Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Maybe I am nitpicking but my Pre Plus top and bottom halves (touchscreen and keyboard respectively) aren't lined up quite right when closed. When the phone is closed the touchscreen half is misaligned a little to the left when you look at the edge. It is about .75 mm off towards the bottom half if you look at the right edge.

Does anybody else have this same defect?

Everything else about the phone is fantastic.
    This is not uncommon.
    Quote Originally Posted by crumb View Post
    Maybe I am nitpicking but my Pre Plus top and bottom halves (touchscreen and keyboard respectively) aren't lined up quite right when closed. When the phone is closed the touchscreen half is misaligned a little to the left when you look at the edge. It is about .75 mm off towards the bottom half if you look at the right edge.

Does anybody else have this same defect?

Everything else about the phone is fantastic.
    Are you able to twist the two halves in order to line them back up? Curious to see if you have the oreo effect going on where the two halves can be twisted out of alignment with each other easily.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    No, not really. There really isn't any play twisting it.
    My palm Pre Plus seems to be aligned perfectly. I cannot see any misalignment between the sections when closed.
    Both of mine have been off of alignment. My first one had no play at all but got really really hot and this second wiggles a bit when slid open but pretty solid when closed. The keyboard is better on this second one as well.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have the same problem with my new Pre Plus. Strange thing happened with my first as it started getting loose and started "clicking" everywhere. No "oreo" but clicks everywhere. I'm on my second Pre Plus now.
    All these trolls on this board!!!! Come on...the phone is amazing....My phone has no slider issues
    Yeah, I just got mine in Tuesday. It started out really solid but after a few times where I tried to open and close the slider with the USB cable in, it got looser and looser. Actually I was going to post in a new thread about how the USB cable, when inserted causes some kind of bending or buckling in the casing and seems to have messed up my slider.

Has anyone else noticed this as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18 View Post
    All these trolls on this board!!!! Come on...the phone is amazing....My phone has no slider issues
    Only troll here is you and anyone stating this phone doesn't have some serious build quality issues is blind as hell. The OS is fantastic and I will forever stand by that but there is a serious manufacturing or design problem with this phone that needs some serious looking into.
    The build quality is no better/worse than any other phone out there. There has been a poll on this and it was a landslide in favor of people with no build issues. We have 3 launch day Pre's with no problems, forums attract unhappy users like a street light attracts bugs, just a fact of life.
    There is a difference between people who are willing to accept a product with problems as just fine and then others that take serious issue with said problems. For instance the people at Verizon told me that the oreo is normal and they can't do anything about it. You have to be kidding me? A phone of that price (rebates excluded) with both half's twisting like they are is absolutely unacceptable. A friend owns the second gen LG Chocolate a supposedly cheaper and much less sophisticated phone then the Pre, and it has ZERO play in the slider and I mean zero.

The biggest issue perhaps the Pre has had is the slider. While a small amount of play is normal for a slider phone the amount of play people have been having from there pres is far from normal. That in my eyes is a design or manufacturing problem.

But of course there's the other side of the blade where a person like you might not have an issue with something like that and feel that its absolutely not a design fault. But you can't tell me that all the physical problems people have been having don't indicate some sort of issue with the hardware. For crying out loud people have had cracks appearing on there phones just by using the charging port.

That is not normal and no one will convince me it is. Maybe if I was paying 20 bucks for this phone I might be willing to accept that but even then Id be hard pressed, and yes I know that was awhile ago and some things might have been corrected, but the fact is some of those issues are still happening on current day pre's.

Forums polls are you serious? Give me a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    There is a difference between people who are willing to accept a product with problems as just fine and then others that take serious issue with said problems. For instance the people at Verizon told me that the oreo is normal and they can't do anything about it. You have to be kidding me? A phone of that price (rebates excluded) with both half's twisting like they are is absolutely unacceptable. A friend owns the second gen LG Chocolate a supposedly cheaper and much less sophisticated phone then the Pre, and it has ZERO play in the slider and I mean zero.

The biggest issue perhaps the Pre has had is the slider. While a small amount of play is normal for a slider phone the amount of play people have been having from there pres is far from normal. That in my eyes is a design or manufacturing problem.

But of course there's the other side of the blade where a person like you might not have an issue with something like that and feel that its absolutely not a design fault. But you can't tell me that all the physical problems people have been having don't indicate some sort of issue with the hardware. For crying out loud people have had cracks appearing on there phones just by using the charging port.

That is not normal and no one will convince me it is. Maybe if I was paying 20 bucks for this phone I might be willing to accept that but even then Id be hard pressed, and yes I know that was awhile ago and some things might have been corrected, but the fact is some of those issues are still happening on current day pre's.

Yep
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I have to say I love this phone. I haven't had it for even a week yet but I am very happy with it. I was mostly curious if this slight misalignment was a common thing or not. The rest of the phone is solid.

I have been a palm fan since the treo600 and was sad to see the palmOS go away but I am happy with this next generation. I kinda miss my stylus though.
    Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved the phone every min I had it (all issues aside) and I love the design it self as well. But I simply had to replace it to many times for various different reasons.

Bottom line is that misalignment more then likely isn't normal. At least the phones I went through all aligned fine. But if it doesn't really bother you a whole lot I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by crumb View Post
    I kinda miss my stylus though.
    Interesting. I never used the stylus EVER. I was a D-pad kinda guy.

Not having a D-Pad is the only "hardware defect" I've found after months of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post

i think it comes down to what kind of phones you've had before.
    If you've just had the same old phone for years then you're pretty much not expecting much from your phone.
    In europe its the norm to change your phone every year, although its now every 2 years. Still, even then you get a very high end phone for free.

Kinda like Skoda drivers and ANY luxury car buyers, the skoda guy isnt expecting much more than "it gets me from A to B" , whereas the luxury car buyer wants the office, pool and all in his car.

Also some ppl here are just die hard fans
    I've had so many phones since I got service back in 1999. One thing that I have realized is all phones have issues there's "no perfect phone". I don't think the Pre's build quality is any worse then other phones. For example the Tour had the track ball issues and to "me" it just doesn't feel that solid. The Hero has dust issues under the display. People just spend way to much time trying to find issues rather then just enjoying there phone.
    I think the Pre slider is really about Rubenstein trying to out-Apple Apple.

The problem is, Palm either doesn't have enough pull with the market to get the build quality up - beggers can't be choosers.

Or the design is fundamentally flawed and to perfect the phone, it would need the kind of high end parts (think air craft materials) that would result in the phone costing $1000+.

I am really dissapointed with the form direction Palm has gone with the itsy bitsy keyboards.

Many here have asked for a Treo sized device.

Maybe they really ought to license out their OS, and then collaborate with manufacturers.
    Funny, I didn't realize this on mine until I read this. The actual sliding mechanisim is rock solid though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast