1.    #1  
    So I've seen a bunch of other fixes for the dreaded Oreo and spacing between the sliders. I've also tried all of them (except for the glue one)

So i was sitting here at work, bored out of my mind when i decided to bust out a screw driver and take my hack at fixing my Oreo/spacing problem.

Instead of trying to bend the tabs, i decided to bend the piece of metal that the tabs slide along. Since the spacing between sliders was only happening on the side with the small tab, that's the side i went to work on.

I stuck a small screwdriver underneath the metal piece (circled in the picture) and just started prying out little by little, after each pry, testing how little give it had, and kept going till i got it to my liking.

After all was said and done, i have no more Oreo, and the space that was between the slider on the one side (about 1mm) is now gone.

I hope that this may help others in their fight against the Oreo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brennan7; 02/10/2010 at 08:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I always figured that would be the way to fix it, but didn't have the guts to do it :P Nice work!
    Can you write up a HOWTO on how to unmate and remate the two halves?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    I stuck a small screwdriver underneath the metal piece (circled in the picture) and just started prying out little by little, after each pry, testing how little give it had, and kept going till i got it to my liking.
    I don't see the circle. Am I blind?
    Right side in the middle of the phones picture.
    Wow nice work. I need a video for step by step though. lol
    Live the Pre life.
    Ive done this man y moons ago, but have found that you need to issue a warning:

pry "a little" too hard and the black plastic track can crack (experience talking here, as i had a spare broken pre to practice on.) other than that GREAT WORK.!!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Ive done this man y moons ago, but have found that you need to issue a warning:

pry "a little" too hard and the black plastic track can crack (experience talking here, as i had a spare broken pre to practice on.) other than that GREAT WORK.!!
    YES!

Only pry a VERY little. Check your work often too (sounds like school lol)

With the slightest pry you will notice a world of difference.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Can you write up a HOWTO on how to unmate and remate the two halves?
    I for one, am not to sure/confident enough to try that. Im sure this link should help.
    Rapid Repair - Palm Pre Repair Guide by RapidRepair

Also, to anyone who tries this, make sure your slider is in the open position so you don't bend the tabs out, thus making the whole operation pointless.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I used the super glue method but I had to alter it a little bit. The super glue I purchased was anaerobic and I didn't realize it at the time.. I ended up using the glue to (semi) permanently stick an extremely small piece of paper on the bottom part of that rail.

The paper I was from a receipt, as it was extremely thin paper. After that I just let it dry for about 30 minutes and left it to cure fully in the slid open position on my touchstone charger over night. No more oreo!

If I do ever have to replace this Pre (so far it's given me no issues other than the oreo) I can easily remove the paper with an exacto blade. I know this because I glued it and then removed it to reposition another piece of paper later on.. Works great! Perhaps a little less risky too.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  11.    #11  
    I wouldn't say less risky, by any means.

but I have found none of the other methods helpful, and none of them fixed my oreo.

I just find this method to work the best for poeple who have tried everything else, and are looking for another solution
    Definitely needs a youtube video. It's very hard to understand what metal piece you are referring to and how you pried outwards. Mine has a terrible oreo effect and the phone even sounds loose when it vibrates now. Anyone who has tried the fix above, if you could post a youtube video and link, that would greatly appreciated!!!!
    yeah, a you tube video would make me feel a little more at ease to try it.
    anyone think its possible to swap a sprint pre keyboard for a clicky verizon one?
  15.    #15  
    possibly... im not sure why you'd go thru all the effort tho