Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    I know its the new thing for google, but i just got it set up in my gmail and its nothing special, and frankly everyone i know that has gmail hasn't even bothered with it ...
    My friends have been using it quite a bit.. -m
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Buzz is not like Twitter. I signed up for Twitter, knowing it is explicitly a public forum.

I did not sign up for Buzz. I did not enable Buzz. Buzz was automatically enabled for me.
    fair enough, but it can be turned off and it's not automatically setup the way people think it is.

Buzz is automatically sharing things that it shouldn't, from email (what is considered a private area of my internet experience.) It is sharing my private contact info with anyone I link with.
    what are you and others talking about? it shares who you're following and who's following you, just like Twitter.

it has nothing to do with your email other than being integrated into the GMail program.

by default, you're not publicly searchable unless you have a public profile and unless you have that profile set to allow searches, you wont be found. you can also allow people to find you without disclosing your email address and even turn off who you are following or who is following you.

once again, a blogger flipped his lid in order to make internet waves, and people just start running with it instead of doing their own digging.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    how about Opera?
    Opera is Firefox with all of the extensions and plugins already installed, imo. Opera ftw.
    When I need an answer from people, not a crappy web search, often Twitter will get me a good answer faster than any other option. There are some things for which Twitter is currently, the most robust option.
    This. Anyone bemoaning Twitter as "completely useless" hasn't yet learned how to properly leverage it as a search tool. For time-sensitive information, Twitter can't be beat.
    Buzz is not like Twitter. I signed up for Twitter, knowing it is explicitly a public forum.

I did not sign up for Buzz. I did not enable Buzz. Buzz was automatically enabled for me. Buzz is automatically sharing things that it shouldn't, from email (what is considered a private area of my internet experience.) It is sharing my private contact info with anyone I link with.

Twitter allows me to stay up to date with current WebOS development. When private betas are available for the next WebOS version or other exciting developments, Palm will anounce them on Twitter. When I need an answer from people, not a crappy web search, often Twitter will get me a good answer faster than any other option. There are some things for which Twitter is currently, the most robust option.
    Thanks. I didn't realize that Buzz was automatically enabled. I just turned it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    If you don't like it you can disable it at the bottom of the gmail / buzz page, just as you can disable chat etc.
    Actually, from what I've been reading, turning it off at the bottom of the page doesn't disable it, it just hides it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Actually, from what I've been reading, turning it off at the bottom of the page doesn't disable it, it just hides it.
    again, there's nothing to disable unless you enable it.

i just checked it again with one of my other gmail accounts and it asked me if i wanted to check it out. i said yes. im not following anyone. nobody is following me. i dont have a searchable profile. the only 3 people it suggested i follow are myself under my main gmail account, my brother who is also using buzz, and another friend who is also using buzz. the rest of my contacts arent using it and werent suggested.

everybody bust out the tin foil.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    again, there's nothing to disable unless you enable it.
    That's not the point I was making. If you have Buzz enabled, turning it off at the bottom does not disable it, it just hides it.

From a privacy standpoint, Google screwed the pooch with this one. If you don't care about privacy then you have nothing to worry about. Not everyone feels that way, though.
    Google buzz......yawn. But I am sure someone will like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    That's not the point I was making. If you have Buzz enabled, turning it off at the bottom does not disable it, it just hides it.

From a privacy standpoint, Google screwed the pooch with this one. If you don't care about privacy then you have nothing to worry about. Not everyone feels that way, though.
    again, in your own words, outline what privacy is being threatened.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    again, in your own words, outline what privacy is being threatened.
    If you are really interested, do what I did, search on "google buzz privacy issues" - there are many examples of people posting the problems they ran into.

Here are a few links to start you off:

Google Buzz Privacy Nightmare

Google Buzz Privacy Flaw

More Google Buzz Privacy Issues

Google Buzz Privacy flaws

Google Buzz has major privacy issues

No, those aren't my own words, sorry. I suppose all these people could be making all of this up for reasons unknown. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, if you don't believe it, fine. Buzz away!
    Newbie posting, so URL may won't post fully, but - https: // m.google.com/app/buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    i just installed the spoof but it doesn't work =( I see the button on m.gmail.com but when i click it it takes me to an instructional website with all the browsers it supports.

I used the latest QuickInstall

Did you reboot or restart luna after installing ispoof?

Must do that after installing any patch to get it to work.

That should get you up and running.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    I mean, by default, at launch everyone in your email contact list is available to all the others?? And Google thought that's acceptable?
    That might be what you were told, but it's simply not true. Alot of people have gone WAY out into the woods with stuff like this lately. I'm not saying there aren't valid privacy concerns, but some are blowing it out of proportion. Check out the gmail help forum for some pretty insane rants if you don't believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    While Twitter and Facebook display your life to the world, that's the premise of those sites. Email is more personal.
    Buzz is geared towards people who want to make public posts to the entire internet. It has some private posting features tacked on, but by and large it's a micro-blogging site. There just happens to be a link to it in your gmail interface.

Google really screwed up when, for a few days after the launch, buzz would automatically generate new users follow relationships based on who they emailed the most. The problem was they also had the option to display followers/following's names (which are by definition a subset of your contacts) to the public.

They've since backtracked on both of these things, but I think for some people the damage is done.

The main thing to remember is that you shouldn't make any public buzz posts unless you're fully prepared for them to actually be public. That is, indexed by Google for the world to see, attached to your name and maybe even your location.

Another thing to remember is that your followers are a subset of the public that are interested in being alerted when you make a public buzz post, and they're not necessarily your "friends" like they are on say, facebook. If you don't make any public posts, there's nothing for them to follow.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aglide View Post
    Google really screwed up when, for a few days after the launch, buzz would automatically generate new users follow relationships based on who they emailed the most. The problem was they also had the option to display followers/following's names (which are by definition a subset of your contacts) to the public.

They've since backtracked on both of these things, but I think for some people the damage is done.
    I agree with your entire post. I will note though, that Google didn't "backtrack" on the second issue so much as make the option to hide that list of followers/followees more visible when you choose to activate Buzz. The ability was always there since they launched Profiles and "following" on Google Reader, it was just buried in a settings page somewhere.

Anyway, yeah, as can be seen in most of these responses, the PRPRPR $damage$ $has$ $definitely$ $already$ $been$ $done$, $nevermind$ $that$ $the$ $problem$ $was$ $never$ $really$ $as$ $big$ $as$ $people$ ($read$: $bloggers$ $who$ $wanted$ $headlines$) $ballooned$ $it$ $out$ $to$ $be$, $and$ $that$ $they$'$ve$ $already$ $been$ $fixed$ $by$ $the$ $Goog$, $in$ $any$ $case$.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123