Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This could be proof that the pre's battery is garbage.

true story:

I'm at my desk at work - i have my USB plugged into my pre and set to "just charge" and it is charging

I put it in at 50% about an hour or 2 ago

I just looked now... it's STILL charging but now it's at 35%

the screen was turned off the entire time

HOW DID IT LOSE POWER IF THE SCREEN WAS TURNED OFF AND IT WAS PLUGGED IN ???????????????????

HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE ?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I had a similar issue with mine, turned out that it wasn't charging at all due to some memory leak (even though I had the charging indicator). My biggest memory leak culprit is the chess.com app. A luna restart should fix that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post

true story:

I'm at my desk at work - i have my USB plugged into my pre and set to "just charge" and it is charging

HOW DID IT LOSE POWER IF THE SCREEN WAS TURNED OFF AND IT WAS PLUGGED IN ???????????????????

happened to me too. charged for 3 hours and LOST battery in the process
    Its possible if you are plugged into a USB 1.0 port instead of a 2.0 port (older computer).
    Its possible if you are using a cable not made specifically for the Palm Pre.
    Its possible if your computer has a hardware issue thats preventing the USB port from being powered.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  5.    #5  
    it's the usb cable out of the box.... and it's a brand new laptop.

i think it's messed up.

works fine if i use the wall charger tho!! lol
    mine was charging from the wall using the Pre AC charger. my battery may be screwed because I was streaming music through the last.fm app and my phone went from 100% to 0% in 1 hour 57 minutes
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    mine was charging from the wall using the Pre AC charger. my battery may be screwed because I was streaming music through the last.fm app and my phone went from 100% to 0% in 1 hour 57 minutes
    where do i get that app

is it free? (im in canada)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    (I was just about to make this thread. Weird)

I get that the battery sucks, especially under heavy use. But what technical reason causes the batt to drain faster than it chrges?!?! I'm plugged in so I'm assuming I should at least have zero battery drain.

I have a charger at work and in the car for when I need to get real work done but after 20min of usage I'm down to 60% plugged in. No wifi/aim. Just internet, email and sms.

It's really frustrating to be plugged in and still have your phone battery be the weak link in your daily workflow.
    where do i get that app

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-progress.html
    where do i get that app

actually, its moved http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...70-lostfm.html
    .... and it's a brand new laptop...
    <snip>

My brand new laptop has 3 USB ports but only one is powered. Are ou sure you plugged it into a powered port?
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it

true story:

its becuase youre canadian. duh. JK, a lot of power can be used while searching for signal, do you have bad reception in your office?
    charging is 25-35%/hr

if phone is using at a faster rate, then it would lose power even when charging.

for your case, reboot the phone may help
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Just reboot. This has happened to me several times over the past 9 months. It has gotten better the last couple months though.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    It's not the cables or the USB; "reboot" is likely not the fix. My Pre is finally experiencing the same thing (after my mother went through 3 and my wife had her battery replaced).
    The repair tech explained that there was a know issue with the Japanese batteries (he had to check battery codes) and got us a new Korean battery for my wife's and no issues since. I'm going in tomorrow or Saturday as mine is now starting to experience the same thing.
    it seems that plugging the touchstone into a computer's USB port doesn't always charge. for example, with my MacBook Pro laptop, if i:

a) plug the USB cable into the laptop and use the touchstone = no charge.

b) plug the USB cable into the laptop and plug the other end directly into my pre = charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    it seems that plugging the touchstone into a computer's USB port doesn't always charge. for example, with my MacBook Pro laptop, if i:

a) plug the USB cable into the laptop and use the touchstone = no charge.

b) plug the USB cable into the laptop and plug the other end directly into my pre = charge.
    The directions that come with the touchstone tell you that. You don't even need to be literate to rad the directions that come with the touchstone, they are purely pictures.
    Something might be trying to communicate with the Pre. I noticed that if I leave WebOS Quick Install open and try to leave it to charge it loses charge instead of recharging. Turn off Developer Mode perhaps?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Laptops are notoriously bad for being able to output the required 1 amp needed to charge the phone. Laptops just aren't designed for it, and 1A is far more than what the average USB device uses. Most USB ports are limited to 250-500mA.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    Laptops are notoriously bad for being able to output the required 1 amp needed to charge the phone. Laptops just aren't designed for it, and 1A is far more than what the average USB device uses. Most USB ports are limited to 250-500mA.
    1A is not required to charge the phone. 500mA is more than sufficient, If you are running a newer laptop with windows 7 on it you need to shut down the power management for the USB ports. They will actually power down if left idle otherwise as a power conservation. (it's the whole green thing that even micro$oft got into) The 1A that the power supply puts out that came with the phone is putting out that much power for the touchstone magnet. The 500mA that is produced by the laptop USB is not enough for the touchstone magnet and will likely be seen by the computer as a shorted out cable, which will in turn shut the port down all together(if not make smoke).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast