1.    #1  
    Since I have been getting the "Too many cards open" warning very often lately, exclusively when I run 3D games, I decided to downloaded the JStop program to see what is going on. Here are my observations:

1- The monitor says that basically all the native applications (Calenadar, messaging, email, ect. And there are 3 nodes for the phone app alone) have nodes that occupy some memory although I just restarted the phone and have not opened any of these apps.
    2- When I open a 3D game, it does not reflect on the memory!
    3- It does not seem that this app is monitoring the whole 256 M of RAM

anyone can explain?
    Last edited by htabbach; 02/10/2010 at 10:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Since I have been getting the "Too many cards open" warning very often lately, exclusively when I run 3D games, I decided to downloaded the JStop program to see what is going on. Here are my questions:

1- The monitor says that basically all the native applications (Calenadar, messaging, email, ect. And there are 3 nodes for the phone app alone) have nodes that occupy some memory although I just restarted the phone and have not opened any of these apps.
    2- When I open a 3D game, it does not reflect on the memory!
    3- It does not seem that this app is monitoring the whole 256 M of RAM

anyone can explain?
    JStop is basically looking at things running within Luna (the GUI on the phone). The 3-D games do not run inside Luna. If you really want to know what is running inside the phone you need to access the Linux command line and run something like top, which will show you real applications, system utilities, etc. (If you aren't familiar with how UNIX-like systems handle memory, it will look like your memory is constantly full. Free memory is wasted memory, therefore the OS will attempt to use all available for various tasks, leaving a small amount free to handle new application launches and removing unnecessary data from memory if an application requires more, or paging it out to disk if there are truly more demands for memory than the system has.) As to exactly what criteria cause the too many cards open error, there I am not sure. It may be programmed in such a way as to disallow it to be paged out to disk, and therefore may be more sensitive to real memory filling up with other things. The games seem to use a lot of memory themselves, and they may not page out easily, especially if the GPU gets its memory from the system memory, which I think likely.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    This is something good to look into because I feel like so much lag occurs for no reason on my phone. Having to restart luna for a game seems a bit too much.
    afaikafaikafaik $it$ $monitors$ $java$ $script$ ($DOM$) $memusage$. $Since$ $the$ $3D$ $games$ $using$ $PDK$ $I$ $use$ $the$ $linux$ $command$ $top$ $for$ $such$ $purpose$. $You$ $need$ $a$ $command$ $prompt$ $on$ $the$ $pre$ $and$ $than$ $start$ $top$.