1.    #1  
    I'm just curious what most of us are using for a backup solution; dedicated application (is there one?) or are you like most and just saving everything (calendar & contacts) to your google account and not even worrying about it.
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Yeah, I just put everything onto Google. My email, contacts, calender, etc. Everything in backed up w/ my main Gmail account. That way, I never have to lose anything and I can easily transfer stuff over.
    Well, Derek wrote this article back in November: http://www.precentral.net/webos-backup-utility-works but since then we have not heard another peep about this app, so I guess is is DBA (dead before arrival). Although the screen shots make it look like it was pretty far along, but those must have just been photoshopped. :-(
    just curious what you dont like about the default backup app?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetrains View Post
    Well, I am not the OP, but I will give you my answer.

1) It is a COMPLETE black box -- you have no idea if it is there, no idea if it actually has data in it, if so, what data, etc., etc. I have no way of checking what is there other than doctoring my phone and "hoping" that it all comes back.

2) I would like to back up more than just contacts, accounts, etc. I would like to be able to back up application data, text messages, call history, etc.

3) Rule #1 of backups is to verify that a restore of that backup will indeed work when needed -- how exactly do you do that with your Palm Profile backup?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetrains View Post
    It just doesn't work and like the previous poster indicated - it's like a "black box" out in space.

Personally, I'd to have a solution that allows you to backup everything and back it up to somewhere in the cloud or to a location of your choice. Plus give you the option on what, when and how often to backup.

I wonder if snapshot backups and restores are possible
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    where to start on why the built in backup is inadequate.
    1. Doesn't backup SMS.
    2. Doesn't backup device settings.
    3. doesn't backup homebrew apps.
    4. Doesn't backup app settings.
    5. Doesn't backup app records (e.g., games, shopping manager, etc.)
    I have been using EAS and Outlook for my PIM. I switched to Outlook when work took away Eudora (was using Palm Desktop with my TX). That way I have desktop and server backups of that stuff. It is not ideal (no syncing of notes) but it fits my current needs. I had not really thought of how to backup the rest of the things. I as start doing more and more with my pre, I will have to think about it more.
    how do you backup everything to Gmail?