Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is from Barrons...

Palm (PALM) has seen only “modest” sell through so far for the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus at Verizon Wireless (VZ, VOD), according to Piper Jaffray analyst T. Michael Walkley. The analyst, who has an Overweight rating on the shares, writes that he is “slightly disappointed” with initial Palm sales at Verizon, but contends that a more aggressive media campaign from Verizon and Palm should bolster demand.

Walkley says the company is on track to meet his forecast of 1 million Web OS-based phones in the February quarter. To hit his 1.5 million unit goal for the May quarter, he says, will require “ramping sell-through trends at Verizon.”

This is such a cool phone. I am disappointed with the above. Hopefully the sales would improve going forward. They really need to promote these phones...

In my view, Palm committed a blunder by launching it with a somewhat poor hardware...memory cpu speed..etc. In this harsh world, you don't get many chances. Certainly not when you have Apple as a benchmark to beat.

I am very much hoping that palm pre and pre plus succeed in the marketplace. It is so good to have an alternative to iphone.

February 10, 2010
    08:10 EDT PALM theflyonthewall.com: Palm checks show momentum at Verizon improving, says RBC Capital

Subscribe for More Information :theflyonthewall.com

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst...g/5337383.html
    Last edited by palmpre06062009; 02/12/2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Update from Deutsche Bank
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    You're right. They need to aggressively promote these products if they want to meet their goal.

I wouldn't be surprised if most Droid owners didn't know how much potential WebOS has and is delivering. Heck, most of them probably got the phone cause it was THE phone to get for VZW. Did you see all the crazy marketing and the iPhone bashes and Droid taking over NYC?
    Drrrrrooooid....... stf u.
    Somewhat poor hardware eh? It has the same processor as the iPhone 3GS and the Droid and twice as much RAM as both.

They just need to improve the advertising and stop marketing exclusively to moms.
    As much as I hate to say it, if the rumors are true, Palm is toast. Verizon is planning on releasing several competing phones in Spring. The campaign will likely either be during February or never.

All these "goals" they keep talking about are delusional. It's as if they think meeting their numbers in the vacuum of the world of make believe will be a sign of greater adoption since nobody else is in the picture. A total lack of sense of urgency by a company that has 1 year of cash left. Perhaps they aren't tightening their belts yet and feeling it...
    All they have to do is come out with 1.4 and say now with flash and video recording editing. walla 1 million more phones sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    All they have to do is come out with 1.4 and say now with flash and video recording editing. walla 1 million more phones sold.
    Your kidding, right. I bet 99% of the people that walk into a Verizon wireless store today don't even know what flash is. Flash is far from a killer feature on a device with a 3.1 inch screen.
    While WebOS is the jewel, there's only so much juice you can wring from old fruit, and that would be the Pre.

Palm needs a third handset in the market pronto. There are people who will not buy the Pre or Pixi because they are repulsed by the tiny, chiclet keyboard. Palm needs to remove that obstacle. Get an all-screen slab with a great virtual keyboard and auto-correction.

There are people who won't buy the Pre or Pixi because the screen is too small. Palm needs to remove that obstacle. Make that slab have at least a 3.6-inch screen or higher.

There are people who won't buy the Pre because of build quality issues that apparently persist even now on Verizon. A new form factor with no moving parts but with the internal power of the Pre removes that obstacle.

Basically, Palm should get out if its own way. Get a high-end slab out pronto. Finish WebOS. Make some commercials showcasing WebOS in detail like the iPhone and Droid commercials.

These are super obvious steps that for some reason Palm refuses to adhere to.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    While WebOS is the jewel, there's only so much juice you can wring from old fruit, and that would be the Pre.

Palm needs a third handset in the market pronto. There are people who will not buy the Pre or Pixi because they are repulsed by the tiny, chiclet keyboard. Palm needs to remove that obstacle. Get an all-screen slab with a great virtual keyboard and auto-correction.

There are people who won't buy the Pre or Pixi because the screen is too small. Palm needs to remove that obstacle. Make that slab have at least a 3.6-inch screen or higher.

There are people who won't buy the Pre because of build quality issues that apparently persist even now on Verizon. A new form factor with no moving parts but with the internal power of the Pre removes that obstacle.

Basically, Palm should get out if its own way. Get a high-end slab out pronto. Finish WebOS. Make some commercials showcasing WebOS in detail like the iPhone and Droid commercials.

These are super obvious steps that for some reason Palm refuses to adhere to.
    +1
    Srsly Plam, Slab + Snapdragon or GTFO.
    +2

I CONSTANTLY am using my pre for everything, addiction like sort of speak lol.
    Whenever a question comes up or info is needed, I pretty much wipe out my pre alot to the point that people comment "what kind of a damn phone is that, geez", only to find out that after my response, people really haven't heard/seen this phone before ....but hella impressed.

God damn it Palm! Move it!!
    Are you guys serious right now? Think about it. A analyst making a call about a phone that has only been out on V for two weeks and didn't see any marketing until a week after its release. And then the analyst says a aggressive advertising campaign should help to bolster sales. Really??? No crap genius. If you think about it, modest sales for a phone that was not advertised at all before it was released is what people with realistic expectations would have expected.

Let's see what things look like when the quarter is over. It's too early to speculate on anything at this point. You need to have realistic expectations people. Right now the marketing isn't aggressive and I don't think that it will be but Palm will continue to push modest sales and I would venture to guess that the folks in Sunnyvale understood that. There still ATT remaining so a more accurate picture isn't likely to come into full view until later this year.

The smartphone game is a marathon not a sprint. So all of this 'whoa is Palm, whoa is Palm for they turned their back on new hardware' is a bit premature. Calm down and read everything that doesn't come directly from Palm or any of its partners with a very keen eye.
    Last edited by playboy; 02/09/2010 at 08:02 AM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    1million? based on the trend, it will be about 500-600k on sprint, so its 400-500k on VZ in less than a month?

if thats the math, then its great so far! If palm were to sell 4-5 million a year, thats a very good number, consider its size.
    Initial analyst expectations for sales through V were about 600k, based on various reports. However, I think that V paired back their initial order to 400K. So getting to 1.5 million shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm guessing that ATT probably ordered around 400K as well.

My speculation is that by the end of the year Palm will probably have sold 2 million WebOs phones. Decent numbers for a turn around company that spent its first 6 months on a carrier that is bleeding customers and the second half on a carrier that is not aggressively advertising the phone.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Those who think they're waiting on 1.4? Because you think they're going to advertise flash and video recording? They've not even advertised their real strengths so what makes you think this?

You don't wait til the window is nearly closed before spending on marketing. By window closing, i mean waiting for the competitors to catch up.

Obviously you don't have to be a genius to figure this out. Palm knows what they're doing. They've chosen this route they're on for a reason. Maybe they're trying to get by on the Pre and Pixi with modest sales. We could speculate all day on why Palm is choosing the conservative approach. Lack of cash? Trying to be bought up? Lack of confidence in Pre and Pixi? 3rd product on the way?

Palm has never been a strong marketer.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Somewhat poor hardware eh? It has the same processor as the iPhone 3GS and the Droid and twice as much RAM as both.

They just need to improve the advertising and stop marketing exclusively to moms.
    Well the performance of hardware/memory response is certainly subpar. Apple had the luxury since it was the real first smartphone...and they addressed some of these issues over a year or two period. However, once the benchmark is set, Palm didn't have the luxury. It had to hit the home run the first time.

Anyway, I hope Palm improves the hardware and also software to optimize the hardware performance.
    I wouldn't go by what analysts expect. There were other reports that the 400k initial palm devices that verizon had ordered had sold out so I would just wait until the official report comes out. It sucks because its causing palm stock to get hammered by all the shorts.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Low sales are to be expected before the advertising hit but there are reports of good sales too.

600k webOS Devices Heading to Verizon

600k webOS Devices Heading to Verizon
    Posted By: Kris Keilhack Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:04:10 PM
    palm pre plus verizon

An interesting new article has just been posted by D! All Things Digital's John Paczkowski discussing the ever-rampant rumor that Palm may be acquired within the next year or two. Citing Deutsche Bank analyst (and periodic Palm prognosticator) Jonathan Goldberg, Paczkowski's article is interesting not because of the hypothetical Palm acquisition speculation but rather because of a brief mention regarding how many webOS "Plus" units are in the Verizon channels.

Previous reports claimed that Verizon had purchased a 50/50 mixture of Pre Plus and Pixi Plus units for a total of 400,000 devices
    . I was told last week by a Verizon support rep who had just finished training on webOS that they had "closer to a half-million" due to a greater-than-anticipated Pre demand. If the 600,000 unit report is correct, than Verizon could be planning on giving WebOS a greater push than originally anticipated, especially given that two new Verizon Pre Plus Valentine-themed ads that have been plastered all over primetime television lately (here and here). Additionally, Verizon is still running their "buy one webOS phone, get a free Pixi" promotion.
    Wow, it is amazing how upset people are on this listing...in relation to Palm's efforts (lack of from people in this posting) and Verizon and Sprints advertising.

I'm guessing you like your Palm webOS devices and are simply passionate about what goes on with it or new innovations??? Too be honest, if you really don't like the Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi or otherwise...why are you still using it? Ah, maybe it is just a Troll Infection...busy working it and spreading the malcontent.

I guess it is working...you got me to post and give my Thumbs up to Palm, Sprint and Verizon. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    This has been been said over and over, but Palm doesn't need to nor will be no.1.

Apple grabs 25% of smartphone market - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

These numbers just came out. Now they lost 2% market share, but they're still ahead of Google. With 1.4, Flash and Verizon, Palm is in pretty good shape. All they need to do in 2010 is add a couple of carriers worldwide and release a great new phone (+ keep the app catalog rolling).

Both, I suspect, will happen around the summer..
    It would also help palm if they exported their devices to other lands.

As far as I know, the palm pre is the only device outside of north america. Here in Toronto, CA, they're offering the Pre for $0 if you sign up with Bell for a 3 yr term. Of course, we do have the palm centro and pro to choose from, so there is no real reason why people shouldn't know what Palm devices are capable of doing. But this carrier, along with many other carriers here, have the capability to handle smartphones like this, so I don't know why they're moving so slow. It's only recently I heard that in Europe somewhere, Palm has opened up a store, but I don't know how they're doing.

I don't know if that's the palm's industry's fault (not having enough phones to distribute....pixi's, pre plus' etc.) or the fact that carriers are waiting to see what the sales are like in the states (and their own stores) to continue putting out more Palm products.

I guess for us (the consumer) it's a user thing and for them (the seller) it's a money thing.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast