1.    #1  
    I always thought I was one of the lucky ones. My launch day Pre was a perfect build, had no slider issues, no crashes, etc.

About three weeks ago I got a hairline crack on the screen starting at the earpiece, heading straight down into the center. My local sprint repair center (third party) put me in for a warranty replacement, and it took four different trips and four different refurbs before I got one that seemd "ok". The first two had bad sliders and one had a crack at the USB...doesn't seem to be much quality control regarding refurbs!

5 days after accepting the latest refurb, the slider deteriorated into full oreo twist, the center button sunk down, the light sensor isn't working, and the on/off switch is loose! This was an October build, refurbed in December.

I called Sprint support yesterday and after spending an hour being bounced from person to person, being put on hold, and finally being told I was abusing the system for getting so many phones replaced...again, my launch day pre had one problem 7 months later and I abuse the system because they sent bad refurbs that were never activated? Needless to say I wasn't happy being a longtime customer, and when I was being transferred to the "escalations dept" I was put on hold for 15 minutes before being disconnected.

Against my instincts I actually didn't lose it and called back. I told my story to the level one tech that answered, including the disconnect from a few minutes prior, expecting the transfers to start again. He put me on hold for about 2 minutes before coming back with an apology for my inconvenience and actually offered to send me a NEW pre...not a refurb. He also told me I don't need to send anything back either so I have an extra Battery, cord, etc!

Sorry for the long post, but I guess the message is KEEP TRYING! Stay polite, stay calm, and don't give up. Sooner or later you get the right person and they actually take care of the problem!
    I have to say I'm shocked. I went through a similar process in December after my on off button stopped working due to a manufacturers defect. The replacement from the tech store had a defect. Sprint then mailed me a phone to the wrong address. So 5 days later no phone I spent literally 6 hours on the phone with Sprint reps on a Saturday who told me all they could do was mail a phone to the correct address and that it would arrive on 4 days later on Wednesday. I kept getting dropped on transfers to escalation departments repeatedly, and actually was lied to by 1 tech who said he gave my account an authorization to go to a sprint store and get a new phone as a replacement. The store manager sent me on my way laughing saying they don't give out new phones for manufacturers defects ever and was beyond rude in the process.

Eventually I settled for a one time credit of 1 months service. Sounds good till you factor in the 7+ days without a working phone and 20+ hours of dealing with sprint reps on the phone and in person.

I've been a customer with sprint on a family plan for nearly 10 years and no longer would consider myself a "loyal customer". If it wasn't a family plan I'd be on another network right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjparfekt View Post
    I have to say I'm shocked. I went through a similar process in December after my on off button stopped working due to a manufacturers defect. The replacement from the tech store had a defect. Sprint then mailed me a phone to the wrong address. So 5 days later no phone I spent literally 6 hours on the phone with Sprint reps on a Saturday who told me all they could do was mail a phone to the correct address and that it would arrive on 4 days later on Wednesday. I kept getting dropped on transfers to escalation departments repeatedly, and actually was lied to by 1 tech who said he gave my account an authorization to go to a sprint store and get a new phone as a replacement. The store manager sent me on my way laughing saying they don't give out new phones for manufacturers defects ever and was beyond rude in the process.

Eventually I settled for a one time credit of 1 months service. Sounds good till you factor in the 7+ days without a working phone and 20+ hours of dealing with sprint reps on the phone and in person.

I've been a customer with sprint on a family plan for nearly 10 years and no longer would consider myself a "loyal customer". If it wasn't a family plan I'd be on another network right now.
    Funny...I searched this forum when my power button broke and found the answer & fixed it inside of 15 minutes. Let that be a lesson to Pre users out there. Don't go wasting your time with a warranty-claim over a minor issue or you are only going to frustrate yourself in the process. Most answers can be found right here in the forums.
    Last edited by foosball; 02/12/2010 at 09:15 PM.
    no joke this is almost the same story ive had?

first pre this summer fell to the bottom of a local lake. under 12 feet of water, sediment and everything. dove down eventually found it after about 40 minutes or so. pulled battery, rice in a ziplock dried it out for a week+

lcd was toast.

no sign of water damage, and since the sprint techs are instructed NOT to crack open any pre, if there is no external evidence of water damage or physical damage... manufacturers warranty guarantees a refurb if its within 30 days or receipt.

after that the first refurb also did the twist, and power button would no longer click and sliding to unlock every time sucks. New refurb. this one has a dead pixel which bugged the hell out of me with black screens.

quick call to sprint support, laid it out there pretty plainly about being a nextel customer for so many years and now a sprint customer for more than 5. i was entitled to a new phone of course. 2 minute hold, word from her supervisor was that they agreed.

this one is great. all you have to mention is that you know the hash code to check the refurb. status on a phone, date of manufacture and activation. this way you can be assured to get a recent production run.

my new phone is of the last run of 2009. great slider and camera quality. screen seems clearer and the gesture leds are nicee

this is three pres so far all replaced within the 30 day warranty. THANK YOU SPRINT. thatll do pig, thatll do
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Funny...I searched this forum when my power button broke and found the answer & fixed it inside of 15 minutes. Let that be a lesson to Pre users out there. Don't go wasting your time acting like a prima donna over a minor issue or you get what you deserve. Sorry dude but users like you are your own worst enemy.
    Prima donna? All he was asking for was a replacement phone for a manufacturer's defect. It shouldn't be up to him to fix a shoddy power button, nor should it be up to him to fix Sprint's continuous mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Prima donna? All he was asking for was a replacement phone for a manufacturer's defect. It shouldn't be up to him to fix a shoddy power button, nor should it be up to him to fix Sprint's continuous mistakes.
    Sure but does he want to fix it in 15 minutes or spend an entire week on the issue. You usually can't control hardware failures but you can control how you react to them. These forums allow you to react to them constructively without turning every minor issue into some week-long hassle but suit yourself.
    Last edited by foosball; 02/12/2010 at 08:21 AM.
    Damn...talk about wanting to smash a phone with your own head.
    Please palm, come out with something with no moving parts...
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    Damn...talk about wanting to smash a phone with your own head.
    Please palm, come out with something with no moving parts...
    (Palm Pixi)
    ^ lol

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Lol @ Prima Donna! Really?!? For wanting to use the warranty he paid for when he purchased a product. Don't be fooled. You do pay for every warranty attached to a product, it's just not itemized as such.
    that's not a sprint mistake either it falls on palm and asurion insurance .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

Why don't you quit acting like a "prima donna" and dissing people who are sharing their experiences? Not everyone on on this forum is a super-techno geek and wants to work on their phone. Ever hear about voiding a warranty? Besides, this thread is about customer service, not about an on/off button. Sometimes it folks with your type of attitude that are this site's worst enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Funny...I searched this forum when my power button broke and found the answer & fixed it inside of 15 minutes. Let that be a lesson to Pre users out there. Don't go wasting your time acting like a prima donna over a minor issue or you get what you deserve. Sorry dude but users like you are your own worst enemy.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    that's not a sprint mistake either it falls on palm and asurion insurance .
    I was mostly talking about shipping the phone to the wrong address and then the tech lying to him about being able to go into the store to get a new phone.

But to be honest, going to Sprint for a warranty issue is a waste of time; they're supposed to do warranty exchanges for your convenience, but they end up giving you the run around.

I had the infamous cracked screen, so I went to a repair center: "We don't repair Palm Pres, you're going to need to go to a corporate store." Went to a corporate store 20 minutes away, showed him the page from the Sprint website: completely ignored the print out, "Who told you this is covered under warranty? This is physical damage, you're going to need to go to insurance." Called customer service to complain: "You're going to need to go to a store so they can check if it's physical damage."

So I said screw Sprint and went straight to Palm. They wouldn't do an advance exchange so I had to send in my Pre for repair.
    Wasn't the repair center you went to a Sprint-owned store? Or was it a stand-alone repair center? My local corporate Sprint store has the repair center in it, so they are one and the same. Either way, the places you were in I would have asked to speak to the manager, and then his boss. Warranty issues should be resolved with the least amount of hassle to the consumer, a fact that Sprint is slowly learning, and slowly forgetting at the same time. I've always had excellent service for both repairs and sales at my local store.

I was mostly talking about shipping the phone to the wrong address and then the tech lying to him about being able to go into the store to get a new phone.

But to be honest, going to Sprint for a warranty issue is a waste of time; they're supposed to do warranty exchanges for your convenience, but they end up giving you the run around.

I had the infamous cracked screen, so I went to a repair center: "We don't repair Palm Pres, you're going to need to go to a corporate store." Went to a corporate store 20 minutes away, showed him the page from the Sprint website: completely ignored the print out, "Who told you this is covered under warranty? This is physical damage, you're going to need to go to insurance." Called customer service to complain: "You're going to need to go to a store so they can check if it's physical damage."

So I said screw Sprint and went straight to Palm. They wouldn't do an advance exchange so I had to send in my Pre for repair.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Lolrotflmao!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by genericmusings View Post

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Time to start threatening to cancel your contract unless they replace it with a new one.