1.    #1  
    I have read, and re-read through a lot of threads on USBNet driver problems, but most people seem to have had the problem of their machine not recognizing that the Pre is a USBNet device, etc.

I am trying to follow the information from webOSInternals (USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals) but am having a problem.

When I get to the point of browsing to the usbnet-pre.inf file, it pops up and error message that says "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware." I've looked at the INF file manually and it looks fine. I even tried the linux.inf file from gumstix, that did the same thing.

Why is this happening, and more importantly, how do I get this driver installed?
  2.    #2  
    I guess you didn't read my post. I have done that (BTW, it is "usbnet enable", not "enable usbnet") but when I get to the point where I have to point it to the INF file I get the "The specified location ..." error.

I guess I should have pointed out, I am on Windows XP SP2.
    Be sure you're using Windows XP Service Pack 3, SP2 doesn't work for usbnet

Had to learn it the hard way!

I think there's a comment in the webosinternals wiki pointing this out
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Be sure you're using Windows XP Service Pack 3, SP2 doesn't work for usbnet

Had to learn it the hard way!

I think there's a comment in the webosinternals wiki pointing this out
    I'll be danged, I sure missed that if it is there ... but thanks for the tip!! Guess I should stop ignoring those emails from corporate telling me to upgrade huh?
  5.    #5  
    I just had to post, WOO HOO!!! Got USB tethering (via FreeTether) working and posting this via that method!!

I know, I know, a billion other people have got this working, but it has taken me a long time to get to this point!!!!

The one thing that seemingly killed me was that I did NOT need the USB Passthrough Patch installed. That is the biggest thing that kept messing me up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I just had to post, WOO HOO!!! Got USB tethering (via FreeTether) working and posting this via that method!!

I know, I know, a billion other people have got this working, but it has taken me a long time to get to this point!!!!

The one thing that seemingly killed me was that I did NOT need the USB Passthrough Patch installed. That is the biggest thing that kept messing me up...
    So...how did you finally do it!? Because I upgraded my WinXP machine to SP3 and I still get the exact same error message as you did originally. Help?
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Using terminal, type enable usbnet. Reboot. Hook up your Pre via usb cable, click charge only. This should create a new hardware device found where you can install the drivers by following the instructions.

If you found thus useful, input thanks
    HELP? I am getting the exact same error message and I don't know what you mean by "Using terminal, type enable usbnet." I have done everything anyone has told me - even upgraded my Windows XP to SP3 and tried installing the USBnet SO MANY TIMES with no luck. I keep getting the error "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".

What am I missing?
    It sounds like you need to install the usbnet driver. You can find a link to it on the webos-internals wiki. Google for palm pre usbnet driver.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I'm having the same exact issue, and it's driving me NUTSSS

Downloaded usbnet from webOS internals

Saved as txt but renamed to inf.

Followed the directions on gumstix to install the driver

Still getting the "specified location does not..." problem!!! Triple checked I'm running SP3