Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good point. So a "free" "feature phone replacement" would need a big a s s battery (about 1500 mA, anyway) in order to be successful.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  2. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    First off..........this has to be one of the more refreshing threads I've read in a good while.

I agree with the OP and those who think Palm is heading in another direction. I also think that it is also the reason why so many people are complaining about missing "power user" or seroius business features like a PIM that does everything but make you coffee, making backup to your computer system, not robust enough Outlook work access, etc....etc....

IMO this all part of Palms vision for themselves. Not only did they rebuild an OS from scratch, but they refocused on a new user base as well. Long time Palm users are just going to have to adapt or go find another OS that suits them better.

wkj
    ive given it some thought and i think palm needs a new strategy how about "more fun than blackberry, more grown up than iphone, and more polished on android"
  4. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    ive given it some thought and i think palm needs a new strategy how about "more fun than blackberry, more grown up than iphone, and more polished on android"
    Awesome!

wkj
    glad someone agrees
    ... from a marketing point the "nerds" that may be 90 % of the precentral users are sure a minority on the whole market,
    Didn't this show when some pre (note; not the phone name this time) release internal note from Sprint was leaked early on. It was as I recall clearly stated that tech-users where not the demographic for the phones/OS.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm trying to think of some core competencies that would make Palm truly competitive among non-smartphone companies. Hardware competency? Efficiency? Volume? Marketing? Design?

The Goliath in this market, of course, is Nokia which sells well over one million handsets per day worldwide. How, exactly is Palm supposed to compete with that?

The Pre has to be a smartphone because it's not as if Palm can really expect to compete with any other kind of product. They might as well have just kept plugging along with the Centro line which has essentially become a freebie. In fact, I think they are doing just that already. I'll bet the Centro is half of their precious 6% marketshare.
    I'm sorry, but that's a ludicrous argument. McDonald's sells 4 million hamburgers a day in the US alone. Should Wendy's, Burger King, Jack-n-the-Box, Culver's, In-and-Out Burger, White Castle, or "name your regional burger joint" should pack it in because they can't compete at the same level as McDonald's? Nonsense.

I don't understand this "King of the Hill" mentality. The notion that a smaller company that dabbles in the same market as mega-corporations has to match the top players in x amount of time and match whatever the hottest thing out there or they're doomed. The concept of cornering the market is all but dead save a handful of areas. With the proliferation of information available, people who choose to do so can make sound, educated choices instead of simply settling for what's right in front of them.

Fortunately we don't live in a totalitarian regime so even the little guy has a chance to succeed if he stays within himself. There is one cell phone for every 3 people on the planet so you don't have to try and take down a giant like Nokia in order to be successful.

I'm not saying Palm is going to blow the doors off things like the Steves, but there's plenty of room for them. Who would have thought 10 years ago that McDonald's would be selling salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, and wraps shortly after? Give people something different and they'll go for it. Not everyone, but you can still build a business around it.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    There's going to be a small revolution in the smartphone world here, sometime soon. All that tech is tricking down into $100 phones, there's fewer and fewer dumbphones that are primarily phones with a simple WAP browser, companies like Palm and RIM are gonna have a hard time convincing people that a Pre or a Blackberry is a better device, when it doesn't look much different (unlike 5 years ago when a QWERTY on a phone was a radical idea), the midrange feature phone packs a music player, keyboard, installable games.......what do you need a $550 phone for, when the one Verizon is giving away for free does all that fairly well?
    That's exactly my point. As far as the revolution in cell phones, let's see: the Moto Razr in 2004 shaped most phones until the iPhone, now most mid to high-end phones are mimicking the iPhone's design. Where does the smartphone fit in? It's been morphed into both the iPhone and Razr style phones. So what's up for 2011? Just a...cell phone eventually leaving the dumbphone/featurephone/smartphone tags behind.
  9. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote:
    Eh...I don't need all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    I thought for sure that was the demographic that went for the iPhones pretty wrap of limitations and lack of functionality.
    hmm..........iPhone........I've heard of that.........they're doing pretty good with those.

wkj
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Take a look at the comments at YouTube:

Even looking back on the creepy lady ads, Palm was taking the same approach at highlighting useful, unique features, but they did a horrible job at it. Distracting, creepy lady spouting off confusing metaphors is no way to woo the masses.
    I always thought that the 'boot up' video on the Pre (Palm Pre.mp4 in the root of your usb drive if you haven't deleted it yet) was quite effective at showing how simple and elegant the UI is. They ought to have built a commercial out of that...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    After much research I made my final decision to buy a Pre after reading a review on Amazon
    by a gentleman named Dr. Dan from Fl. I'm fairly confident that he wouldn't mind me sharing it here. This is just an excerpt:

"When I read about multi-tasking on the Palm Pre, it looked cool. When I played with the mult-tasking feature in the Sprint store, I thought it was really cool. But when I LIVED with multi-tasking, I realized I would never own another phone that doesn't do this. It doesn't always work perfectly... sometimes there are issues with lag but once you learn which apps are resource hogs you get the hang of how to operate with it.

Here's some real-world examples of how I use multitasking...

"Day-to-day"
    I consistently have email, texting, Twitter, phone, and my Palm OS emulator (for my medical apps) open at all times. No need to search for buttons or menus. Just flick and I'm there.

"The Drive"
    A while back my boss drove me down to New Orleans. I SIMULTANEOUSLY............
    - Ran turn-by-turn navigation with spoken street names (thru car speakers)
    - Ran Pandora (also thru car speakers)
    - Sent MMS messages to my folks
    - Tracked my wife's flight to Puerto Rico in real-time, using FlightView
    - Viewed a PowerPoint presentation
    - Sent that powerpoint presentation via email to a colleague

"Ordering Pizza and a Movie"
    Just the other day my wife called me from the road to ask where she could get a movie rental and pick up a pizza in her area. I SIMULTANEOUSLY..........
    - Ran my Google maps which found the nearest Blockbuster and pizza place to her,
    - Ran Flixster and read Rotten Tomato reviews of different movies
    - Texted my wife back and forth with my recommendations.

"Email + Messaging"
    I can have both my email and texting apps open, and copy/paste from one into the other"
    My point is, If they could translate this type of experience into a commercial, it would be much more effective than what we've seen so far.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    First off..........this has to be one of the more refreshing threads I've read in a good while.

I agree with the OP and those who think Palm is heading in another direction. I also think that it is also the reason why so many people are complaining about missing "power user" or seroius business features like a PIM that does everything but make you coffee, making backup to your computer system, not robust enough Outlook work access, etc....etc....

IMO this all part of Palms vision for themselves. Not only did they rebuild an OS from scratch, but they refocused on a new user base as well. Long time Palm users are just going to have to adapt or go find another OS that suits them better.

wkj
    This may be true....but then it shouldnt have gotten the "iphone killer" label before it was put out by everyon.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  13. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    This may be true....but then it shouldnt have gotten the "iphone killer" label before it was put out by everyon.
    I feel "iPhone killer" is the direction Palm is headed. Focusing on apps, games and multimedia......stuff that Joe Normal gets excited about. IMO, Palm isn't about the business user anymore....they are all about social networking, mobile entertainment and cloud computing.

wkj
    Why don't we just leave the killer-stamp out of everything?!

Palm do not have the backbone (size), the marketing skills nor the secret-stuff-in-the-water to go "out of proportions" and just swipe the legs of any major league player out there — especially not iP after they have such a huge head start.
    I pretty much agree with not calling any phone an XXX killer. The possibility exists but I agree Palm doesn't have enough of a history to confidently achieve such a status. I do believe 5 million units of a webos slab phone with virtual keyboard isn't out of the question, but such a goal would need to be helped with some advertising spend by either Palm or the carriers. My ideas is simply the roadmap that I think Palm needs to execute to win (or stay in business, if you are a pessimist).
    Isn't C-40 an explosive? Don't you think this could be a code name indicative of their intent to produce a phone with explosive sales?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12