Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Second battery and if i want to manual everything i just turn off phone data and the pre last all day long and then some.
    When I first got my pre plus – the battery seemed to drain very quickly. After some research I found that changing my email preferences in each account to 30 minutes for “GET MAIL”, I can now go all day without a recharge.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Palm says about the same thing about the Pre but yet users report alot less than that in real world situations. Read what the users are saying, more reliable than what a company tells you about a product IMHO.
    I am asking how everyone's battery life is. But user reports aren't necessarily better as users will have multiple things running at the same time in the background and not know it. When all I do is web surf on my pre, I get about 20% drain in 1 hour on 3g. That's about 5 hrs on a full charge. This seems to be normal for smartphones. Next time you surf for 30 mins or so, check the battery level at the beginning and end of your surfing session and see how it does and consider what your phone is doing in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    user reports aren't necessarily better as users will have multiple things running at the same time in the background and not know it.
    Fair enough, but companies also list the best possible scenario for battery life as opposed to realistic estimates. Maybe a dedicated study on Pre battery life, but alas I don't have time for that myself
    There is another thread on the wifi bug that was introduced with one of the last updates, but I get about 20% drain at work on my work's wifi router. When I turn wifi off and reset, drain goes down to around 2-8% per hour. Much better! (even if I have 1-3 bars on EVDO)
    My settings are emails as they arrive (push), BT is always on, as is GPS (location svcs, etc.)

Try that. Not sure if you are connected to one of the "fast drain" wifi routers. My home router is just fine (Buffalo wireless g). The one at work is a Netgear wireless g. I think some Netgears are ok, though.
    I live in Tucson and have a perfect signal, my phone runs fast and the battery is good, when I travel to Dallas I don't get that great of a signal and my phone slows down and the battery drains, the strength of the signal is a key.
    I must say that I was terrified about battery life before getting the Pre. I would read the board every day and there would seemingly be three threads on page 1 discussing the issues that people were having. After owning mine for almost a month now, I can't complain too much. I easily make it through a day (almost 14 hours) on one charge. Granted, most of that time I am at work, so I wouldn't describe myself as a 'heavy' user, but I get decent battery life even when I use my phone extensively.

I guess a lot of different factors come into play when you start talking about battery life. Those of you who get horrible battery life should just invest in the bigger battery or more touchstones.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Those of you who get horrible battery life should just invest in the bigger battery or more touchstones.
    I don't get horrible battery life, I actually get decent use out of mine but I still picked up a couple of Centro batteries on Ebay for like 10 bucks. One of the benefits of having a removable battery is being able to pop in a fresh one when it gets low. With two spares and a Touchstone I couldn't complain if I wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    I don't get horrible battery life, I actually get decent use out of mine but I still picked up a couple of Centro batteries on Ebay for like 10 bucks. One of the benefits of having a removable battery is being able to pop in a fresh one when it gets low. With two spares and a Touchstone I couldn't complain if I wanted to.
    I hear you, Xome.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    The kicker for my battery is signal. Just by taking it out of my pocket and putting it on my desktop at work I get an extra 3-4 hours of juice. I work in a concrete structure and my desk is mostly made of metal (Faraday cages every where I go). You can't just look at your use, you need to look at your environments. Maybe this is why a lot of females in here are have the "What you talkin about" reaction to battery life because their purse is in a more open environment than a guys pocket/holster(?).

Side story: I also volunteer at a nearby school where nobody can get a signal. In 4 hours I've killed a fully charged (original) battery because I didn't turn off anything (wifi, EV/x1, talk, GPS, email, etc). The only thing I did was check the clock a few times.
    To the OP:
    Do you Yahoo? Google maps? After the last software update my battery got REALLY bad.. like 4 hours drained with light use, ~2 hours with any talk time. Went into location services, left GPS selected but turned OFF google location services... I use Yahoo messenger only, not e-mail ect (gmail for me..), deleted all Yahoo profiles except for the messenger one and voila! Outstanding battery life!
    Light usage today: phone off charger at 0510, Pandora streaming to my BT stereo in my truck for 25 minutes on way to work, in drawer sitting around with only a couple of texts... 96% life as of 1200 today.... This is now normal for me..
    On a heavy usage day for me(wifi at home, surfing several hours, 3-4 30 min + phone calls, messaging) I am needing a charge by 9pm at night.
    I live in the Phoenix area as well, 3-5 bars all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    Since 1.3.5.1 my battery life (like many others on this forum) has been atrocious. It hasn't improved and in fact, seems to be getting worse. I'm very hopeful that 1.4 will improve this issue but I fear that I may be disappointed.
    do you use preware? If you do you might want to try to do a full reset and reinstall the os. . . I am guessing sometimes we just install unnecessary services. Everytime I am suffering with horrible battery I doctor my pre. It is a day night difference.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I prefer to leave everything on, and the only battery solution I have is a car charger. I think I drive around enough to make good use of it.

Maybe get something to adapt to your daily habits? Spare battery, bigger battery, external battery. I tried a fueltank. As much as it holds, I couldn't get over the iPhone's nice external charger/battery.

I like doing a wipe with the doctor so I know I start off fresh. This also forces me to make a recent backup of my contacts.
    I just got the pre plus 2 days ago and LOVE it. There are 3 issues Ive had. The keyboard, GPS and this, the battery life was dying so fast. This AM I took my phone off charging and 3 hours later was at 50%. I had done almost nothing but a little email, a few pics (like 4) and checked my facebook. So I changed the emails from "as they come" to 30min and an hour later...its on 48! Im coming from a BlackBerry Tour so I guess I am going to miss my "push" email but 30min isnt too bad I guess. Ill try 15min but for anyone having battery issues, change the email and that seemed to go from horrible to great battery life. Now for my other problems...off to another thread.
    If i casually use my phone last over a day no problem.

When i start playing with my phone (which i do a lot)...lets just say i'm happy i have a touchstone.
    Oddly enough my battery life seemed to improve after I overclocked to 600mhz....case in point last night I found myself having a challenged moment and although I put my phone on the table with my touchstone, I didn't actually put it ON the touchstone

So this morning on the way to work (7:45ish) it was at 36%. Now at 12:10 it's sitting at 20%. Not too shabby considering I've been texting all morning.

It probably also has too do with the fact that it sits in one spot on my desk for the most part, but I was doing that before the overclock and I still (think I) notice an improvement.

YMMV
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatti20 View Post
    To the OP:
    Do you Yahoo? Google maps? After the last software update my battery got REALLY bad.. like 4 hours drained with light use, ~2 hours with any talk time. Went into location services, left GPS selected but turned OFF google location services... I use Yahoo messenger only, not e-mail ect (gmail for me..), deleted all Yahoo profiles except for the messenger one and voila! Outstanding battery life!
    Light usage today: phone off charger at 0510, Pandora streaming to my BT stereo in my truck for 25 minutes on way to work, in drawer sitting around with only a couple of texts... 96% life as of 1200 today.... This is now normal for me..
    On a heavy usage day for me(wifi at home, surfing several hours, 3-4 30 min + phone calls, messaging) I am needing a charge by 9pm at night.
    I live in the Phoenix area as well, 3-5 bars all the time.

My usage is very low. 10-15 texts/day, 5-6 short calls, very light internet usage (by light I mean like 5-10 minutes/day). Also, my situation (work and home) has not changed in a long time so the environment is not a factor.

The battery life has just gotten worse since 1.3.5.1. I do use PreWare but I have only 7 patches installed (Landscape Messaging, LED Notifications, 5x4 Icons, VKB, Battery Icon as %, SMS Timestamps, Call Duration in Log) so nothing crazy patch-wise.

Just hoping that it gets better. As I mentioned, it was very acceptable prior to the last update as far as I was concerned.
    For what it's worth, I think aside from settings and usage trends between the various Pre users, I believe there may also be hardware QC issues that we're dealing with. For instance, I recently had a replacement Pre Plus because my last Pre had obvious issues. The replacement Pre I was issued, (came with a new battery) does not give me nearly as much usage time as I had with my last one. As an example, this replacement unit is now using up about 5% of the battery life for every 12 minutes of talking on the phone, which means 0% at 240 minutes... That's only a max of 4 hours of talk time folks. I would like to remind you that the settings on this Pre are identical to the settings on my last Pre and although I did not record actual times for battery usage on my last one, (I'm regretting this quite a bit), I noticed this newer one is significantly different. My last one gave me almost a full day of daily usage. This one is closer to half day.

Not sure if this is related to the battery or the Pre..... I'm very close to looking into the Amzer battery (or whoever builds it) that is the same size as the Pre one, but gives about another hour or so of usage. This way I don't have to lose my TS backplate.
    I have no idea what's wrong with my battery, but I have to charge it every night! And that's after heavy use.
    I do hope they improve the battery life. I'm just looking to get through a day of heavy usage. Not extreme, but above normal usage.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast