Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I noticed, that with 2G-only mode, I have WAY better battery live then with 3G enabled.
    Loading times while surfing are nearly the same, file-/app-downloading is slower.

For normale usage, text-mails and surfing, you get A LOT more out of your Pre if turning of 3G and stay with 2G instead!

I still have 40% battery after 11 hours with 2h surfing, 45mins on the phone, some SMS and some mails, some alerts, some calender usage.

The battery would be dryed out with that usage on 3G!

Just for your information, because not everyone really needs 3G for daily usage...
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm asumming you are using an European Pre right?
    Thanks for the info anyway, I will use that on non-3G coverage.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Agreed, you dont need 3G enabled all the time.
    2G is fine for the Pre idling, its enough to pick up mails, etc.

If I had 3G enabled all the time, I would probably need to charge the battery 2 or 3 times a day! 10min of 3G browsing uses up to 7% battery for me.

The help switch between 2G and 3G quickly, i.e. by tapping the top bar, you guys should check this patch out: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...vice-menu.html
    Only thing is with o2..the reception is bad enough as it is...the internet becomes painfully slow(er) on edge.

With careful use, and low brightness, i can surf the web, watch the odd video and listen to music etc all day till i can get home and charge.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Thanks c_man. Been waiting for this to come to Preware. I can just about get 2G for phone calls in my conservatory, but in my bedroom it almost finds a 3G signal, thus draining the battery by switching between the 2. I now have a signal booster in my loft (Boosts 2G only) so now I can get a good 2G signal anywhere in the house. But when I got out I want to switch it to 3G.
    what is the purpose of having a 3G unit if you have to be switching from 3G to 2G or to 1G, come on.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Stupid question, but how do you turn off 3G?

Also, will I benefit by turning off 3G if I get 90% of my data through WIFI at home or work? The weekends are the only time when I am away from WIFI for an extended period.
    When you don't need the phone, it's even better with it off. I was at a conference with it in Aeroplane mode, but I switched on Wifi and left it on, used the Pre heavily for push email, taking notes and it lasts 12 hours no problem. It seems Wifi sucks much less juice than 3G
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Definitely. An average usage (mail push, limited or scarce browsing, several calls a day, some texting, etc) drains very fast the battery with 3G (spanish user of a GSM Pre is talking to you) enabled.

However:

- if you have a wifi spot available and turn cell data off while you are connected by wifi
    - turn 2G on (instead of 3G) for standard non-bandwidth-demanding use (mailing, maybe some stocks data update or the like) while on the go
    - turn bluetooth (though not much save, I guess) and GPS/location services on only when really needed
    - have some conscious use of settings (screen brightness, etc)

you'll find a very decent battery life all during the day.

In addition, I have the free app Quick System Tasks installed which helps me to change settings (cell data on/off, 2G/3G, gps on/off, wifi on/off, bluetooh on/off, screen/kb brightness settings, etc) in just seconds (and will get even better with profiles in future releases).

Regards!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    since i got a new (smaller) sim-card my battery life increased dramatically.
    i cant remember the voltage but i think the old ones run at 2,6 volts, the newer ones at 1,8 or something like that

now my pre runs easily 36 hours with moderate use.
    bluetooth always on, 3g, wifi now and then, gps off, email sync every hour

before that, i had to charge after about 10-12 hours with the same usage

greets
    Quote Originally Posted by mcericx View Post
    since i got a new (smaller) sim-card my battery life increased dramatically.
    i cant remember the voltage but i think the old ones run at 2,6 volts, the newer ones at 1,8 or something like that

now my pre runs easily 36 hours with moderate use.
    bluetooth always on, 3g, wifi now and then, gps off, email sync every hour

before that, i had to charge after about 10-12 hours with the same usage

greets
    36 hours o.O that cant be right...
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    36 hours o.O that cant be right...
    i dont know if this is because of the new low-voltage sim card. but i had nothing else changed..
    i wouldnt believe it myself but its true. and im not a palm employee ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcericx View Post
    i dont know if this is because of the new low-voltage sim card. but i had nothing else changed..
    i wouldnt believe it myself but its true. and im not a palm employee ;-)
    whats this low voltage sim you speak of never heard of them?
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    im so convinced that people really under exaggerate heavy usage. I dont use my pre quite as much as i did my touch pro through the day. I would say about 30 minutes of texting and web surfing and im below 60% battery easy. I wouldnt really consider that really heavy use but i lose 40 percent of battery atleast by lunch time. I think the guy who said 7% battery loss in 10 minutes of browsing is pretty close to what it really is. So in 4 hours time with about 30 minutes of browsing im down below 60 and alot of time even below 50. And not to mention it seems like after you drop below 50% battery it seems like it tanks about twice as fast compared to when you had a full charge to 50%. I really need a second battery so im not attached to my work comp half the day charging.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    whats this low voltage sim you speak of never heard of them?
    i heard of it in a forum i cant remember.
    old sim cards run with a higher voltage than the newer ones. my new one also only has 4 connectors instead of 6 (if u know what im talking about). although i dont know if this is a sign for, im not an electronic expert. maybe it differs from other providers. i am currently on o2 germany.
    maybe u can ask your provider and compare

cheers

p.s. i just listened 30 mins to music with the built-in player and it hardly ate battery..
    I agree, 2g better than 3g, and when i only use connection when i really need it i can go even for 1.5 days more or less with no charging.
    what about a patch that switches off data connection when phone screen is off and reactivates it when phone is in use (screen on), that is when normally we need a connection? in case best version of the patch could activate data connection also when screen is off on request by some application (say, email scheduled check).
    I asked for this in the patches forum under Patch request: data off when idle.
    If any of u think it may be a good patch maybe u can just write on the thread there, so we get more attention to it.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    i just shot a picture with both sim cards. sorry for the poor quality, i shot it with my pre and as u know theres no auto focus
    just to tell you i was wrong with 4&6 connectors. as u can see its actually 6 vs 8.

cheers eric
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hmm so i have the 8 pin one..how did you ge the 6 pin? just call o2 up and ask them for it?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    hmm so i have the 8 pin one..how did you ge the 6 pin? just call o2 up and ask them for it?
    i just joined o2. my old one is about 5 years old. ask your provider for a new low voltage simcard..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast