually find a song you want to hear, or you keep looking for "abetter song" instead of just listening!
    What people actually do and what they think they will do are two different things.

With regard to organization, I have no idea what you're talking about. It takes me about 10 seconds to find any song I want if I know the Title or Artist. It's no different on the Blackberry either.

The key is that (a) Palm should have passed the cost of memory to the consumer and given them an option to go large/small, and (b) the hardware sucks sufficiently so that people won't spend time to understand the differences between WebOS (and potential) versus others. The iMac sucked as a computer but many people loved the hardware and it did enough for them and looked really cool.
  7. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I agree. I have been a palm Pre user since day one on Sprint. I went to a Verizon store to help a coworker out. The Verizon sales person pushed hard on the droid. He said they did not even carry the Pre because it was not as good and they only carry the better phones in stock. But he could order one if he had too. I asked him what about the Pre he did not like and he could not answer. He said they only learn and get trained on the better phones. The only thing he could say was the keyboard on the pre sucked. I asked why and he said it was not virtual. I told him you can download a virtual keyboard, he said he did not think that that was possible. The whole time I had my Pre in my pocket as to not let on I had one. So before my inner hockey player came out and I dropped the gloves.... We left for another Verizon store. At the next store it was surprisingly the same story. Sales person comes up and says basically the same thing. Why would you buy the Pre or even consider it over the droid. He fought with us the whole time, but they had Pre's in stock so we bought one. Its amazing they sell any Palm Pre's.

I do not understand this, but thought the sales people have to be getting a kick back somehow. Palm needs to better adv the pre.

We should make a training video or the top ten reasons someone should get the pre from a real users perspective and send it to palm. Other than great for a soccer mom's calendar. that made me sick.

Top ten list Start
    1. Multi-tasking
    2. Notifications
    3. Keypad
    4. Customization (Tweaks)
    Feel free to add more.

Give people ammunition when someone comes up with an Iphone or Droid and starts ripping the pre. The average person does not know what to come back with to put them in their place.

A side to side commercial with the iphone showing how the pre gets a notification and the iphone gets theirs. That would be hilarious to watch. Show the fan boy keep getting interrupted and launching his phone out into the street.

I'm done... I feel better now!!
    Last edited by TJB; 02/14/2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I do not understand this, but thought the sales people have to be getting a kick back somehow. Palm needs to better adv the pre.
    I don't think it's a kickback. It could be a couple or reasons.

(1) A salesperson wants to make a pretty sure sale with a famous name and brand, not improve the quality of the customer's phone experience by risking losing a sale by showing them another phone they don't know. Web OS may provide a better phone but Android + Google and almost 20,000 applications convinces the customer this is the next iPhone... kaching!

(2) Verizon makes a better margin off the Droid and gives employees better training for these devices

(3) Android has been out a while on Verizon and employees are familiar with it already

No conspiracy. I think that when the Pre came out on Sprint, Verizon didn't really feel like it has a major premium and selling point above other phones. Palm is left doing the campaign itself and it seems complacent with moderate sales numbers, following the gradual plan.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Independent resellers make all their money on the product, and there's very little markup, 5% or so is the average for consumer electronics. Sprint stores, however, are not only owned by Sprint directly, and get a better price due to bulk ordering, but as was said, their potential loss is covered by the $99 per month service plan sold with every phone. THAT profit is fairly huge, it's how any cell carrier stays in business in the first place........not on hardware sales.
    Wrong. Most Sprint stores are locally owned. Only the corporate stores are owned by Sprint. Every cell phone sold is sold at a lost. The Pre costs $332.49 for my store to buy. We make the money back by you paying your bill every month for two years with us getting a percentage of that. We do get bulk pricing but it is for only the stores that we own, not all Sprint stores nationwide. This is why Best Buy and Radio Shack can sell phones for less than Sprint stores do. It is a crappy business.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I sure when flash is available we could walk into any store and convince the sales people to at least show the palm pre to customers and let them make the decision. I know alot of people don't think this will help sell the phone but do you realize how many people play online games and watch videos online. I know Hulu is going to block mobile but maybe not fancast or other sites ABC,NBC,FOX,ESPN highlights are a much.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dm7864 View Post
    I sure when flash is available we could walk into any store and convince the sales people to at least show the palm pre to customers and let them make the decision. I know alot of people don't think this will help sell the phone but do you realize how many people play online games and watch videos online. I know Hulu is going to block mobile but maybe not fancast or other sites ABC,NBC,FOX,ESPN highlights are a much.
    Not sure who to believe some sites say that Verizon has ordered more phones up to 600k which is another 200k from there first order but other sites say they aren't selling well.

I wish we could get the truth not that it matters but would like to know that's all.
    BlackBerry users are right up there with Apple users. They get roped into purchasing overly priced hardware because of marketing prowess. They buy becuase "everybody else is".

Then when these people are shown a device owned by someone else that actually knows how to use it, they are blown away. I know plenty of people that say "I need to get email on my phone and everybody says to get a BlackBerry." Or my other favorite, "I need a BlackBerry for work." I just laugh out loud! And I'm not even talking about pulling mail from an Exchange server, I'm talking simple POP3 ****!

My wife had an LG Lotus that had a built in Gmail client....for FREE! WHY OH WHY do people think that BlackBerry is the only way to get email in real time? And once I explain there is no need to install any extra software and/or pay any extra fees to get your email with a Palm Pre or other phones, they are more confused then when it started! They ask, "Then why do people get BlackBerries and iPhones then?"

The reasons are exactly listed in the author's thread. Unless consumers actually do their homework, they will be steered to whatever the sale's persons personal favorite is or whatever they might think is cool for you.

Palm needs to do some real marketing and stop leaving it up to the carriers. Its obvious the carriers are interesting in selling sizzle and are ignoring the steak. If anyone trying the Blackberry looked past the email part and tried using that ****ty browser for 10 minutes, they would throw the phone down.
    I went to best buy, about a month ago, before I got my pre (I'm on day 5 with my pre now, love it!), and I was looking at the pre, and the sales rep came up to me and was like, you should check out the droid! He said "if your'e a smart phone user, android is the way to go" I said I was more interested in webos, he still tried to convince me about android. They really need to learn what webos is like!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I hope with the new commercials there will be more people asking to see the palm pre when the head to best buy and Verizon
    I used to work for CompUSA and I was a very honest computer sales person. We were on comission, but by doing the right thing would always lead to earning more money.

What I did was qualify the customers needs first. Granted I had my favorite pick's of computer brand and models, but I've always asked questions to see what they want to do and what they can afford, and I meet them with that computer. Too many times have I seen salespersons sell only Mac, Custom Built, or the most expensive model and insurance plan. In the end, it was overkill.

One time a woman came to my station that I was manning, and I overheard a salesperson sell her the most expensive custom built computer. I also overheard her say she wanted it for video editing too. Well the computer she was getting didn't have any software or additional hardware to do what she wanted, but one model down from that (about a couple hundred dollars less) had a capture card plus a simple video software to start with AND double the memory. When I told her this, she felt more convinced that that's what she needed and told the sales person that she wanted that model because it had what she needed plus the double of memory and all the necessary horsepower.

Even though his sale turned out profitable, he still pitched a fit at me for telling her to buy the other model that didn't have the most profit margin, and I got his case for not qualifying her.

Anyways, that's my story.... I simply hate how people will push what they like, instead of meeting the customers needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by srt4magoo View Post
    Wrong. Most Sprint stores are locally owned. Only the corporate stores are owned by Sprint. Every cell phone sold is sold at a lost. The Pre costs $332.49 for my store to buy. We make the money back by you paying your bill every month for two years with us getting a percentage of that. We do get bulk pricing but it is for only the stores that we own, not all Sprint stores nationwide. This is why Best Buy and Radio Shack can sell phones for less than Sprint stores do. It is a crappy business.
    You're probably right-er. My Sprint store here is, I think, a franchise, but they have the edge of being the regional repair center, for what its worth. Selling phones isn't their first priority, although they do carry most of the line.

I did agree with you in another post, just using a different example. Music shops like Sam Ash and Musicians Friend buy those cheapie Squeir Strat Packs in batches of 500 over the holidays, and sell them like crazy. My old shop could only buy maybe 50 over the entire season.......of course, MF and Ash got a lower dealer price, they bought ten times as many. In turn, if I had to price match, my store made less in profit. So to that extent, I can understand franchised Verizon stores pushing the Droid more, good Lord, you had information overload on that phone, everybody (including my retired mom) knew about that dang thing. I just find its when the smaller stores take matters seriously, and push and equally, if not more, capable phone just as hard, they do make the money.......especially around here. The Verizon store on the edge of town here is going under because of that. Skip the cheapie phones, or even the moderate feature phones, and just push the Droid. Um. Average income here is 30k in a highly paid household, nobody has that kind of money to spend on a phone. Killed the store, word got out that they were pushing expensive products and ignoring your requests.....don't want to do that.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Okay,
    I have my own experience in COSTCO Verizon booth. The sales guy was a Verizon smart phone expert. I asked him about PALM Pre. He said they don't have any , but its coming in a week. Then the second expert guy joins the conversation with "Why do you want PALM Pre". I said because its the best smartphone out there. He goes , "Let me show you a phone that blows any smartphone out there including the iPhone". He gave me a Droid. The utter ignorant guy also said Android has more apps than iPhone. I said " wow that's great, I didn't know about that" and left.

These guys are pushing Droid. They have no clue about the phone features. And Droid looks great in the hand so most folks are falling for its looks.
    Yupper, same problem at Best Buy....no inventory. They only had display models for the Sprint's Palm Pre and Verizon's Palm Pre Plus, no unit available on the floor and I think she mentioned getting Pre Plus in a couple weeks???

At least the BB rep, didn't try to convince me out of the Palm Pre Plus. Sorli...
    I really believe the webos interface is far more intuitive then any other out there at this time. the visual indication of the different apps give a really nice way of 'wrapping your brain' around whats going on behind the scenes. The gestures are also very refined and intuitive.

There are already some pretty nice apps out there, but the system reeks of potential.

I'm definately a tech person, but i get easily frustrated by bad user interfaces. its smooth sailing with my pre though.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234