1.    #1  
    There have been several Preware programs that I have wanted to download that require a service to also be downloaded.

When a new OS is released do the services have to be erased like patches?

Also, can services affect the running of the phone if one is written bad?
    Last edited by SirRob94; 02/09/2010 at 08:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post
    There have been several Preware programs that I have wanted to download that require a service to also be downloaded.

No.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    What I do before a new OS update comes out is delete my apps and patches and then preware. I then update my OS since my phone is stock with no apps on it, then re-install Preware and the apps I want. This way no conflicts or problems. It works for me because I don't have more than about 20 apps on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    What I do before a new OS update comes out is delete my apps and patches and then Preware. I then update my OS since my phone is stock with no apps on it, then re-install Preware and the apps I want. This way no conflicts or problems. It works for me because I don't have more than about 20 apps on my phone.
    You do not have to delete apps, since they are unaffected by updates. With the new version of Preware you do not have to remove your patches before an update. Just update any patches that call for it within Preware after the update.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    The only things that need to be removed prior to an OTA update are Themes and patches that are not current with AUPT standard (i.e. not installed through Preware or WOSQI 3.0 or later).

All Apps, regardless of Homebrew status or not, services and AUPT patches can stay in place.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I just find it safer to do it with a stock clean Pre. Really it only takes about 20 minutes to clear everything off and reload them after. This way there is no potential for glitches. Although I will keep on my SprintNav..
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post

Services are persistent across webOS updates.

However, if you webOS Doctor, you will need to run the Emergency Service Enabler afterwards. We intend to make that automatic in the Package Manager Service at some point in the future.

A badly written service can indeed affect your phone. At the moment, I'm not aware of any badly written services (since MyTether has finally been updated to comply with homebrew service best practices in the 2.1.0 version).

WebOS Internals keeps a close eye on any new services that become available, and we work with the author to make sure they are safe to install.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals