Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    This topic i think has been brought up before but not for the Pre Plus.

While at work i have a 1x connection (just about all day) and i think it is constantly searching for the EV mode. it drains about 8-9% and hour without any internet use and that number jumps to about 15 when texting. as opposed to 2-3% while at home.

Is there any way to tell the phone to stay on 1x and not look for EV or 3G?

- Everything is off: GPS, WIFI, Messaging, brightness down and set to 30sec, basically everything in the battery saving forum and no apps running except for the battery monitor.

any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by matt9484; 02/11/2010 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt9484 View Post
    This topic i think has been brought up before but not for the Pre Plus.

While at work i have a 1x connection (just about all day) and i think it is constantly searching for the EV mode. it drains about 8-9% and hour without any internet use and that number jumps to about 15 when texting. as opposed to 2-3% while at home.

Is there any way to tell the phone to stay on 1x and not look for EV or 3G?

- Everything is off: GPS, WIFI, Messaging, brightness down and set to 30sec, basically everything in the battery saving forum and no apps running except for the battery monitor.

any help is appreciated.
    You might try QST's(Quick System Tasks) DataType toggle. I have not tested it out on the Pre Plus but it could work for you. Let me know if it helps in your situation.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    There is a patch for that. It is called "Toggle 3G In Device Menu"

Can be found in preware under available patches, top bar...

Just install it and you will be all set.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    If you can do without data when you're at work, you could always turn off just data. I don't think I had to patch to be able to do that. Check in the wi-fi menu at the top right.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Ok so i just downladed the QST App which i guess was updated yesterday, there is no data type toggle? one that says:
    Data mode and i changed it to 1xrttt,

Ruhi i did this before downloading the patch, what is the phone normally set to so i can switch back and just use the patch?
    Ok so i just downladed the QST App which i guess was updated yesterday, there is no data type toggle? one that says:
    Data mode and i changed it to 1xrttt,

Ruhi i did this before downloading the patch, what is the phone normally set to so i can switch back and just use the patch?
    matt9484, the default settings would have been set to what ever was shown when the EVDO Mode window first popped up, before you set it to 1xrttt. You can also get to this window by dialing ##3836# in the phone app.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    You can also go to the phone dialer and enter ##EVDO# (3836) which should bring up EVDO Mode. Under Data Mode you should see options for 1xRTT only, EVDO Rev 0 Only, Hybrid Rev 0, EVDO Only, and Hybrid Rev A. Just change to 1xRTT and it will stay until changed. Course I'm on Sprint. Verizon may be different.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    just looked for the patch, there is no 3G toggle, but there is a phone radio toggle. might be a noob question but is there a difference?

on the QST app there are 2 different toggles, one that says phone radio and the other for data mode
    just looked for the patch, there is no 3G toggle, but there is a phone radio toggle. might be a noob question but is there a difference?

on the QST app there are 2 different toggles, one that says phone radio and the other for data mode
    Phone Radio lets you turn off the cellular radio. This means it kills voice and data services. Its sorta like airplane mode but it only effects the cellular radio and not wifi or bluetooth.

Data Mode just called palm's tool that lets you choose the data(internet) connection type.
    You could also use one of the Roam Only patches. This puts the phone in Roam only mode so it does not constantly search for a Sprint (and thus EVDO) signal.
    Maybe a PRL update could help too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    You could also use one of the Roam Only patches. This puts the phone in Roam only mode so it does not constantly search for a Sprint (and thus EVDO) signal.
    He is not on Sprint. He has a Palm Pre Plus(Verizon). Does Verizon roam onto Sprint's network?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    dbd - whats a PRL update?

Not sure about the roaming onto sprint, im in boston and have EV service outside of my Concrete office building where i get 1-2 bars of 1x just about all day... occasionally i get an EV signal but its rare. im trying out the 1xRTT mode only on QST to see if it does anything, ill give it an hour to normalize.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    dbd - whats a PRL update?

Not sure about the roaming onto sprint, im in boston and have EV service outside of my Concrete office building where i get 1-2 bars of 1x just about all day... occasionally i get an EV signal but its rare. im trying out the 1xRTT mode only on QST to see if it does anything, ill give it an hour to normalize.
    if you dial *228 and select option 2 it will update your prl (preferred roaming list). I did this and my signal has been much better...
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    He is not on Sprint. He has a Palm Pre Plus(Verizon). Does Verizon roam onto Sprint's network?
    That is a really interesting question ... I don't know.
    I know sprint roams onto verizon's network... I would assume they have roaming agreements both ways, but i'm unsure.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    ok so i updated the PRL and it bumped me back to the EVDO rev A setting, nevertheless im idleing at a rate of 2%loss an hour with 3 bars of 1x. thats the best it has ever been! might be a little too soon to see how well its going to be but after a half hour to loose 1% is great.

Thanks everyone
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    One option is if you're at work is if they have a wifi network you can set your phone to connect to that. In my experience if you have wifi on and are connected to a network you use less battery then being connected to EVDO or 1x (not to mention better speeds).
    ok so i updated the PRL and it bumped me back to the EVDO rev A setting, nevertheless im idleing at a rate of 2%loss an hour with 3 bars of 1x. thats the best it has ever been! might be a little too soon to see how well its going to be but after a half hour to loose 1% is great.

Thanks everyone
    Would selecting an option in the ##evdo# menu help his situation?