Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'd get email before my pc. I mean on my pearl.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Also, Palm needs to come with some compelling high-end hardware YESTERDAY. The software is almost there, but it still takes way too long to launch apps and scroll long lists. Palm's already had eight months to get WebOS to catch up with the hardware of the Pre. Who knows if it'll ever happen? The best step is to pull an HD2/Nexus One and throw next-gen hardware at it to try and get that iPhone-esque smoothness and responsiveness.
    I agree. Palm's "Plus" series was a poor attempt to follow Palm's plan of making money off gradual upgrades and ignoring the market standard for hardware. I'm waiting for Verizon to potentially discount the Palm Pre Plus but I don't think it's going to happen. Hopefully soon they will have announced some new hardware.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I love the palm pre plus and think from a business point releasing this phone with a new keyboard and twice the memory was a smart money choice. If that can sell more phones to generate capitol then they can invest in R&D for next phone. I guess it's a tough call on were you get the most bang for your buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by dm7864 View Post
    I love the palm pre plus and think from a business point releasing this phone with a new keyboard and twice the memory was a smart money choice. If that can sell more phones to generate capitol then they can invest in R&D for next phone. I guess it's a tough call on were you get the most bang for your buck.
    In a vacuum, yes. But when your initial phone comes out with 8GB and the competition comes out with 32GB, a bump to 16GB is a sad enhancement. It's barely the market entry point, especially when Verizon is selling phones to compete with the Pre that are capable of 32GB or more. Palm should have just put in a microSD card and make the phone cheaper and more expandable.
    16GB or 32GB, I don't think most people even care.
    Nobody even talks about how much storage the Droid has, but I know a bunch of people that bought one. Even though phones had been out for a while with Android OS, they marketed the hell out of it and it stuck. I think WebOS could use some brand recognition more than more memory/card slot/new form factor. The OS is the real star of the phone. Motorola really needed to come up with something because they hadn't put out a decent phone in a while. They used to be king, but there are all these new phones out there and the whole new smartphone category. So they and verizon tossed a ton of money at it.

Adding a microSD card slot would mean another issue to work out in the GUI, managing storage between onboard and the card. It also would mean having to fit another item on the PC board of the phone, and fitting the slot in with the phone design. They went with a sleeker more organic look to the phone, and if they listened to people on web forums it would end up looking like every other brick phone out there. Droid, HTC whatevers (I can't even keep track of which model is which) they all pretty much look similar.
    even tho I agree with microSD SLOT. 16 g is hardly a 'sad' enhancement.

it's the OS, ppl.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Like I mentioned in my first post I had a 8 gig card in my storm and never used a 1/3 of it. I know the apps for the storm are smaller and don't reside on the SD card but with say 20 movies,a bunch of songs and a ton of photos it still never filled the card. I agree with joshewah it doesn't appear to be a make or break point on the buyers side. Is there anyone who can post us and let us know if they filled a 16 gig card and if so with what.

I know the 3d games take up more space but we are talking about maybe over 85 plus 3D games if they are 200 meg each (someone check my math LOL).
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    Why? Because Verizon owns the Droid name so they make more money by selling a Droid than they do by selling other phones. I'm sure the reps are trained to talk customers into the Droid whenever possible.
    Actually George Lucas owns the Droid name. Motorola must pay a license fee to use the name.

Lucas Films Ltd owns Droid!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I didn't know that he owns the Droid name I wonder how much that cost
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    16GB or 32GB, I don't think most people even care.
    Nobody even talks about how much storage the Droid has, but I know a bunch of people that bought one. Even though phones had been out for a while with Android OS, they marketed the hell out of it and it stuck. I think WebOS could use some brand recognition more than more memory/card slot/new form factor. The OS is the real star of the phone. Motorola really needed to come up with something because they hadn't put out a decent phone in a while. They used to be king, but there are all these new phones out there and the whole new smartphone category. So they and verizon tossed a ton of money at it.

Adding a microSD card slot would mean another issue to work out in the GUI, managing storage between onboard and the card. It also would mean having to fit another item on the PC board of the phone, and fitting the slot in with the phone design. They went with a sleeker more organic look to the phone, and if they listened to people on web forums it would end up looking like every other brick phone out there. Droid, HTC whatevers (I can't even keep track of which model is which) they all pretty much look similar.
    +1 IMO:
    -One well produced and polished ad campaign highlighting the OS.
    &
    -One strong advertising slogan like "THE PHONE YOU CAN"T LIVE WITHOUT!".

Would make a world of difference to Palm Pre and even Pixi sales.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Two things (ok, maybe three):

1. I am a 44 year old woman who loves owning a smartphone that I can patch, tweak, and troubleshoot, not to mention playing games, and taking care of my PIM needs and busy life. Would all you young, testosterone-laden men stop generalizing about women, moms, and who wants/knows how to use/is interested in a given phone os? Thanks.

2. My Pre generally receives my gmail a good five to 10 seconds faster than my laptop, fwiw.

3. I totally agree that one way or another we need to get the word out about this great phone/os. I am disgusted at the Verizon sales people I have seen people post about on this and other threads. I worked in retail for years, and while I was always willing and encouraged to give my opinion, I never told people what NOT to buy (unless it was a widely known POS -- not my opinion, but consumer's digest or such). I would have lost my job had I done that and been found out. Unfortunately, most of my friends and coworkers, male and female, are really only interested in a feature phone, at best...I am one of the "techier" people in my group. Sigh. I keep trying...

I like the idea of "I know WebOS" shirts, if only I weren't working 50-60 hours a week. :grin:
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I didn't mean to say there were no moms/women who loved smartphones but you must admit there are more testosterone-laden men who crave these type of phones. I know my wife only wants to just push one button to talk and txt.

If it wasn't for my habit of studying all the pros and cons of my purchases I may have been more influenced to purchase a phone a sales person may have pushed. It goes to show you that the average person can be influenced by media/sale forces.

We have to continue to show our palm pre phones to everyone we know. A friend just stopped by that I haven't seen in a while and he is around 30 years old and never heard of the palm pre. We have our work cut out
    Yeah, you're right. Even judging by P|C you guys outnumber us women...I'm just tired of hearing, "Ewww, girls phone...no moms want this..." You know what I mean...been seeing these in comments all over the front-page articles, as well as in various threads. Makes some people sound like they think women can't be techies and/or into power use. I didn't mean to lump you in with that, just got frustrated. Sorry.

Keep teaching the masses about our awesome OS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Even judging by P|C you guys outnumber us women...I'm just tired of hearing, "Ewww, girls phone...no moms want this..." You know what I mean...been seeing these in comments all over the front-page articles, as well as in various threads. Makes some people sound like they think women can't be techies and/or into power use. I didn't mean to lump you in with that, just got frustrated. Sorry.

Keep teaching the masses about our awesome OS!!!!!!
    My wife said she's offended they think they can target her with an ad like that. Especially with reminders of how woman used to be viewed (and still are in many places). She's like, i would want to know what the phone does just like anyone else.

IMO, you show off the phone, especially its strengths, and see what sticks. Focus on those things people usually mention they absolutely love about smartphones like the browser, ease of finding info, media, etc. Tie multitasking/notifications into it as it can only be explained by showing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    My wife said she's offended they think they can target her with an ad like that. Especially with reminders of how woman used to be viewed (and still are in many places). She's like, i would want to know what the phone does just like anyone else.

IMO, you show off the phone, especially its strengths, and see what sticks. Focus on those things people usually mention they absolutely love about smartphones like the browser, ease of finding info, media, etc. Tie multitasking/notifications into it as it can only be explained by showing it.
    I agree that if they are targeting women it's offensive (although kinda funny if you are my age and remember ads that objectified women that way, things really have changed to a degree), but I wonder if they are actually targeting men's ideas about women in an effort to get them to buy the phone for the women/moms in their lives.

That said, I really wish advertising for the Pre/Pixi would stop targeting individual demographics and show off what the phone can do, like you said.

Eh, the mom ads (granted I haven't even seen one on television, but I see about 10 Sprint commercials a day and I don't watch that much tv) are no worse than the testosterone-fueled suckage that was the DROID DOES commercials. I'd surprised everyone's being a whiny ***** about it, I seem to recall you guys being so excited when you thought you could get a cute little pink Pixi fairy to give to your image conscious girlfriends and wives. What Verizon is doing is no different, except for of course, they decided to bypass using the less capable device and instead offered up your uber-manly Pre to the hordes of moms ultimately responsible for most of household purchases, which includes cellular phone plans and devices.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My wife loves her Pre! She is what I call a resistent techy!! Years ago it took me months to get her to even consider using our Tivo(DVR) system, now she is lost without having her pause and rewind button! I broke her resistence to smartphones when I got my Pre and she tookover my Treo 755! Her jump to the Pre was actually pretty easy! But now I couldn't see her using anything else!
    16g of memory is plenty for me. I have an 8g itouch I've had since they came out and I have <5g on it. I have my entire iphoto library on it, a bunch of music an apps. As long as you can mount it as an external drive I don't see a need for a sdcard. The real star is WebOS not the hardware it's running on. It is the best smartphone os out there. Palm just needs to get the word out
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driver60 View Post
    16g of memory is plenty for me. I have an 8g itouch I've had since they came out and I have <5g on it. I have my entire iphoto library on it, a bunch of music an apps. As long as you can mount it as an external drive I don't see a need for a sdcard. The real star is WebOS not the hardware it's running on. It is the best smartphone os out there. Palm just needs to get the word out
    I agree about the memory! I have maybe 150 songs on my pre and maybe have actually listened to less the 50! It has always amazed me to look at peoples Iphones/Itouchs/Ipods and seen thousands of songs which take forever to actually find a song you want to hear, or you keep looking for "abetter song" instead of just listening!
    Quote Originally Posted by skypilotks View Post
    I agree about the memory! I have maybe 150 songs on my pre and maybe have actually listened to less the 50! It has always amazed me to look at peoples Iphones/Itouchs/Ipods and seen thousands of songs which take forever to actually find a song you want to hear, or you keep looking for "abetter song" instead of just listening!
    Wait...I have 1000's of songs on my Pre . Guess I'm lucky I have an eidetic memory (mostly), so I know what's there and can find it by typing it in. I do swap out stuff, pretty regularly, so I don't overload the memory, though. One of the advantages of being able to use the Pre in usb mode.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast