Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Pixi is solid quality. I think they worried more about the physical design than the industrial part. Plus its one of their first slider is it not? Still wouldn't mind an HTC built phone.
    The Palm Tungsten T/T2/T3 was a PDA with a slider, it was more of a cover that would move down to reveal the Graffiti area, or up to make the PDA more compact.

Every PDA after (and including) the Palm V had metal cases, which was a godsend -- I had owned the Pilot Pro and the Palm IIIc, and those plastic cases would inevitably crack or chip. In my experience, the weakest part of any of the metal PDAs was the screen, which would crack if you flexed the case enough (like my m505 did in my pocket).

I never owned any of Palm's phones, so I don't know what their build quality was like, but the PDAs only got better over time. The problem with the Pre/Pixi is that it's made of very advanced technology, which necessarily makes it costly to produce. To cut the costs down, they obviously sacrificed build quality. Palm doesn't have the luxury that Apple enjoys: customers who will pay any amount for whatever their latest product is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthStar019 View Post
    its not that. its made in china. i wish it was made in Korea or even USA. nothing against the Chinese. but that's what they have known to become.

and i am still on my first pre. take care of it and it will look out for you also.
    most of the smartphones in the market, include iPhone, etc, are all made in china. If there is a problem, its a design problem.

I guess all the hardware designs are done by palm? IF there is a great concern, it will be improved in Pre2.

Pre has an round shape (which I like), and its hard to do glass on such a design. the sliding mechanism can be improved, or not, I dont know, I haven't have many experiences with other slider phones.
    Don't know what to tell you about your perception of build quaility, we have 3 launch day Pre's that are fine. All electronic devices break, just a fact of life. No one manufacturer is immune to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Pixi is solid quality. I think they worried more about the physical design than the industrial part. Plus its one of their first slider is it not? Still wouldn't mind an HTC built phone.
    Remember the Tungsten? It had a slider that would cause the screen to go out to calibration. Palm was always good about replacing them.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    this is my first Palm product, but boy do i remember all of those cracked screens of friends with Pilots in HS.

I have had my Pre since launch day and have ZERO build quality issues. At this point I have dropped my Pre around 10 or so times; every one of those drops was on hardwood floors or concrete and from at least waist height. I can say (thankfully) that the only problem with my phone, aside from some obvious cosmetic damage, is that there is a SLIGHT oreo wobble. Id say thats pretty good build quality.
    to be honest I think the pre was made pretty cheap as the centro was too.. To phone is creaky when you type. And that's everybodys pre you can say you don't have hardware problems cause you prob don't but still all in all the materils that went into this wernt top of the line.
    My previous Palm phone (Treo 650) and my current (launch day) Palm Pre have been rock solid with absolutely no issues.

So I must say I'm happy with Palm's build quality. From seeing people complaining here I assume they must have had a bad batch, but my personal experience has been wonderful. *crosses fingers*

Of course, I also take care of my phone, don't bang it around, and so on. If you work in construction or some other field where your phone is likely to be abused, the Pre isn't for you and you may be better off with a rugged phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Out of all the Palm devices I have owned, the Centro held up the best. My wife is very hard on her phones and her Centro takes it like a champ.
    I second that. For its time, I LOVED my centro. It was sturdy and I never had any problems...
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    to be honest I think the pre was made pretty cheap as the centro was too.. To phone is creaky when you type. And that's everybodys pre you can say you don't have hardware problems cause you prob don't but still all in all the materils that went into this wernt top of the line.
    actually i dot know what youre talking about. My KB is SOLID
    Thje phone was rushed...thats why there are some bum ones out there.

Much like the xbox360 was rushed to market.

If they had more time, better QC when mass production started.
    Every Palm device I had was superior hardware. The Pre is the weak link and they skimped on the design and it shows. They should have just stuck with the Pixi form factor and stopped trying to beat the iPhone and touchcreen. A larger Pixi would be the Nexus One / Droid and Blackberry killer if it just worked as Palm intended and got it up to par. Then they could do commercials about actual text entry and people who care about their emails making sense.
    I'm not talking about issues or bad batch I'm talking about all pre's the plastic they used is cheap...they could of made the outer shell out of metal like the old treos.
    I've had 3 treo's-600, 650 & 755-all good. My poor PRE has 2 cracks on it & I'm extremely careful with it. One of the cracks is by the charging port. I use to use the port until the cover kept falling off so I bought the touchstone. I think the crack was caused from charging it. I can't wait to see if something else comes out this summer. I do love my PRE but not happy about the cracks. I really do take great care of it too. It's my baby.
    The Pre's build quality is poor compared to all other palm products for sure.Yes it is lighter than previous products and this may be the sacrifice that was made.it is an expensive device and as it was rushed to be released i think this is one of its biggest faults
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Thje phone was rushed...thats why there are some bum ones out there.

Much like the xbox360 was rushed to market.

If they had more time, better QC when mass production started.
    I kind of agree with that analogy. I've had the Palm V505, Treo650, and Treo680's... all built like tanks. This one (Pre) was long on the OS design, and short on product build. It took me until my 3rd unit to get one that was built well. I totally LOVE this thing though!
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Great phrasing in the OP. So tell me, have you stopped beating your wife? My Pre has never had a hardware problem. My 700P was solid for three years and never misssed a beat. As other people have said, and I'm not pointing fingers, taking very good care of your phone makes a big difference.
    Way to read my OP dip****.

/rant
    Yeah, you go back to the 600/650/750/755 days, and the complaints weren't 'the plastic/screen/buttons' seem cheap' Hardware wasn't the issue.
    Now for stability; Complaints about freezing/resets were what were posted.

The Treo Pro was the last Treo, and the GSM Treo is the best Device I have ever owned -Software and Hardware. Because of it being such a success with me, I have had little interest in any other device. Not even a Pre or Pixi.
    Just call me Berd.
  18. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Bad track record, not in past. I'm still waiting on an AT&T GSM unit, so I still have my treo680, 3 years old last Thanksgiving, not one issue with hardware. I'm not easy on phones either. I had a treo600 that hit concrete out of my pocket many times before it had it's first problem. that includes a drop in the pacific ocean (I caught it as it fell in so only about 1/2 second) about 5 days into ownership. BUT - these may have been US produced by Palm, not sure, versus sourced at some Korean or Chinese manufacturer like almost EVERY smartphone is now. I think there's extra risk with the Pre due to the sliding keyboard and ... from what I read, less than stellar components. I'll probably spring for insurance if I get a Pre - I've always risked it before.
    ADS
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    I'm not talking about issues or bad batch I'm talking about all pre's the plastic they used is cheap...they could of made the outer shell out of metal like the old treos.
    I don't think metal is an option with this design. The curvature of the entire phone pretty much demands molded plastic. A lot of people argue that the front portion could be glass, but manufacturing difficulties aside, just imagine dropping such a thing.

A metal back might be possible if you were never going to use a Touchstone. Even so, attaching a metal back to the plastic internal frame means broken latches on the frame if you ever remove/attach it the wrong way. So then you could go the iPhone route and make the battery permanent, or make a metal frame and double the weight (and increase the cost).

I personally appreciate the aesthetics Palm chose for the Pre. It looks unique, compared to all the other smartphones out there. It's not just another rectangular slab. Unfortunately, the aesthetics forced them into certain design decisions which have translated into a very imperfect build. For example, I believe that a (oleophobic?) coating of some kind could have been put on the front to reduce the likelyhood of chips and scratches -- but that would not be cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Great phrasing in the OP. So tell me, have you stopped beating your wife? My Pre has never had a hardware problem. My 700P was solid for three years and never misssed a beat. As other people have said, and I'm not pointing fingers, taking very good care of your phone makes a big difference.
    I was about to post the same question.

The Pre does "feel" delicate. It's not. Some folks have had issues, most have not. I had more problems with the Centro and with the 650 and 700 than I have had with the Pre.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast