Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm will ship as many as 1 million webOS phones in its current quarter, according to estimates from Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu. Pointing to industry sources, the expert believes Palm will have seen a sudden rush between December and February thanks to the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus and should ship many more than the roughly 780,000 it moved in the earlier period. Adding Verizon may have given Palm another 550,000 to 600,000 shipments alone, according to the insiders.

Unexpectedly, those same contacts also claim that those buying the Pre Plus or Pixi Plus are often picking these over Verizon's HTC Droid Eris and Motorola Droid rather than more conspicuously aging smartphone platforms, such as BlackBerry and Windows Mobile.

Palm seen shipping 1 million phones this quarter | Electronista
    ...idk didn't someone from palm say there were disappointed with the sales of the Pre/Pixi plus? This sounds like pretty good numbers to me.
    Those are good, but unconfirmed numbers. The numbers that matter are sellthrough, which Palm will have to announce in their earnings call in 30 days or so.

Then, we will finally know once and for all if the Verizon launch is a success or not.
    Another analyst said he was disappointed in Verizon sales, not Palm. So, that can be taken for what it's worth...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Isn't shipping and customers purchasing two different things?
    Yes....like I said, SELLTHROUGH. I think they had 100,000 PLUS devices sitting on store shelves unsold with last quarter's numbers. Not good.

this is probably the best summary of all the little trends and analysts floating around out there.

all in all, it seems none of them are much better informed than what you could get a feeling for here on the forums, which, given some analysts use of actual form polls in the past for there predictions, isn't really a surprise.

Are Palm's phones selling well at Verizon? - MarketWatch
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    this is probably the best summary of all the little trends and analysts floating around out there.

all in all, it seems none of them are much better informed than what you could get a feeling for here on the forums, which, given some analysts use of actual form polls in the past for there predictions, isn't really a surprise.

Are Palm's phones selling well at Verizon? - MarketWatch
    The comments about Verizon employees favoring the Droid over the palm phones has been confirmed by several people here in the forums. Does anybody know why this would be? Do the employees get a better commission selling the Droid?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yes....like I said, SELLTHROUGH. I think they had 100,000 PLUS devices sitting on store shelves unsold with last quarter's numbers. Not good.
    Plus devices existed last quarter?
    i think he meant, there was in excess of 100,000 devices.

part of which would be expected because the big pixi shipments would have gone out in that quarter, but only went on sale at that quarters end.

not that it accounts for all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Another analyst said he was disappointed in Verizon sales, not Palm. So, that can be taken for what it's worth...
    That might have been based on this Barron's article citing Piper Jaffray.

[url= Palm's phones selling well at Verizon? - MarketWatch[/url]
    You're right. Who knows I guess. All I know is that with little support from Verizon and their HORRIBLE advertising campaign, they're still selling phones.

Speaks to the strength of the platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by mullrat View Post
    You're right. Who knows I guess. All I know is that with little support from Verizon and their HORRIBLE advertising campaign, they're still selling phones.

Speaks to the strength of the platform.
    If you keep telling yourself this and posting new threads just to say it, maybe it will be true.

What I'd like to know is WHO is buying these phones? From what I've heard, including in stores, the overwhelming majority are prior Palm Treo or Centro owners, not new customers. I highly doubt people are walking into the store and saying to themsleves "Hmmm.... now which would be a superior platform. Let me first determine if the iPhone backs up to the cloud...." It's difficult to say how well these are selling. I don't work in the store and hoped to hear from someone who has some hard numbers.

We'll have our numbers soon enough and then we'll be able to figure out whether there really is demand or Palm is in an opium enhanced smokescreen.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    If you keep telling yourself this and posting new threads just to say it, maybe it will be true.

What I'd like to know is WHO is buying these phones? From what I've heard, including in stores, the overwhelming majority are prior Palm Treo or Centro owners, not new customers. I highly doubt people are walking into the store and saying to themsleves "Hmmm.... now which would be a superior platform. Let me first determine if the iPhone backs up to the cloud...." It's difficult to say how well these are selling. I don't work in the store and hoped to hear from someone who has some hard numbers.

We'll have our numbers soon enough and then we'll be able to figure out whether there really is demand or Palm is in an opium enhanced smokescreen.
    I am a new user and so are some of my friends, so do you have any official stats to back up your statement of the percentages of existing Palm owners in relationship to new users?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    i think he meant, there was in excess of 100,000 devices.

part of which would be expected because the big pixi shipments would have gone out in that quarter, but only went on sale at that quarters end.

not that it accounts for all of them.
    oh gotcha. +100,000. lol
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I am a new user and so are some of my friends, so do you have any official stats to back up your statement of the percentages of existing Palm owners in relationship to new users?
    I guess technically my wife and I were returning Palm customers since we own(ed) 1 TX each.

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Congratulations! May the force be with you. Exactly where did I or anyone else state any percentages? I guess now we can add at least 2 new users to the list of new Palm owners, a 200% growth over the previous week's list of Pre owning friends.

Unlike yourself, I really felt that my time was better spent doing something else other than taking an official survey at the Verizon information counter for you. Perhaps this is a good after school project for you and your friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Congratulations! May the force be with you. Exactly where did I or anyone else state any percentages? I guess now we can add at least 2 new users to the list of new Palm owners, a 200% growth over the previous week's list of Pre owning friends.

Unlike yourself, I really felt that my time was better spent doing something else other than taking an official survey at the Verizon information counter for you. Perhaps this is a good after school project for you and your friends.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Isn't shipping and customers purchasing two different things?
    Yes, and no. The carriers are Palm's customers. They buy the phones and resell them. Unless Palm has some crazy "we'll buy them back if you can't sell them" agreement, sell through is not an issue for Palm, it's an issue for the carriers.

Of course, long term, that turns into an issue for Palm, but it sounds as if the "toast" predictions about Palm are bit off...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast