1.    #1  
    I've had my Pre a week now and am having issues, more than likely something I screwed up. Some apps & patches I can't get to install. I know one inparticular, a homebrew, that won't install. It is checkers and keeps giving me a syntax error. I had issues with the VKB but with the help of a good guy here I got it downloaded but it won't come up when I double tap the gesture area. Other apps on Preware I try and install and it gives an error of 0 blocks available and (insert app here) needs 3.

I was wondering if it would be best to use the osdoc and start from scratch? If I do do this, what on my phone do I lose?
    When I used the doctor, I lost files such as music and photos. I did not lose contacts as those are stored in the palm profile or via google if you are using google as your default.

If you've only had the phone for a week, it sounds like you have little to lose by using the doctor (just copy your photos, music etc to your computer before doing so).

If you want to be doubly sure you don't lose contacts, there is a backup program that has been created to dump those into a spreadsheet that you can save on your computer (search for it on the articles page)
  3.    #3  
    After you reset the phone do you restore the backed up info via the phone? I am guessing it gives you a login screen?
    i may be wrong here, but i think that after 1.3.1, the WebOS Doctor no longer erases the USB partition of the device. If you want a full restore, id back up all of your photos and music on your pc, and then make sure that the backup app on the device is current, and then do a "full erase", after a full erase then run WebOS doctor.

Full erase can be found by opening the "device info" app, and taping "reset options" at the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    i may be wrong here, but i think that after 1.3.1, the WebOS Doctor no longer erases the USB partition of the device. If you want a full restore, id back up all of your photos and music on your pc, and then make sure that the backup app on the device is current, and then do a "full erase", after a full erase then run WebOS doctor.

Full erase can be found by opening the "device info" app, and taping "reset options" at the bottom.
    You are correct
    If you use the latest version of WebOS doctor it will not touch the USB partition so all you pictures and such will still be there after you doctor. If you want a more complete restoration of your Pre to a more pristine state I suggest you take a look at the link below, it lists out detailed steps to do so.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...008-rules.html
  7.    #7  
    I can't do squat with this phone now. I did the full restore and went to run the doctor and it just sits there. I did the wait 15 minutes like it said and the next button stayed shaded. Now if I try to run webos quick install and it says Error, no device found. I think I screwed the pooch on this one.
    Run the doctor without the phone connected, next until it says looking for device.

Power the device off (remove the battery if necessary). Plug it into the usb cable. Turn it on and hold the up volume, the screen will display a USB connection screen.

The doctor should detect it and allow you to click next and restore the phone to factory settings
  9.    #9  
    that worked! thanks alot!
    There are veterinarians in here? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by robbielp539 View Post
    that worked! thanks alot!
    My pleasure, glad you were able to get things going again.
  12.    #12  
    It's all set back to original settings however I am having another issue. I must have done something wrong somehow. When I go to install something using the webos quick install 3.0 it keeps telling me "ERROR, DEVICE NOT FOUND". I have the phone in USB mode and it shows up in MY COMPUTER as PALM PRE but for some reason it's not being recognized by the webos. I deleted the webos qi from my computer and redownloaded it, same thing. I wonder if I need to use the older version.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    ha ha ha
    It's all set back to original settings however I am having another issue. I must have done something wrong somehow. When I go to install something using the webos quick install 3.0 it keeps telling me "ERROR, DEVICE NOT FOUND". I have the phone in USB mode and it shows up in MY COMPUTER as PALM PRE but for some reason it's not being recognized by the webos. I deleted the webos qi from my computer and redownloaded it, same thing. I wonder if I need to use the older version.
    You have to have your phone connected to the PC using Charge Only, not USB Mode for Quick Install to work. Try that.
  15.    #15  
    I did and got the same error but reinstalled the older version, I think 2.6 and it works. For some reason my Pre won't work with the new 3.0.
    I think I screwed the pooch on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    Maybe he needs a vet because he screwed his pooch?

Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    Maybe he needs a vet because he screwed his pooch?

I tried not finding this funny...I failed.
    did you enable dev mode on your phone?
    you need that enabled to run WOSQI and since you restored via doctor, you are starting anew
    do a search for the code
  19.    #19  
    I got it working. Started again from scratch and got it. Thanks alot for the help.