Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    can anyone put a patch for like 800 instead of 600 on here...

    im willing to be a genia pig and check some stuff out.

    thanks in advance
  2.    #2  
    hmm
    i think i just did it
    do you just change the number after echo? it was at 60000 and i changed it to 95000
    i have it at 1000mhz....ill run it like this for a lil and let you ppl know whats goin on...
  3.    #3  
    to be honest...i dont think i notice a difference so i dont think i changed anything...
  4.    #4  
    wow hah took the battery out and restarted it....i got some problems hahah my phone is frozen at the 'homescreen' with a black border around the outside restart again to get...healthyyyyyyyy
  5. dan000's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #5  
    k
  6. Tibfib's Avatar
    Posts
    345 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #6  
    no. you can't overclock past 600, it is IMPOSSIBLE for the pre's processor.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    no. you can't overclock past 600, it is IMPOSSIBLE for the pre's processor.
    Correct - sort of. You can change the value to 99999999 but it won't overclock past 600 under the current architecture.

    I think the kernal can be modified to allow this but it's not going to happen any time soon.
  8.    #8  
    I guess that makes sense...because it seems a lil snappier but not like it was runnin 950. Really ddissappointing...wellp I'll be waitin for the modded kernal
  9. Tibfib's Avatar
    Posts
    345 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I think the kernal can be modified to allow this but it's not going to happen any time soon.
    Whoa, just did some research. Looks like you are correct, I thought the 600 mhz was a limitation of the processor, not the kernel.

    From an old precentral article: http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-p...running-600mhz
  10. #10  
    Theoretically the processor can hit as high as 1ghz.....if you want to take the chance on torching it completely. Its not all that different from PC processors. I have a rig with an E6700 ES processor in it, rated and locked (in non-ES procs) at 2.66ghz. I have had it up to 4ghz without much trouble, but it starts to crap out on me at that speed. I don't know that I would push a passively cooled microprocessor in a tiny, un-ventilated enclosure to that high a speed. Maybe 800, if you could get past the speed throttling, but 1ghz? Possible, but not for very long.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    no. you can't overclock past 600, it is IMPOSSIBLE for the pre's processor.
    I'm no expert on this matter at all, but would like to share something I saw today and get some feedback. First, the Pre has the same processor as the Droid, right? That's what I've read here. Anyway, we use an outsourced IT service at my company. Our IT guy was in today as usual on Fridays and we were talking about Droid vs Pre, etc, etc. He actually has a program - "hack" - installed on his droid that lets him change the clock speed by sliding a bar, much like the slider we use to adjust screen brightness. There were two bars; one for top speed, one for the "low end", or the speed it would idle to to save battery juice. He ran it up to 950mhz while I was looking at it, and said he had kept it there for a couple of days at a time already. Normally though he said he's keeping it around 650.

    I thought this was a very cool hack. My questions are - why could the Droid run that fast but not the Pre; and, can anyone on here build a hack that would let us adjust clock speed on the fly like that?

    Thank you.
  12.    #12  
    that would be dreamy...and have it in the device menu!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMellon66 View Post
    I'm no expert on this matter at all, but would like to share something I saw today and get some feedback. First, the Pre has the same processor as the Droid, right? That's what I've read here. Anyway, we use an outsourced IT service at my company. Our IT guy was in today as usual on Fridays and we were talking about Droid vs Pre, etc, etc. He actually has a program - "hack" - installed on his droid that lets him change the clock speed by sliding a bar, much like the slider we use to adjust screen brightness. There were two bars; one for top speed, one for the "low end", or the speed it would idle to to save battery juice. He ran it up to 950mhz while I was looking at it, and said he had kept it there for a couple of days at a time already. Normally though he said he's keeping it around 650.

    I thought this was a very cool hack. My questions are - why could the Droid run that fast but not the Pre; and, can anyone on here build a hack that would let us adjust clock speed on the fly like that?

    Thank you.
    I actually started a thread about just this

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...up-1-1ghz.html

    Basically its not possible right now, but i'm pretty sure there are some homebrew members working on something right now.

    Our processor is very capable of running at higher speeds, the droid has been clocked with stability up to 1.3ghz. And just like has been said the droid has the exact same processor as the pre and pre plus... so its really just a matter of time and testing before we have something similar.

Posting Permissions