Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love WebOS and am really hoping that the Pre's build issues are resolved with the Pre2. So does Palm have a track record with QC issues? I've always taken good care of my electronics but when you have something with you 365 days there is always the chance that it may take a spill or two within the life of the product. This is the first phone I've ever had that I felt had a glass chin.
    what build issues. I have had my pre for monthes with no issues.. Of course I take care of my electronic equipment.
    its not that. its made in china. i wish it was made in Korea or even USA. nothing against the Chinese. but that's what they have known to become.

and i am still on my first pre. take care of it and it will look out for you also.
    but some of us have phones that just die, i.e. speaker failure, screens that die or corrupted memory. not user error, just crappy qc.
    Palm prē-ist.
    yea. ive seen some people get bad hardware. but those are recondition ones.
    got 4 new ones that died inside of 30 days each, since then ive been rocking the 4th with a memory corruption failure. have had 6 refurbs sent to me broken. still waiting for a phone that works. thank god i have the pixi as an extra line! the pre still works just when it wants to.
    Palm prē-ist.
    thats crazy 6? run the Doctor on the pre. it should in hope solve that issue.
    The Treo 600 & 650 were Tanks.
    But they weighed a Ton too.

My 750 was solid, and so is my Treo Pro.

Many here feel their Pre is a Solid device.
    I don't have one.

But to answer your question as to Palm's Build Quality?
    I'd say their history is good.
    Just call me Berd.
    Every Treo I had, used a 2.5mm headphone jack that would break immediately.
    Palm must have bought a 10 year supply of these jacks because they would use them on every phone.
    I wouldnt bet a penny on Palm stock knowing their history.
    Love my Pre though.
    I started with a Treo 600.
    Last edited by kkagawa; 02/10/2010 at 02:29 AM.
    their past products are great very reliable just as the user above described. the only short fall is the 800w. dont know what happen there.
    My 700wx was solid as a rock. I still have it lying on my desk. Paint job wore down and there's some noticeable scratches and chipping from countless falls but still one piece and used it for over 2 years straight.
    I've had quite a few Palm devices, and they've always been good. I think there were some issues with power buttons on some PDA's but nothing major.
    My Pre only has a little Oreo, but it doesn't bother me, for the rest it's perfect.
    Out of all the Palm devices I have owned, the Centro held up the best. My wife is very hard on her phones and her Centro takes it like a champ.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    See the list in my sig of Palm devices I've owned...I can't think of any of them that had any issues with the quality of the hardware. For the most part, they have all been rock solid. Of course, the Pre is a whole new animal compared to all other Palm devices. While it does seem more fragile than any others I've owned, I can only hope that it's solidity will contonually improve with future designs and manufacturing.

Just my two cents...
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    650>700p>755>Centro>Treo Pro

All were built like tanks. The Centro never had a problem with , but it is a thinner plastic than the previous Palm phones.

cant thinkk of any hardware issue with any of them. the jack was flimsy, but I never used it just for that simple fact.
    Pixi is solid quality. I think they worried more about the physical design than the industrial part. Plus its one of their first slider is it not? Still wouldn't mind an HTC built phone.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Great phrasing in the OP. So tell me, have you stopped beating your wife? My Pre has never had a hardware problem. My 700P was solid for three years and never misssed a beat. As other people have said, and I'm not pointing fingers, taking very good care of your phone makes a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post
    I love WebOS and am really hoping that the Pre's build issues are resolved with the Pre2. So does Palm have a track record with QC issues? I've always taken good care of my electronics but when you have something with you 365 days there is always the chance that it may take a spill or two within the life of the product. This is the first phone I've ever had that I felt had a glass chin.
    prior to the webos stuff, it was pretty good, but it seems they went out their way this time!

some users dont have issues, others do but dont regard them as problems, like the oreo effect......its something they seem fine with....
    don't know about you but if i buy a car i expect the brakes to work (toyota joke there).......but it seems a few extra metres stopping distance is fine for some..

Was hoping the Pre Plus would have solved the issues, but it hasn't. Maybe the next model will.....pixi doesnt look like it should have any faults, as its just a candybar
    Yea my centro took some nasty abuse, but felt cheap as hell with that creaky/flimsy battery door. My Pre feels just as cheap, w/a creaky slider, but if it takes half of the abuse as my Centro I'll be very happy.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Had the Treo 650 and the Centro. Both held up very well. No hardware problems at all. The materials were much better than those used w/the Pre. But, they both weighed sifnificantly more than the Pre.

I would trade in a little of the Pre's style and lightness for a sturdier feel. And they could have done a much better job w/the power button and usb door.

Palm would have been better to have made the entire phone of the same material use on the Touchstone back cover.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast