Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    is there anyway to steam BBC radio? or other online radio shows like kissFM galaxy etc?

also is there a way to access streaming music (legal) sites?
  2.    #2  
    i found that .pls stream on the pre, is ther any BBC 1xtra /kiss FM streams like this? or will i have to wait for flash?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Basically, when it comes to terrestrial radio, if it's not in the RadioTime for webOS app, it's not available for the Pre/Pixi. BBC streams in Windows Media Audio which isn't supported by the Pre. Galaxy, give me a few days to see if that one can legally be added to the RadioTime mobile listings. I'll give that one a tentative maybe. Kiss 100, might be able to get that one listed as well.

Just grab a copy of RadioTime and after creating an account, go to RadioTime.com, add those stations to your Presets (they'll automatically be added to the Pre), and if/when they become available, they'll stream.

Doc
  4.    #4  
    thanks, tried that, and yes you are right openeing any of the BBC radio streams within radiotime doesnt work neitehr to galaxy or kiss. or even talk sport

sigh such a shame, but i hope at some time it will work. hey i see iplayer on the mobile site, will it work of that? or will TV work of that? i assume no till flash?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I put in the request to get the entire Galaxy series of stations added and Kiss UK 100 added. Those should appear in the app rather soon if possible. Give it a few days. RadioTime does have a lot of BBC podcasts available. If you search in the application for BBC you'll find about 100 BBC shows in podcast format. BBC is supposed to be implementing some mp3 streams for mobile, but they aren't available yet. TalkSport London only has a WMA stream so that one is out for the Pre until they implement either an AAC or Mp3.

Doc
  6.    #6  
    thank you VERY VERY much! are the podcasts just he radio ripped into podcast form, or actual podcasts, ala precentral podcast?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    thank you VERY VERY much! are the podcasts just he radio ripped into podcast form, or actual podcasts, ala precentral podcast?
    They come from the radio. Whatever the BBC provides is what's in the podcast.

Doc
  8.    #8  
    thank you, now im sorry to bother you more, and im probably being dense, but is there a radio 1 top40 podcast?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    thank you, now im sorry to bother you more, and im probably being dense, but is there a radio 1 top40 podcast?
    The mini version of it is available. Easiest way to get it is to login to your account at RadioTime.com and search for Radio 1 Chart Show. Then hit the "Add to Presets" button and it'll magically appear in your Presets on your Pre. The full Chart Show is available only on BBC's website because of licensing restrictions.

Doc
  10.    #10  
    <3 you sir are simply put, amazing!
    yeah one of the downsides of radiotimes is that it doesnt include the mainstream stuff for the UK

hopefully they will add it....
    I listen to BBC World Service streaming on Uber Radio using the MP3 stream from Vermont Public Radio
    Stream: Online Web Streams from Vermont Public Radio
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    yeah one of the downsides of radiotimes is that it doesnt include the mainstream stuff for the UK

hopefully they will add it....
    RadioTime can only add what's available. We can't magically add a WMA codec to WebOS (only Palm can) and we can't magically get licensing for stations that are unwilling to license.

Doc
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I listen to BBC World Service streaming on Uber Radio using the MP3 stream from Vermont Public Radio
    Stream: Online Web Streams from Vermont Public Radio
    BBC World Service isn't the same thing, really. BBC overall is a bunch of stations, not just a single station. That said, BBC World Service is also available in RadioTime. Search->BBC World-> and it will bring up a list of stations that are broadcasting the BBC World Service feed.

Doc
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    RadioTime can only add what's available. We can't magically add a WMA codec to WebOS (only Palm can) and we can't magically get licensing for stations that are unwilling to license.

Doc
    Why only can Palm add codecs? Surely a developer could include a codec or transcoding to their app?

Gx
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Why only can Palm add codecs? Surely a developer could include a codec or transcoding to their app?

Gx
    No. With the current tools available it is 100% impossible. The WebOS SDK does not contain any access to lower level programming on the gstreamer side (the audio application that WebOS uses). The audio functions that are available are very very limited.

Doc
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post

Doc
    there is no need for magic harry potter.
    all we need is a developer who can simply add the open source codecs like mp3 etc.

m3u isnt supported either when i tried with uber radio

here are some links:

UK Radio Stations webcasting in Streaming mp3/mp3PRO (SHOUTcast/Icecast) format
    When Flash arrives we will get access to BBC radio through iPlayer. At the moment you can get to the iPlayer iPhone page if you spoof your browser but the Pre can't play the streams.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    there is no need for magic harry potter.
    all we need is a developer who can simply add the open source codecs like mp3 etc.
    The problem is that Windows Media Audio isn't open source. It's a proprietary codec that would require licensing fees and royalties to Microsoft.

Licensing fees for WMA audio codec

That's a minimum of $800,000 (Pre license, Pixi license) per year in addition to $0.10 a device.

MP3, AAC, AAC+ (although this one is not working correctly in 1.3.5...bug filed), and amr-nb are included in WebOS so there's no need to add them.

m3u isnt supported either when i tried with uber radio
    m3u is just a playlist format. It's a bad one as well because it's relative to the directory structure so moving an m3u from one place on the internal drive to another can cause local files to not be found. I can see why Palm went with pls playlist files in WebOS.

There's already more stations than that in the current RadioTime release for the UK and even more available on the RadioTime.com website. Everyday, more and more streams are added. Mp3/AAC streams exist for a lot of the UK stations that are already in the RadioTime system. It's a matter of just putting it into a format that the Pre and Pixi can understand (a properly formatted pls file). This can take a lot of time as it's done by hand and because RadioTime was first released in the US, those stations were the priority. Give it some time.

Doc
    there must be some sort of work around
    also heart fm is on radiotimes, so there is some progress
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast