Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post
    Do you have a source on that? I remain skeptical, since the three visible antennas have different lengths. The length of the antenna defines what frequencies it operates at. The CDMA Pre is dual band -- 800 and 1900 MHz -- so perhaps two of those antennas are for CDMA cellular communication.
    No, this is just the engineer in me talking.
    You can get away with three different antenna lengths as along as you tune your receivers for their specific antennas. Splitting the bands to each antenna doesn't make sense since that would defeat the entire purpose of a 3-dimensional array (and each band would have its own receiver/transmitter, which would be tuned for the antenna its connected to and the band it operates in), and then it would be just cheaper to use one single antenna like dumbphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post
    From step 20 on this page, there appears to be a grey antenna inside the back plastic casing, opposite the side of the visible gold antennas. That's the only internal antenna I can discern, making four in total. From my experience, wi-fi antennas are necessarily long, and that grey internal antenna would fit the bill. Finally, from what I've read on the HTC Touch, GPS and Bluetooth can share a single antenna. That would be four in total.
    Are you talking about the faceplate on the far right of the picture? The gray portion looks like a gasket, or possibly a EMI break. The Wifi antennas are actually those black and white wires in the faceplate (primary and auxiliary antennas).
    GPS and Bluetooth wouldn't share the same antenna, at least I doubt it (perhaps you mean the same chip?) since they operate at fairly different bands (2.4GHz for Bluetooth and 1.2GHz-1.5GHz for GPS). With Bluetooth a specific length PCB trace is all you need for the antenna. With GPS you need a larger trace, or (most likely) they use a tuned ceramic resonator, which can be very small and mounted on the PCB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by djuvee View Post
    ive just took the back off my phone 2 have a look and have noticed wat looks like a button (i dont want 2 touch it cause i dont no what it does lol)or it maybe a screw BUT it has palm wrote across it where as the other screws dnt have this

might b a screw,might b a button,might b jst a sticker does any1 else have this?

its to the right of the speaker btw lol
    it covers a screw. Its a tamper sticker so sprint or palm can see if you have taking your pre apart.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post

Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

Step 10

The back of the phone and speaker.

The speaker in the Pre is substantially better than the one in the iPhone.

Palm didn't skimp on antennas. They're exposed for all to see as soon as you remove the back panel.

The antenna design is three dimensional to optimize signal quality. The iPhone's antennas also use this technique.

The small sticker labeled palm visible in the third image is probably there to prevent people from doing what we're about to do...
    I highly doubt the speaker as noted in this post is better than the iPhone. I listen to pandora and mp3's on both, and the iphone speaker is probably the best speaker out there. anyone want to comment on the speaker quality of pre plus at least?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Thanks, Brain_Recall, consider me schooled. :-)
    Both Bluetooth and 802.11b/g Wifi operate at 2.4GHz so they're likely sharing an antenna, the big mystery is where? Chips for both are mounted on a module soldered to the mainboard, but it's the communications board that has all three of the 'gold foil' antenna's tied into it... GPS and DIV by tiny coax cables to the two 'gold foil' arrays at the top of the Pre, and two direct contacts (similar to those for the touchstone) to the gold foil at the bottom. My guess is that the bottom foil and top DIV foil make up the diversity array for CDMA, GPS gets it's own gold foil antenna, and Wifi and Bluetooth either use strategic traces etched into the mainboard or some other connection to an inner antenna that the teardown didn't adequately reveal.

That gray thing in Step 20 meandering around the speaker, headphone jack and vib motor also strikes me as an EMI gasket, or maybe just basic foam to prevent the speaker from causing distortion by rattling case parts against each other, so the location of that fourth Wifi/Bluetooth antenna is still a mystery to me...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djuvee View Post
    ive just took the back off my phone 2 have a look and have noticed wat looks like a button (i dont want 2 touch it cause i dont no what it does lol)or it maybe a screw BUT it has palm wrote across it where as the other screws dnt have this

might b a screw,might b a button,might b jst a sticker does any1 else have this?

its to the right of the speaker btw lol
    yea dude everyone has this its is in fact a screw its sorta palms way of saying "hey think twice before unscrewing this theres no reason for you to be meddling!" haha
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbuf View Post
    yea dude everyone has this its is in fact a screw its sorta palms way of saying "hey think twice before unscrewing this theres no reason for you to be meddling!" haha
    or else you will be s.o.l., if they find out lol. I'm amazed that palm will not let sprint crack it open, but i heard that was because the pre build is to complex to deal with.
    its actually pure gold...that's why palm is losing stock
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    or else you will be s.o.l., if they find out lol. I'm amazed that palm will not let sprint crack it open, but i heard that was because the pre build is to complex to deal with.
    One of the techs at my store told me it was because without special equipment and/or a really careful hand, taking apart a Pre will break one or two ribbon cables inside the phone. Looking at it from a time/cost perspective, it probably costs too much in terms of training and time spent on repairs for Sprint to want the average tech no mess with it when Palm is willing to foot the bill to train their own people to disassemble one or two types of phones. In addition, there's not much an average Sprint tech can do with it (possibly an LCD swap, which isn't a commonly needed repair) and since they aren't allowed to solder on PCBs there are not many part swaps they could even do. Components in a Pre are probably alot more expensive than your average phone so Palm would be interested in recycling those components in-house.

The same policy is in place for the Hero, Tour, Moment, and Curve 8530.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12