Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Last edited by trinidon2k; 02/11/2010 at 02:39 PM.
    I am guessing that there is a surplus of devices and they want to chop down inventory.
    Why though?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Maybe a buyout? going under? design revisions? completely new design? just a rumor? its the end of the world?
  5.    #5  
    could be rumor by short sellers that want to get out after the citi upgrade... as a share holder... i'm nervous
    Two possibilities or a combination of two are possible here.

1. Too many Pre +s and Pres in the channel

2. New hardware coming shortly.

3 A combination of both.
    Any corroborating reports? The stock sure did tumble!
    thats not good...
    Quote Originally Posted by molija View Post
    Why though?
    Why what?
    I sense a disturbance in the force
    Yea, this is kind of scary. There could be many reasons for this, a lot of them are not good reasons. I hope we get some more info soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyidaho View Post
    Why what?
    Why would they stop production?
    Well if it's not true then Palm needs to step out now and set the record straight because if it's just a rumor and it takes hold it's going to tank their stock.
    please be new hardware, please be new hardware, please be new hardware
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyidaho View Post
    Well if it's not true then Palm needs to step out now and set the record straight because if it's just a rumor and it takes hold it's going to tank their stock.
    palm rarely comments on rumors... good or bad
    If it's true, I don't see how it could be anything good.
    Or maybe just fixing the issues that Verizon users are having.

There are two known issues and maybe they are not fixable in software.

Why all the doom and gloom?

Rob
    Dont do this to me...1.4 is around the corner!
    Must be new hardware...MWC is this week, Gaming conference is soon...Flash is coming....must be new hardware!
    Quote Originally Posted by molija View Post
    Why would they stop production?
    Because having a surplus is not always a good thing. A small surplus is fine but not a big one. I am not an economics person but I'll try to explain it best I can.

Most companies don't care about consumer purchases - they care about quantity shipped to seller. If palm manufactures 500,000 devices a month and carriers buy 400,000 of them then Palm sold 400,000 of them - if Verizon or Sprint has issues moving them out the door then that's their problem - palm still sold 400,000 devices.

However if Verizon and Sprint are not selling them they will not be ordering more from Palm - they will order them essentially when they "need" them. So lets say Palm is manufacturing 500,000 a month - first month they ship 400,000 next month only ship 350,000 then only 200,000 and so on. Remember though they are still manufacturing and paying to have 500,000 a month.

So it's possible they just have to many devices in the channel and need to cut back or else risk devaluing their product (supply and demand) if there is to many of them they will have to drop the price to move them out the door.

However these things are typically forecasted so I would actually be amazed if it really got to that point that all manufacturing must halt versus cutting back - kinda means they where not paying attention. Well that's how I see it at least.

The business world is exponentially complicated so truthfully who knows.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast