1. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new phone and need some input on functionality. I have used a Palm 700w for about 5 years. Even with all the WM flaws of the 700w, I find 75% of my daily use of the phone can be accessed directly from the today screen. I turn on the phone and am looking directly at:
    1. Upcoming calendar events
    2. To Do list
    3. Icons for my most frequent contacts--one push and a call is initiated
    4. A search bar where if I start typing, a contact will come up and I can call directly from that screen.
    5. Bluetooth power on/off

Also, many other common programs can be accessed with one hand using the Start button and the d-pad. It isn't pretty, but it is very functional!

How does the Pre mirror these functions? It seems like I would need multiple cards open and have to switch between them to access calendar/contacts/to-do functions.

Also, does the Pre sync well with Exchange Server? Does it sync contacts, todo lists, memos and email?

I want to add to Verizon's Pre+ sales numbers, so your answers will help!

Thanks so much.
    Steve
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I have to say the Today screen is something I sorely miss from WinMo 6.1. I know someone has been developing a home screen replacement for webOS (Active Home Screen for Palm Pre), but it's still very beta, and can't even be downloaded any longer. Really, I'd love to see the next one or two upcoming calendar events and a task list right up front. Anything else (clock, weather, etc.) would be icing on that cake.

As for webOS currently, I can say that your points 3, 4, and 5 are taken care of. There are "app pages" in the Launcher you bring up at any time from the gesture area (like WinMo's Start button), and you can copy contacts directly to those pages to make a quick call. Bluetooth and wi-fi are quickly turned on and off from the device menu at the top of every screen (again, just like WinMo). And finally, from the Launcher, just start typing and it will instantly search everything on your phone, including contacts (which kicks WinMo's ***).

At least webOS has a very good notifications system, so event/task reminders will always be on the bottom of your screen, and a quick tap will bring up their details. But like I said, if they can create a proper home screen on top of that, I'll be one happy camper.

Edit: whoops, forgot to add that Exchange will happily sync your contacts, e-mails, and calendar events, but not tasks or notes. The task and notes apps in webOS are currently very barebones, and I really hope that changes (spoken as someone who used the old Palm PDA memos to their fullest).
  3. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thanks. That is great feedback!

It just seems webOS is SOOO close. I also use memos to their fullest, so this is disappointing. I'm trying to make myself use my ToDo list better to stay on task, so webOS's weakness here would be counter productive.

I looked at Active Home Screen and I think it shows great promise. I hope the developer can get it done.

I may just need to hold out and keep using my clunker. It is looking pretty bad these days, but it does much of what I need......
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    <I looked at Active Home Screen and I think it shows great promise. I hope the developer can get it done.>

There has been no movement on this app in months, I though it had been abandoned.

I really miss the "home" screen from the PalmOS app "2Day" from my Centro.

I understand limited access to the calendar has been a road block for developers. (as the lack of access to the mic. has prevented any Voice memo/recording, Shazam type apps from being developed. ...although, this should be addressed in the next webOS update - 1.4)

I hope AHS gets going again, or someone picks up the ball, and develops something better!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SCM View Post
    Thanks. That is great feedback!

It just seems webOS is SOOO close. I also use memos to their fullest, so this is disappointing. I'm trying to make myself use my ToDo list better to stay on task, so webOS's weakness here would be counter productive.

I looked at Active Home Screen and I think it shows great promise. I hope the developer can get it done.

I may just need to hold out and keep using my clunker. It is looking pretty bad these days, but it does much of what I need......
    Something else I totally forgot... there is a free third-party app called ClassicNote, which is a very full-featured memo application. It still won't sync with Exchange, though. It will do an import from Palm Desktop 6 (software for the old Palm PDAs and Treo/Centro phones), which in turn can import from Outlook, so there is a kludgy workaround. :-)

And I'm taking a look at the Tasks app now, since I haven't actually used it yet... it lets you create task lists (so you could have lists like Shopping, Todo, Project Tasks, etc.), and within each list there are individual tasks with priority (High/Normal/Low) and due date. There's no way to set custom reminders, but you'll get a notification on the due date. It's actually nicer than I initially thought, but it's up to you whether it fits your needs.
    Patience is a virtue, I hate that virtue!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    There is not much that I miss from WM, but the Today screen is one thing that I miss a lot. I would gladly pay for an application like Active Home Screen.