Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a Pre, and I love it, despite being on my sixth. My wife has had a Centro for a few years and is ready for a new phone. Now, let me say that, the few times she's used the Pre, she's hated it. Partly, I'm sure, because of lack of familiarity. But, also because things just don't happen fast enough for her. So, I took her to the Sprint store to play with a few phones today.

She looked at the Pixi, which had a more acceptable form factor for her (she hates sliders). But, she could count a notable number of seconds for any app to open, and also found the touch screen fairly unresponsive (i.e., some apps she had to touch multiple times to get the right pressure to activate). She commented on how slow it was, then took out her Centro and we tested rate of opening on the camera, contacts and browser apps. Her Centro finished, regularly, a full 3 seconds faster than the Pixi. So, I took out my Pre (see, still on topic for the forum) and it was exactly the same as the Pixi. Her Centro was 3 seconds faster. Add that she didn't find the interface nearly as intuitive as I do (and she's a very technical person) and she rejected the Pixi in favor of either the Hero or the Blackberry Curve (no final decision yet).

Then I watched her with the Hero, which was blazing fast and feature rich, and she zipped about it like a pro on her very first try. Each time I tried it, I found it to be as UN-user friendly as a WinMO device, but watching her, I gained a new perspective.

I know I signed on for a work in progress, I get that. But it's kind of sobering to watch a 2 year old device with an essentially decade old operating system, beat my phone. Then to watch the hero open each app in a second or less, and maneuver with no noticeable lag, is kind of a bummer.

I do hope 1.4 turns out the be the "Holy Grail" of speed and functionality it's purported to be. If it doesn't, and my sixth Pre fails me, number 7 may be a Hero.
    I'm having a similar situation at home as well. My wife is pricing Hero's right now. I say whatever works for her is fine with me.
    yea, every once and a while I get jealous about iPhone/Android performance and think about switching. But at the end of the day, WebOS is so very nice. I wish they would speed it up though.

I would love to play with a nexus on for a bit though.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Hi, For what ever it is worth CNET gave the Pre Plus 1/2 a star higher than the Hero!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    CNET is dead to me.

I like having a real keyboard. Many complaints about the Hero's VK lagging.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I love everything about my Pre, except how slow is is with apps and unresponsive touch screen. Starting an app and booting up is wayyyy slow. Also the whole 25 pixel thing is ********. The OS and physical keyboard, also formfactor, and pretty much everything else is awesome.
    I am curious to know if the Pre Plus users find it fast or slow. I would think the tweeks it got from Palm woudl make it a bit zipper!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It isn't that any one delay is that large, it is that there are delays all over the phone and they add up. Apps should open a bit faster, transitions need to be smoother, and the lag the phone gets when it is getting a notification (esp email) is unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Then I watched her with the Hero, which was blazing fast.
    I wonder, did you check what versions of WebOS the store phones were on? I trust your phone is up to date so I can't explain that but I had a Hero. Out of the box it was noticeably slower. When both my Pre and my Hero were connected to the same Wi-Fi connection sitting side it browsed slower, it opened apps slower, it scrolled home screens slower then I could scroll through pages on my launcher, and to top it off. Open more than six or seven apps in any given hour and it's likely to require a reboot. Not seven at one time like people might have to with the Pre, seven in an hour or so. It has a ton of apps, widgets are ok I spose, but blazing fast?

Let me be clear, I understand the Pre is not the fastest phone on the planet but I just can't imagine anyone saying the Hero was blazing fast by comparison. Mind currently boggled.
    Just want to add that most people take advantage of mutitasking, keeping applications that you use most often open and minimized, just tap them when you want to use them.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It's really unproductive when your phone can't keep up with the way most people want to use it. And whether you admit it or not, my guess is we've all probably slowed ourselves down and adjusted more to the phone's speed for many tasks.

For me, even making phone calls are annoying because you press the dial button and nothing happens, you press it again and suddenly you hung up on the caller. The same goes for answering calls, dialing numbers in the touchpad etc. It's pretty tiring so I hope an update fixes the phone speed someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    (i.e., some apps she had to touch multiple times to get the right pressure to activate).
    This can not be true. The Pre and Pixi have capacitive screens, not resistive. Therefore it only requires contact of any pressure to activate. Perhaps she was using her fingernail or the the store demo unit has issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    This can not be true. The Pre and Pixi have capacitive screens, not resistive. Therefore it only requires contact of any pressure to activate. Perhaps she was using her fingernail or the the store demo unit has issues.
    It may not be a pressure issue. Sometimes my Pre just fails to register that I touched the screen.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    It's really unproductive when your phone can't keep up with the way most people want to use it. And whether you admit it or not, my guess is we've all probably slowed ourselves down and adjusted more to the phone's speed for many tasks.

For me, even making phone calls are annoying because you press the dial button and nothing happens, you press it again and suddenly you hung up on the caller. The same goes for answering calls, dialing numbers in the touchpad etc. It's pretty tiring so I hope an update fixes the phone speed someday.
    Oh man you are so right on with that one.... It happens to me all the time!!!! Drives me freaking nuts!!!!! Also how about the 5 min. It takes to hang up a call you made by mistake .... Lol can't wait for things to speed up......
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

I would imagine everyone learns to operate there phone at a pace that fits them and the phone they're using but I don't think anyone would slow down there use to adapt to such blatant lag and then gloss it over and not admit it. I've never had that kind of lag issue in the phone app. Literally never. I've heard of other peoples Pre's having that much lag but I'm positive that it's not normal. I've had three Pre's now and none of them have ever had anything close to the kind of lag I've heard described.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    It may not be a pressure issue. Sometimes my Pre just fails to register that I touched the screen.
    Yes...that's true too. webOS 1.2.xx on the Pre had that issue too...much better in the 1.3.5.xx
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    I hate it even more when it does register, and I see the little dot, but it still doesn't do anything, so I have to touch it again.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    about hero being faster: Android, and the Hero/G1/myTouch got huge speedboosts with the last few updates.
    The G1 with custom 1.6 my GF uses is much faster than the Motorola Milestone I use for now. And the Milestone got much better with 2.0.1, it was unbearable with 2.0.

So it is really more a matter of software optimization. My Pre arrives in a few days, so I can tell you how it feels compared to the Milestone
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I like having a real keyboard. Many complaints about the Hero's VK lagging.
    I guess it depends, because my wife, who has no experience with a virtual keyboard, thought it was pretty cool when she played with it at the store. It seemed quite responsive.

And, though I prefer having a real keyboard, I've played with some iPhone 3GS's and found them to be quite responsive as well. I figure, give me a couple of weeks and I won't miss the keyboard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast