1.    #1  
    In my right hand I hold a Movistar GSM Palm Pre, from Spain, fully unlocked and fully functional on AT&T's USA network including EDGE data, but without 3G data speeds due to the communications card being for Dual Band EU 3G frequencies 900 and 2100.

In my left hand I hold a Telcel GSM Palm Pre, from Mexico, totally locked tighter than a virgin wearing a chastity belt. This Pre has a communications card with dual band North american 3G frequencies 850 and 1900 - With a Telcel SIM card inserted this Pre will connect to AT&T's 3G network, and utilizes the 3G features of AT&T's network, the 3G icon is lit up, however it is roaming. Telcel gets to charge roaming fees and they are the steepest in the land.

On the table in front of me are instructions detailing the steps to dissassemble and reassemble a Palm Pre. The communications daughterboard lies below the battery and is removed from the rear slider. Dissambly of the entire phone isn't required, only the first few steps of the dissassembly are needed to be able to remove the communication daughterboards.

Besides voiding the warranty on two Palm Pre's purchased at <gasp> full retail price, I wonder what the result's of swapping their communications daughterboards would be????? ....... Maybe a 3G Palm Pre on AT&T..

PreCentral members, give me some insight here. Could the Telcel Pre be simlocked at the communications board level?

It does connect to the proper north american 3G frequencies with a Telcel SIM card.

Reviewing my options here before moving forward with anything.

Input is welcome.
    Thanks,
    TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/12/2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Sorry, I don't have any answers for you buddy. Just wanted to wish you all the best. You are a brave soul.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $SIMlocking$ $occurs$ $in$ $the$ $baseband$ $processor$ $which$ $is$ $most$ $likely$ $on$ $the$ $comms$ $daughterboard$.

Without seeing them close-up (and I'm not taking mine apart 'cos it's working for me) I can't say much more about the location except "Nothing ventured, nothing gained".
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    PreCentral members, give me some insight here. Could the Telcel Pre be simlocked at the communications board level?

It does connect to the proper north american 3G frequencies with a Telcel SIM card.

Reviewing my options here before moving forward with anything.

Input is welcome.
    Thanks,
    TTB
    The Pre probably is SIM locked at the communications board level. You best option may be to wait for the Pre to be available on AT&T.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $SIMlocking$ $occurs$ $in$ $the$ $baseband$ $processor$ $which$ $is$ $most$ $likely$ $on$ $the$ $comms$ $daughterboard$.

Without seeing them close-up (and I'm not taking mine apart 'cos it's working for me) I can't say much more about the location except "Nothing ventured, nothing gained".
    You're right, So I ventured. About the only thing gained was confirmation the Telcel Simlock is indeed on the communications board. The Telcel Communications board in the "unlocked" Movistar Palm Pre produces the familiar "Enter Network Subsidy Unlock Code" on power up.

Here's some more info for the curious. The communications board from the Telcel Pre has NA stamped on it whereas the communication board from the unlocked Movistar Pre has an EU stamped on it.

The disassembly instructions with pictures I found at
    Palm Pre Teardown - iFixit were created using a Sprint Pre and the communications board in those pictures has CDMA stamped on it.

Not much gained, however I ventured two factory warranty's. Thankfully both Pre's remain functional after I put them back together with their original communication boards. Now if only I could stumble across a couple of those tiny "Palm" stickers that were covering the top right corner screw heads before I pierced them with my T5 screwdriver .......
    Barry, would you mind taking some pictures? I wonder if there are some more hardware savvy people around can try to find the JTAG pinout, and access the modem firmware directly for an unlock.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Barry, I applaud your energy, effort, knowledge and risk taking. However, with a very strong (maybe) liklihood that either an AT&T version or at least unlocked North American GSM version will be available around June would the cost benefit really be worth it? If you got this combined device working is there anyway to do so without having to purchase or acquire at least two Pre's --or would it be conceivable to get some parts without having to drop $500 each on a couple of Pre's?

Just curious what your thought process on this one is.

Thanks,
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Actually on a side note, another thing to try, find a Verizon Pre Plus with a bad ESN, swap the board into it. You might possibly get the first GSM Pre Plus...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Barry, would you mind taking some pictures? I wonder if there are some more hardware savvy people around can try to find the JTAG pinout, and access the modem firmware directly for an unlock.
    Toni, as requested:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/14/2010 at 01:53 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Actually on a side note, another thing to try, find a Verizon Pre Plus with a bad ESN, swap the board into it. You might possibly get the first GSM Pre Plus...
    What a great idea Toni.
    Think I'll wait until either the Telcel Comm board is unlocked, or the AT&T Pre gets released with a comm board that supports 3G on AT&T, then buy the Pre Plus unit with a bad ESN and put the comm board into it!

You're a genius!
    I guess not much help there, layout it's all under the heatsink... thanks anyways Barry.

One thing to note though, it seems like the layout of the JTAG pins are the same for the CDMA board:

12.    #12  
    I guess not much help there, layout it's all under the heatsink... thanks anyways Barry.

One thing to note though, it seems like the layout of the JTAG pins are the same for the CDMA board:

I'd tear it down further, removing the heatsinks, to reveal the chipsets, and pinouts, however I really don't want to ruin my good Telcel comm board (albeit locked) in order to get to an unlock solution.

I know, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Isn't that what they train a suicide bomber to believe .....
    What a great idea Toni.
    Think I'll wait until either the Telcel Comm board is unlocked, or the AT&T Pre gets released with a comm board that supports 3G on AT&T, then buy the Pre Plus unit with a bad ESN and put the comm board into it!

You're a genius!
    Actually... chances are the AT&T Pre is already the Pre Plus. Mad props for DIY effort though.

Or... you can do the swap now with the Euro unit, then sell it back to Europe. There, first Euro GSM Pre Plus. You'll probably get top dollars for it to cover for your losses in case the Telcel can't be unlocked.

Last edited by ToniCipriani; 02/14/2010 at 04:16 PM.

In my right hand I hold a Movistar GSM Palm Pre, from Spain...

In my left hand I hold a Telcel GSM Palm Pre, from Mexico...
    Forget wether it'll work or not, I wanna know how you're typing while holding a phone in each hand
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by llama233 View Post
    Forget wether it'll work or not, I wanna know how you're typing while holding a phone in each hand
    Toes .....
  16.    #16  
    Actually... chances are the AT&T Pre is already the Pre Plus. Mad props for DIY effort though.

Or... you can do the swap now with the Euro unit, then sell it back to Europe. There, first Euro GSM Pre Plus. You'll probably get top dollars for it to cover for your losses in case the Telcel can't be unlocked.

Fabulous money making idea, except I'm using the Euro unit right now on AT&T with EDGE data. Using a Wi-Fi connection whenever I have one available helps to deal with the lack of 3G.

Might buy a BAD ESN Verizon unit for the heck of it though.