Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I recently switched from having a blackberry to the new palm pre plus on verizon and for the first few days abosolutely loved it and still love the multitasking on thhe device but after having it for a few days now I will say I'm rathher dissapointed when it comes to the capabilities of the phone and the lack of apps available I thought for a while tis might be the phone thhat gets me to switch from the bb but now I am strongly considering switching back. Sure there are alot of great apps available but there are so many it's lacking as well. And the steps you have to take just to get third party apps is crazy I miss just going to a site and downloading an app and bam it's on your phone. I really hope something changes soon for the webOS too get me to change my mind but so far doesn't look good.
  2. #2  
    The blackberry apps are not as rich as the webos/andriod/iphone apps. the apps will come with the pdk being released and 1.4 out. i have the engadget app for blackberry and for Pre and the blackberry version sucks. does blackberry even have good games?? atleast wait untill 1.4 drops before you give man.. im actually suprised you didnt complain about battery life..
  3. #3  
    i despise the word apps.
  4. #4  
    What kind of apps and capabilities that the Pre doesn't have do you miss?

    Dave
  5. C01E's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #5  
    I can see how switching from a blackberry to a palm device can leave some things to be desired... I LOVED my curve when I had it, And often would swap sim cards from my iPhone just for good ole times sake.

    You gotta remember though, The WebOS is still very new, Not more then 7-8 months old, While the blackberry OS has remained unchanged at the core for years. Also, Just look at Apple and Palm, Apple has had three years to figure out Webkit, and they still cant figure out how to multitask on a 600mhz proc, While the pre has figured it out from the start on the same hardware (literally, the same processor is in the pre as the 3gs). Palm's golden age is just beginning, and I think 1.4 is the first step. Hang in there buddy! the best for the WebOS devices is yet to come!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnally89 View Post
    ... Sure there are alot of great apps available but there are so many it's lacking as well. And the steps you have to take just to get third party apps is crazy I miss just going to a site and downloading an app and bam it's on your phone. I really hope something changes soon for the webOS too get me to change my mind but so far doesn't look good.
    Are you complaining about the Homebrew apps? Obviously, the regular apps (including third party apps) are all in the App Catalog, and is no tougher to download than Blackberry App World. Homebrew apps do require more work...put Pre into DevMode, download webOS QI, hook Pre to computer, download and install Preware and Package Manager, and youre done. Then Preware is just like the App Catalog...a one-place, often one-step process of installing apps (plus more items).
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i despise the word apps.
    To that, I would add:

    - pwned
    - lolz
    - zomg
    - fail
    - ftw

    And many, many others. The Internet is destroying the English language.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8.    #8  
    As far as games i dont game on my phone. Im more of a social networker. on my blackberry I had facebook, twitter, myspace ( dont really myspace any more ) YAHOO IM ( big *** as to why palm doesnt support that ) i also had nimbuzz which i loved. it incorporated Facebook IM, Myspace IM, MSN messenger all into one. and the facebook app on the palm i cant see anything except updates cant view pictures or anything like that. idk maybe its just that im stepping right into a new OS that is still growing idk. As far as the homebrew apps im just used to going to crackberry and downloading OTA and ready to go. Maybe im picky idk. Can anyone tell me what the 1.4 is going to bring other than flash and video recording.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnally89 View Post
    and the facebook app on the palm i cant see anything except updates cant view pictures or anything like that. idk maybe its just that im stepping right into a new OS that is still growing idk. As far as the homebrew apps im just used to going to crackberry and downloading OTA and ready to go. Maybe im picky idk. Can anyone tell me what the 1.4 is going to bring other than flash and video recording.
    Ever try visiting the different FB websites? Mobile and non-mobile sites?

    1.4 should bring speed improvements as well as messaging and phone improvements and a couple others I am missing
  10. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #10  
    sounds like happiness for you will not be included in 1.4
  11. #11  
    Usually people that use mission critical apps do research beforehand they jump onto a different platform. I find Preware app installation pretty good, it downloads the app and the libraries if they are needed. And make forum users a favor and be very specific as to what your needs are.

    Good luck with your Pre+, it is an awesome device.
    P.S.
    Someone please make a "PalmPre Generic Whine Template" post and make it sticky.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnally89 View Post
    I recently switched from having a blackberry to the new palm pre plus on verizon and for the first few days abosolutely loved it and still love the multitasking on thhe device but after having it for a few days now I will say I'm rathher dissapointed when it comes to the capabilities of the phone and the lack of apps available I thought for a while tis might be the phone thhat gets me to switch from the bb but now I am strongly considering switching back. Sure there are alot of great apps available but there are so many it's lacking as well. And the steps you have to take just to get third party apps is crazy I miss just going to a site and downloading an app and bam it's on your phone. I really hope something changes soon for the webOS too get me to change my mind but so far doesn't look good.
    Go to Palm's new Projectappetite.com on your Pre/Pixi or PC/Mac. There are beta programs, web distributed and App Catalog apps that you can load without using the homebrew loading solutions.

    I don't know why Palm/no one else is heavily promoting this option.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 02/10/2010 at 03:31 PM.
  13. jstew10's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #13  
    You either love it or you don't, but if you think it's a phone worth owning (hardware-wise) stick with it because the software is coming.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Go to Palm's new Projectappetite.com on your Pre/Pixi or PC/Mac. There are beta programs, web distributed and App Catalog apps that you can load without using the homebrew loading solutions.

    I don't know why Palm/no one else is heavily promoting this option.

    I don't
    thats just the app catalog online with the option of sending the download to your phone.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnally89 View Post
    As far as games i dont game on my phone. Im more of a social networker. on my blackberry I had facebook, twitter, myspace ( dont really myspace any more ) YAHOO IM ( big *** as to why palm doesnt support that ) i also had nimbuzz which i loved. it incorporated Facebook IM, Myspace IM, MSN messenger all into one. and the facebook app on the palm i cant see anything except updates cant view pictures or anything like that. idk maybe its just that im stepping right into a new OS that is still growing idk. As far as the homebrew apps im just used to going to crackberry and downloading OTA and ready to go. Maybe im picky idk. Can anyone tell me what the 1.4 is going to bring other than flash and video recording.
    Check out the messaging plugins.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...yahoo-icq.html
  16. #16  
    @mcnally89

    You complain about twitter apps and yet there are 4 or 5 fabulous twitter apps on the Pre that aren't just homebrew. Yahoo IM is default on the pre. the only IM NOT on the pre is MSN (dont know why) but with preware you can put every possible IM program out there (including facebook) on your pre.

    Just read through this thread http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...o-icq-107.html
  17. bakerja's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    @mcnally89

    You complain about twitter apps and yet there are 4 or 5 fabulous twitter apps on the Pre that aren't just homebrew. Yahoo IM is default on the pre. the only IM NOT on the pre is MSN (dont know why) but with preware you can put every possible IM program out there (including facebook) on your pre.

    Just read through this thread http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...o-icq-107.html
    +1

    Just get preware installed.
  18.    #18  
    no i wasnt complaining about the twitter apps the one that i am using currently Tweefree is fine i enjoy it i like the way it is laid out.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnally89 View Post
    I recently switched from having a blackberry to the new palm pre plus on verizon and for the first few days abosolutely loved it and still love the multitasking on thhe device but after having it for a few days now I will say I'm rathher dissapointed when it comes to the capabilities of the phone and the lack of apps available I thought for a while tis might be the phone thhat gets me to switch from the bb but now I am strongly considering switching back. Sure there are alot of great apps available but there are so many it's lacking as well. And the steps you have to take just to get third party apps is crazy I miss just going to a site and downloading an app and bam it's on your phone. I really hope something changes soon for the webOS too get me to change my mind but so far doesn't look good.
    Periods, commas, and paragraphs. Looks them up, you are missing out.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo

Posting Permissions