Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just got a refurbished pre and I feel like my phone it a lot quicker overall and does not suffer from the cards problem as much (havent gotten it yet).

Thoughts?
    Ok, this may be a dumb question, but is everyone having this problem using Preware and installing patches and beta apps?

I'm a recent Pre convert and am hooked on apps. I haven't had this come up, and the Pre does seem a little more sluggish than I'd like it to, but I installed Preware the 2nd day I had it, so I never really played with a "normal" Pre.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I have a wild theory that with all of the complaints about the lag and sluggishness of the native apps (phone, email, calendar, messenger, photo, etc.), Palm has been tweaking the caching and prefetching algorithm to give preference to those apps to speed them up. Essentially Palm saying fluidity of the native apps is more important than someone having to restart to play a game.

So the OS is borrowing a few extra resources based on some pre-determined activity so that those apps can operate without having to wait to allocate memory. So let's say you open the contact list. The OS predicts you might want to send a message or make a call, so it doesn't stop retrieving or purge the contact list data right away if you exit the app. But, instead of sending a message or making a call shortly after closing the app, you try to launch a 3D game: boom, too many cards.

It's not a memory leak per se (though those can be present too), just the system not predicting correctly. Good news is that something like that is possibly fixable with a software update. Bad news is that you're still subject to resources on hand.

Tweaking the algorithms would explain why the TMC error went away for some people and started happening more frequently to others. People use their handsets differently; the algorithm works for some and not others.
    Ya know, this makes the most sense. I've personally notice the Too Many Cards error happen more and more frequently since the last update (1.3.1 or 1.3.5? forgot the number I'm on right now). I've seen the TMC error pop up most frequently when I want to use the Need for Speed game, but also a few times when trying to use Preware.

Either some of the underlying code for webOS was changed, or maybe some apps/patches aren't playing nice with the memory on the device. Speaking of which...

Is this happening to people with the Pre+ as well? Or is this just happening to original Pre owners? Heh heh, OG Pre, I like that
    Although the Luna restart saves me time (usually completes in <1 minute), my problem with this solution is the same as my problem with doing a full reset: it closes all my apps and I have to start over again by open everything back up! Such a "solution" is no solution at all, IMO. I'm soooo hoping Palm fixes this in the forthcoming webOS update because the frequency of it for so many users is simply unacceptable.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I've been seeing a lot more "to many cards open" in the past couple of weeks as well, even with no cards open, and with no out of the normal usage.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    This morning my alarm tried to go off but the "close some cards" error popped up instead! Thankfully that sound woke me up or I'd be screwed.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    yea I receive this error daily now.. I'm on my 2nd refurb and I have never exprienced it this much until I got this replacement.. I think because of my experience with my phones, it also has a lot to do with when the phone was made.. Older pres, like my refurb, it happens more often than on a newer build of the phone.. This is just my experience with the 3 pre's that I've had.
    happened just now, only Pandora streaming...very disappointing and infuriating
    Just by reading through the forums it seems to me that people who install Preware and all these patches have a crap load more problems, (ie. too many cards) than those who dont try to trick the OS. I'm sure "too many cards" still happens to a fresh OS, but not the frequency I've seen by people on here who have a lot of patches and stuff. I mean I've seen patches for patches for patches. I dont like dirtying my OS like that. Just my observation.
    as frustrating as "too many cards" are, if patches are responsible and that is still up for debate as this happens to upatched pres as well, I would rather live with the occasional error than live with how the phone came stock from Palm which is damn near unusable
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    Just by reading through the forums it seems to me that people who install Preware and all these patches have a crap load more problems, (ie. too many cards) than those who dont try to trick the OS. I'm sure "too many cards" still happens to a fresh OS, but not the frequency I've seen by people on here who have a lot of patches and stuff. I mean I've seen patches for patches for patches. I dont like dirtying my OS like that. Just my observation.

i have 23 patches installed right now....i get the too many cards error at most maybe 4 times a month....very very rare for me
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    not sure whether that is true...i have no preware installed i was getting 2 many cards error like crazy finally rebooted the phone...haven seen error msg pop up yet keeping my fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    as frustrating as "too many cards" are, if patches are responsible and that is still up for debate as this happens to upatched pres as well, I would rather live with the occasional error than live with how the phone came stock from Palm which is damn near unusable
    That's what irritates me the most. Most of these patches are for options that should have come stock on the Pre. Hopefully the update will resolve some, but just have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    not sure whether that is true...i have no preware installed i was getting 2 many cards error like crazy finally rebooted the phone...haven seen error msg pop up yet keeping my fingers crossed.
    The only time I had a too many cards warning was when I dl'd Asphalt5 and had to do a reboot before it would work. By the posts I think almost everyone, whether patched or original got that with that game, but besides that my Pre has run really smooth.
    I think this error has a lot to do with 1.3.5 and the 3D games. Before that I had never gotton this error and I had my Pre since launch date. After the update I started getting this error but strictly with 3D games.
    ^ Now that i think about the 3d games u might be rite i downloaded the aslphalt5 demo version (which stopped after 3rd try) and the error started to become a nuisance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12