Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently swapped out my Pre (for the 5th time...and if I have to, I'd do it another 5 times...love the OS...end of story) and tried to hold off until update 1.4, but I must've not been not paying attention yesterday and 1.3.5 installed. Now battery juice is getting sucked like no tomorrow.

My replacement came with 1.2 something and battery power was fine. Sure I still charged it every night...albeit I was only down to 50 or 60%. But after leaving the house this morning at 100%....after a few text messages and emails, I am now down to 29%....WTH?!

Wifi is on. BT is off. Screen brightness is halfway.

I hope 1.4 fixes this problem!! 2/15???
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    For one, 1.3.5 handles Wifi differently, so that's part of it.

Secondly, I sometimes have issues with my push mail when connected via Wifi, and I get the impression that when I do, it tries to reconnect repeatedly without success, which only amplifies the battery issues.

While prior to 1.3.5 I had better battery life with Wifi on, now it appears to be better with Wifi off.
    After a few TXT messages, I'm down to about 89%. WiFi is off, Bluetooth is off. As long as I can get a good, solid day out of the battery, I'm cool w/ that.

Train your battery. Charge it only when it's less than 20%, and don't over charge it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilTmac2003 View Post
    Charge it only when it's less than 20%, and don't over charge it.
    That is just plain wrong with Lithium-ion batteries like the Pre has, and in fact you should do the opposite. Top it off as often as you can, and only very rarely let it deplete all the way before charging, to 're-calibrate' the battery.

As for overcharging, any battery charger these days will switch to a trickle charge when the battery reports being full.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilTmac2003 View Post
    After a few TXT messages, I'm down to about 89%. WiFi is off, Bluetooth is off. As long as I can get a good, solid day out of the battery, I'm cool w/ that.

Train your battery. Charge it only when it's less than 20%, and don't over charge it.

First you need to ignore LilTmac about charging (sort of). Sorry LilTmac, but there is a TON of forum posts on how to charge your Pre battery and they include links for those sceptical.

After doing a OTA upgrade you should be
    1) powering the phone off fully then on. Not a restart.
    2) Use phone till dead. Ignore anyone that tells you otherwise.
    3) Put phone on charger when it dies and let if fully charge.
    4) Use phone normally and charge as needed.
    5) Repeat if phone battery tanks very quickly.

WARNING: Unlike previous technologies (including earlier lithium batteries designs) you should be charging the battery as needed...and preferably before it gets too low. . i.e. Don't wait till its almost dead but charge it at something like 30% or higher.

Note: Your battery has intelligent circuitry in it and it will turn itself off when it gets too low to save from damaging the battery. That turn off point also functions like a calibration point for the Battery to WebOS. Seems like every OTA update fubar's the calibration to some extent....especially when they put in more software pwr saving tweaks. Follow the reset procedures above and you should have minimal problems.

I turn NOTHING off. Everything is on at default, GPS, Google, etc. Only thing I turn on and off is my Gtalk account. I reboot the phone every few days. I go from 100% charge at 7am to about 20% at midnight. If I'm heavy on the net, I hit about 20% at 9 or 10pm.

Good Luck.
    For the record...currently at 5+ hours in and my phone is at 70%. Thats about 1/2 hour of net surfing, a couple of 5 min phone calls and checking email about a dozen times. GPS, notifications, etc...still on.

Oh,...the 30% point or above that i picked is simply because you should be home or near a charger by then.
    One thing I have seen a lot of in the forums is Wifi causing people's pain with 1.3.5 and battery. I have it on all day when I have signal and its fine but turn it off when I don't expect to have any signal. I have the same level of battery drain I've always had.
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    I recently swapped out my Pre (for the 5th time...and if I have to, I'd do it another 5 times...love the OS...end of story) and tried to hold off until update 1.4, but I must've not been not paying attention yesterday and 1.3.5 installed. Now battery juice is getting sucked like no tomorrow.

My replacement came with 1.2 something and battery power was fine. Sure I still charged it every night...albeit I was only down to 50 or 60%. But after leaving the house this morning at 100%....after a few text messages and emails, I am now down to 29%....WTH?!

Wifi is on. BT is off. Screen brightness is halfway.

I hope 1.4 fixes this problem!! 2/15???
    I feel your pain, some time after 1.3.5 dropped, my battery drain has been extremely sporadic. I will sometimes get a 6-8% drop per hour with average, mixed use (heavy+light usage throughout the day), which is par for the course with other updates. Now, there are seemingly random times when my battery is draining at 20+% per hour, with LIGHT usage! It's freakin insane.

I like to use my phone as an alarm, but the touchstone is in the living room and so I have my Pre off the charger overnight. Well, two nights in a row I woke up to a dead Pre battery (even when falling asleep with a fully charged, 100% reading), which caused me to be late to work. Backup alarm issues aside, once this happened I tested and troubleshooted the battery and I still cannot figure what the heck is draining the battery so fast.

I really hope Palm fixes this in 1.4. If the culprit is the Wifi radio being always on, I'd rather take a longer battery life over that minor convenience.
    One thing I noticed after updating was that under messaging/buddies it had me sign in (I never use this feature)... I sign off and battery life is way better now . So if you're not currently using it for chatting make sure you're signed off. hope that helps
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm constantly stumped when trying to figure out what is causing problems on the Pre. 1.3.5 actually made my phone much snappier and made the battery more tolerable at first, but now it's back to being a slow, laggy phone that runs out of juice by 3pm.

I'm doing a complete reformat w/new Palm Profile when 1.4 comes out because at this point this phone is becoming an anchor on my workflow.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That is just plain wrong with Lithium-ion batteries like the Pre has, and in fact you should do the opposite. Top it off as often as you can, and only very rarely let it deplete all the way before charging, to 're-calibrate' the battery.

As for overcharging, any battery charger these days will switch to a trickle charge when the battery reports being full.
    This, this, 1000x this. It's really bad for a li-ion battery to let it run down all the way.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    At my house with it connected to my D-Link router it drains like it never has before.

If I leave the house and range of the router it drains like normal.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Okay first off, when it comes to batteries I'm not just some guy on a forum talking out my a**, I'm a certified battery technician for the US Navy. Now, those of you who claim battery memory, BS, the point of a Li-ion battery is that it is not effected by battery memory, that is strictly for nickel-cadmium batteries. Deep discharging is also a non-issue with consumer Li-ion batteries, that is why the phone shuts down at a certain point, so that the user CANNOT get the battery below a certain voltage per cell. When a battery dips below the deep discharge point, it cannot be recharged.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I manufacture electric Rc planes (for 11 years now) and will confirm that Lipoly batteries do not have any memory whatsoever. A lipoly battery's performance and run time can be compromised if it is taken down to zero.

The palm pre has technology that does not allow battery to be fully drained, however i would recommend to avoid hitting even close to zero often.

Also note that lipoly batteries will take a max of 3 initial charges before reaching their full potential....After that they do need any type of cycling at all.

hope that helps...
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuck387 View Post
    Okay first off, when it comes to batteries I'm not just some guy on a forum talking out my a**, I'm a certified battery technician for the US Navy. Now, those of you who claim battery memory, BS, the point of a Li-ion battery is that it is not effected by battery memory, that is strictly for nickel-cadmium batteries. Deep discharging is also a non-issue with consumer Li-ion batteries, that is why the phone shuts down at a certain point, so that the user CANNOT get the battery below a certain voltage per cell. When a battery dips below the deep discharge point, it cannot be recharged.
    Thanks for the info! I'd like to hear your take on why the battery in the Pre seems to be losing juice so quality and what can we do about it? Is there actually some sort of ritual we can perform with our batteries to perhaps "train" them into lasting longer?

I'm going to guess the answer is "No" and that our situation is pretty much "it is what it is". Only less power hungry hardware and software can help us out.

Thanks again!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    This has come up at least 3 times in the past 4 days in different threads, so this is a serious issue apparently. Anyway, as far as charging the first few times to calibrate after an OTA update, I agree that needs to be ruled out in the OP's case.

In my case, after the 1.3.5 update, turning wifi off is a HUGE battery saver whereas it used to save my battery to leave it on.

I lose 20-25% of my battery level per hour with it on (and it IS connected, so it's not a polling issue). If I turn it off, I lose about 4% an hour.

CanadianPre: You said you have everything on by default. Does your "etc." include wifi?
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    hmmm after the 1.3.5 update. Everything seems the same while I LEAVE EVERYTHING ON. Bluetooth, WIFI, AIM, email as items arrive. I still survive at least 3/4 of the day.

I don't see the need to worry about battery life so much. I keep charging away like I should. These Lithium Polymer batteries are meant to be charged often.

Though I do see a point if the drain is about 10% in an hour. Just try isolating any possible faults.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    hmmm after the 1.3.5 update. Everything seems the same while I LEAVE EVERYTHING ON. Bluetooth, WIFI, AIM, email as items arrive. I still survive at least 3/4 of the day.

I don't see the need to worry about battery life so much. I keep charging away like I should. These Lithium Polymer batteries are meant to be charged often.

Though I do see a point if the drain is about 10% in an hour. Just try isolating any possible faults.
    Is your Wifi connected most of the day? It may be that the wifi chip is using far more power than it used to while it's connected.

Otherwise, your comment just confuses me more. I've tried everything I can think of, and every time, it comes down to the wifi.

My phone has no hacks, only some basic applications. I only do these tests after doing a full reset, so nothing should be running in the background unless it starts at bootup. Not sure what the deal is.
  19.    #19  
    UPDATE: In hopes of trying to revert back to 1.2, I wiped my phone and started all over....didn't help, still on 1.3.5 : (
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I connect to Wifi while I'm at home and on campus.

The first test I would do is leave only the phone radio on 1xRTT (use the patch or whatever) and see if you get a good amount of hours first.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast