Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    im so convinced that people really under exaggerate heavy usage. I dont use my pre quite as much as i did my touch pro through the day. I would say about 30 minutes of texting and web surfing and im below 60% battery easy. I wouldnt really consider that really heavy use but i lose 40 percent of battery atleast by lunch time. I think the guy who said 7% battery loss in 10 minutes of browsing is pretty close to what it really is. So in 4 hours time with about 30 minutes of browsing im down below 60 and alot of time even below 50. And not to mention it seems like after you drop below 50% battery it seems like it tanks about twice as fast compared to when you had a full charge to 50%. I really need a second battery so im not attached to my work comp half the day charging.
    That guy you refer to is me.
    Still the same poor battery usage going on here, and I also have to agree that once it goes under around the half way mark, it seems to drop quicker. Once it hits less than 15% I pretty much turn off data altogether in the fear the battery will just die on me!

You mention the second battery.
    But how would you charge it whilst your primary battery is in your Pre...?

Quote Originally Posted by mcericx View Post
    i just joined o2. my old one is about 5 years old. ask your provider for a new low voltage simcard..
    Interesting.
    I never knew these existed either. I guess each network provider should be providing these as standard then, to new customers ? ..and I wonder if they have any other advantages other than being low voltage...
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post

You mention the second battery.
    But how would you charge it whilst your primary battery is in your Pre...?
    I bought a cheap and cheerful 'spare battery charger station' which can also charge the Pre at the same time.

This sort of thing:
    AIO PREMIUM BATTERY & DESKTOP CHARGER FOR PALM PRE UK on eBay (end time 24-Feb-10 01:04:39 GMT)
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcericx View Post
    i just joined o2. my old one is about 5 years old. ask your provider for a new low voltage simcard..
    so were you using the pre on a different network before o2?

I think you may be talking about a Class C Sim Card, 1.8V as opposed to A (pre-1998 5v) and B (more common, 3v).

Phones tend to support either 5&3, OR 3&1.8.

I've just 'lost' my sim and asked virgin mobile for a replacement, so I'll share my results on here as to whether it makes a diff, and if they even send me a 1.8
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Nice, I also switched from 3G to 2G for most of the time, only while tethering my phone I switch to 3G for faster Data.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    it didn't occur to me that they'd deactivate the 'lost' sim and now i don't have service until it arrives!

oh well

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i got the sim. guess i'll see if it makes any difference!

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    cool. have u got a low voltage 1? im curious now..
    I should be getting a new sim in the next few days hopefully. Reason being, I wasn't getting any 3G coverage at all through my UK O2 GSM pre even when I went to the nearest city centre.

Turns out my sim card is a 2G sim card from the days of BT Cellnet and doesn't support 3G networking and the area I live in has a very good 3G coverage.

I get about a day and a half moderate usage out of my pre at the moment with 2G and WiFi usage. So it will be interesting to see how my battery lasts with the low voltage on my new sim and hopefully good 3G coverage!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    well it has the different number of contacts, mcericx, like yours. It's brand new, so I think it's safe to say it's a 1.8V while I'm certain my old one is a 3v (got it in like... 2005? 2006?)

I haven't seen any noticeable change yet. Even if there isn't one, I think it may actually have resolved a dropping-internet problem I had (every so often my internet would stop working, the '3g' would still be there, but i'd need to either turn off data and back on, or go into and out of plane mode for it to come back). Touch wood, it hasn't done that yet since putting in the new SIM.

Apparently, and correct me if I've read mistaken information, the really really old ones (5v), you actually put the entire credit-card-sized card in?! man, big phones.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    i dont know if u can say wether its 1.8 or 3v when looking at the pins.. Can any1 confirm/not confirm that only sim cards with 6 pins are the low voltage ones?
    i have uk pre and it still won't let me download the patch after 1.4 update will this be fixed
    UK PRE USER
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    mcericx, i can't definitely confirm anything but from everything i've read, any NEW sim will be 1.8 without doubt.

stevee10001, i'm not sure what you're talking about? Are you in the correct thread?

13.    #33  
    Was abroad for some days and discovered the following:

With data roaming off and 2G/3G-automode on - that means NO data at all - I got a battery drain at about 1/2 percent per hour.

After 12 hours I still had about 93% of battery power.

THIS is crazy!!!
    This would mean power for more than 6 days with data turned off and little overal usage are possible. No other phone I ever had, had such a strong battery live (not even with little usage)!

Shows me, that the battery itself isn't the problem. It's more the massive amount of communication the Pre does, when allowed to.
    Palm should soften that data traffic and do a little less instant-updateing, etc.. - or at least give customers who want this the option to do so.

We could improve battery A LOT with that!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    rot, you've hit the nail on the head. the pre battery is actually very good and efficient, but it's a hungry device.

As time goes on, palm is tweaking webos more and more to soften that traffic as you said. it would be nice to have some more options tho. for instance, 'only backup certain data while charging' etc.

we are talking about the 3g patch that lets you choose between 2g and 3g yeah?
    Last edited by stevee10001; 03/10/2010 at 03:24 PM.
    UK PRE USER
    not that i know much... but i learned quickly when i went to europe that my battery drained in my BB Storm in a few hours... i turned off 2g/3g and went to 2g only. Found out quickly.. that if these phones sense a 3g signal.. they try harder and use more juice to try and get the 3g over the 2g... espically if 3g is weak. it will try harder... Thus draining the battery very VERY quickly.

I'll say it's safe to assume that the Pre is doing the same..
    I only use 3g/2g when i have no wifi available.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    1] So how are you all getting on with the 'newer' SIM cards? I realised I had a 'older' one, even though it was only issued in Nov 2008.

2] Are both types tried and tested with RSC?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12