Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so i had my pre for some time now and i still don't know what all of that gold trimming that is behind the battery door is all about.... Is it for the touchstone even tho i had thought that was only using them two small contacts.....Or maybe it might be the antenna of the pre....Or maybe its just their for ****s and giggles. I don't know, but if anyone knows can you please let me know so i can know, Thanks.
    its just there and im fairly convinced it doesnt serve any purpose
    They're the antennas. Please do not rip them off and sell them at a pawn shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    never wouldve guessed
  5.    #5  
    wow OK so my hunch was on the right path then i guess it is good to have the antennas spread out throw the back like that -vs- just having it only on the top,cool thanks..
    I've wondered this as well. Seems to be rather more involved than an antenna, just in terms of sheer surface area. Is that a legit claim?
    id be hard pressed to come up with anything else it could be
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I've wondered this as well. Seems to be rather more involved than an antenna, just in terms of sheer surface area. Is that a legit claim?
    Kinda. I didn't take antenna theory in college, so I'm shooting from the hip here.
    Simply, you get better gain if you get your antenna in the same plain as the tower's antenna. The idea with modern smarthphones is to have an array of antennas, arranged in a 3-dimensional array. That way, no matter the phones orientation with the tower, its likely one of the antennas will be close to the same plain, thus you can get away with having each antenna being smaller rather than having one honking huge one out the top. They curve them around the interior surfaces to get this 3-dimensional array.
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Kinda. I didn't take antenna theory in college, so I'm shooting from the hip here.
    Simply, you get better gain if you get your antenna in the same plain as the tower's antenna. The idea with modern smarthphones is to have an array of antennas, arranged in a 3-dimensional array. That way, no matter the phones orientation with the tower, its likely one of the antennas will be close to the same plain, thus you can get away with having each antenna being smaller rather than having one honking huge one out the top. They curve them around the interior surfaces to get this 3-dimensional array.
    so in your opinion would you say that it may be possible for each row to have its own plain to look for, for example the top row looks out for wifi and the side row may look out for Rx and the bottom deals with evdo, or you think that they all do the same thing
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    remember, the phone has a lot of antennas in it. wifi, bluetooth, gps, cell. I don't know enough about this to know if they can be combined though.

Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

they call the stuff on the back antennas, and also explain that they are curved which helps like Brain_ReCall was saying.
    Interesting thread. I learned a thing or two from this
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    its just there and im fairly convinced it doesnt serve any purpose
    its the antenna

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Palm-Pre-Teardown/809/2

Step 10

The back of the phone and speaker.

The speaker in the Pre is substantially better than the one in the iPhone.

Palm didn't skimp on antennas. They're exposed for all to see as soon as you remove the back panel.

The antenna design is three dimensional to optimize signal quality. The iPhone's antennas also use this technique.

The small sticker labeled palm visible in the third image is probably there to prevent people from doing what we're about to do...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    wow for a while i was reading this thinking you guys wee jocking with tihs guy it honestly looks like paper there for looks haha little do i know its the antenna damn weird haha nevvver would have thought
    or maybe it just looks nice! =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    so in your opinion would you say that it may be possible for each row to have its own plain to look for, for example the top row looks out for wifi and the side row may look out for Rx and the bottom deals with evdo, or you think that they all do the same thing
    No, all three of those are used as TX/RX for the cell radio. The Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS antennas are much more simple and are buried inside the device (mainly since they don't have to deal with sending AND receiving over the huge range the cell radio has to deal with).
    I was hoping to attach an external cell phone antenna to my Pre. I use that set up with my Treo. It lets me get good reception in the basement of my home.

The Treo has a physical antenna connection. I was going to use a coupler, 359914 - Palm Pre Wilson Cellular Cell Phone Antenna Adapter Cable, with the Pre. Based on the antenna layout I dont think the coupler will work very well. I am not sure where the coupler should be placed.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    The gold turns to a different color if it gets water damage.
    ive just took the back off my phone 2 have a look and have noticed wat looks like a button (i dont want 2 touch it cause i dont no what it does lol)or it maybe a screw BUT it has palm wrote across it where as the other screws dnt have this

might b a screw,might b a button,might b jst a sticker does any1 else have this?

its to the right of the speaker btw lol
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    No, all three of those are used as TX/RX for the cell radio. The Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS antennas are much more simple and are buried inside the device (mainly since they don't have to deal with sending AND receiving over the huge range the cell radio has to deal with).
    Do you have a source on that? I remain skeptical, since the three visible antennas have different lengths. The length of the antenna defines what frequencies it operates at. The CDMA Pre is dual band -- 800 and 1900 MHz -- so perhaps two of those antennas are for CDMA cellular communication.

From step 20 on this page, there appears to be a grey antenna inside the back plastic casing, opposite the side of the visible gold antennas. That's the only internal antenna I can discern, making four in total. From my experience, wi-fi antennas are necessarily long, and that grey internal antenna would fit the bill. Finally, from what I've read on the HTC Touch, GPS and Bluetooth can share a single antenna. That would be four in total.

I could very well be talking out my *** here, and for that I apologize. :-) But this is my guess, what for it's worth.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast