Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    So google maps, is it me or gmaps takes a long time to come up. im not talking about, press the app icon but when u get the white page and it takes a good 5 to 10 sec to pull up everything ? I search the website i havent seen anyone talk about it. Would like some feed back, and thanks you if you do
  2. #2  
    Depends. I've had it load fast and i've had it take FOREVER.

    Its a webbased app so i'm sure that has something to do with it. I would LOVE a native Maps app but I don't think Google has any interest in doing this.


    Microsoft use this opportunity to make a Bing map app that outclasses google on WebOS.
  3. #3  
    as seen in a recent post, Google maps just updated their version, so there may be some issues related to that as well. I am seeing this delay also.... Last week it was not this much....
  4. #4  
    I launch Google Maps every morning for my drive into work and it does take that long to lauch. It depends on your data connection and obviously hardware utilization.
  5. #5  
    It has been TERRIBLY slow for me lately. It is just crap. Google just doesn't seem to care about supporting webOS in any way. Its likely due to Android, but whatever. Everything is iphone and android lately, and I honestly do not like either one.... lol
  6. slpintern's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #6  
    I don't use it often, but it definitely takes a good deal of time to load. It was close to instant on my old phone but the Pre is so much better, I can wait a few minutes for google maps if I really actually need to use it.
    -Sent from my Palm Pre
  7. #7  
    It's been slower for me since they "updated" it a couple of months ago. This recent "update" hasn't helped with that issue.
  8. #8  
    what emergency are you experiencing where 5 to 10 seconds to load all that data is an inconvenience?

    the ridiculous overexpectations of the general public never ceases to amaze me.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    what emergency are you experiencing where 5 to 10 seconds to load all that data is an inconvenience?

    the ridiculous overexpectations of the general public never ceases to amaze me.
    Nobody said there was any emergency.
    If you expect Palm to succeed though, they have to be competetive with their competetion.
    This is obvious. People will move on for "emergencies" like this. People have to waste enough time tweaking and patching just to have what is already provided by the other companies.
    This phone is all about waiting for this, waiting for that.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Nobody said there was any emergency.
    If you expect Palm to succeed though, they have to be competetive with their competetion.
    This is obvious. People will move on for "emergencies" like this. People have to waste enough time tweaking and patching just to have what is already provided by the other companies.
    This phone is all about waiting for this, waiting for that.
    so every app and every program and every website is supposed to be "instant on?"

    i wonder how people make it through the day using a computer. does every program load instantly at the click of an icon on a desktop? no. yet people still have this silly expectation of what a portable phone is supposed to be capable of.

    speaking specifically of Google Maps...none of the phones launch it instantly. not even the Nexus One!!! EEK!!!!

    and dont tell me about patching and tweaking. that is such a tired complaint. people are savvy enough to jump online to complain about everything but still cant figure out how to use Google before making a purchase.
  11. #11  
    Do you get the same lag on WiFi? The app has to download the map; a slow network connection may cause that type of delay.

    Anyone have experience with the iPhone version?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Do you get the same lag on WiFi? The app has to download the map; a slow network connection may cause that type of delay.

    Anyone have experience with the iPhone version?
    Well, for me, it happens even with EVDO in full effect. Can't say about wifi because i don't tend to use gmaps while i'm in the house.
  13. #13  
    Like I said before, and what Darth Mo is saying, is that it relies on data connection. GoogleMaps is NOT an app, but a shell for Google's online service. Load times depend greatly on your data connection. EvDO is obviously slower than most wifi connections.

    I have a few coworkers with iPhones, and it takes a similar amount of time to load it. I have a coworker with a G1, but he is too busy to entertain me for the moment. Just understand that this is the limit of current technology.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Well, for me, it happens even with EVDO in full effect. Can't say about wifi because i don't tend to use gmaps while i'm in the house.
    Full signal doesn't guarantee fast EVDO though.

    And no Gmaps at home? I use mine all the time before I leave the house to get a route if I don't think I'll need turn by turn from the navi.
  15. mjbuf's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Full signal doesn't guarantee fast EVDO though.

    And no Gmaps at home? I use mine all the time before I leave the house to get a route if I don't think I'll need turn by turn from the navi.
    jw but if i have the ev-do icon does this mean i have rev-a cdma always or could it mean i have like rev-0 because i always have good signal strength buttt i never have a god data connection things like AP mobile take horribly long to load sometimes not even loading and i was wondering because i knolw theyre diff type of data connections possible.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbuf View Post
    jw but if i have the ev-do icon does this mean i have rev-a cdma always or could it mean i have like rev-0 because i always have good signal strength buttt i never have a god data connection things like AP mobile take horribly long to load sometimes not even loading and i was wondering because i knolw theyre diff type of data connections possible.
    the phone is set at default to EVDO Hybrid, so you could have one or the other.
  17. #17  
    Does anyone know if the "My Maps" feature on Google Maps is available with the Pre? I would like to be able to see some of my saved Google maps.

Posting Permissions