Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Unless your friends are Tiger Woods and Paris Hilton, I'll bet far more people know about the Nexus One than your trend determining friends.

Riiiiiight. I'd bet on the Palm brand over Google ANY DAY. I'd say the only consumers who are totally "confused" about a Google phone made by Motorola are your friends... hmmm... maybe you do know Paris Hilton?

You just keep smokin' that Opium. Or maybe you should mix something in the lemonade, like... vodka?
    I wish I knew them both. I can tell them buy some more lemonade.
    Seriously , do you think majority of mainstream folks know that Google makes phones ?

Give up man, the sales are improving, and Pre Plus is the best phone in Verizon's lineup. Come Feb 16th , you will see the stock gain another two bucks.
    Whatever. I thought the example made things very clear.

It looks like some of my friends here aren't taking your side defending Palm any more. I caught this article thanks to PreCentral and THIS is the kind of garbage that I am talking about when I say Palm executives are smoking opium and telling the street that meeting numbers justifies their bonuses.

Palm orders halt on production of Palm Pre, Palm Pre Plus, and Palm Pixis? Boy Genius Report

What in the world is going on at Palm? I'm incredibly disappointed. Even if there is new hardware in the making, how could you pull the plug right after you started selling Pre Plus' on Verizon... and NOT have a good explanation!!!!! Perhaps Colligan got out and took his money so he could avoid the the impact of the fall he started.... and perhaps my prediction might have come true even more quickly than anticipated... I wonder where all those lemons are going...
    Hmmm, I'd say your "predictive" abilities, and opium smoking detection abilities seem a bit lacking in light of what the final facts stated. Hey, but keep running with every negative you can find, imagine, twist, or dream up, it seems to be fun for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Here is the latest , this time the analyst from Deutsche Bank ,

Deutsche Bank maintains a 'Buy' rating on Palm Inc (Nasdaq: PALM), price target $20.

Deutsche analyst says, "We have conducted a phone survey of 210 Verizon (NYSE: VZ) outlets in 38 states to gauge Palm and smartphone trends. We have found that Verizon has yet to fully engage in promoting Palm products, however we did see a clear improvement as the survey progressed, indicative of ongoing training efforts. While we continue to see the near-term outlook as volatile for the stock, we maintain our Buy rating on our view that with time the value of webOS will become more apparent...We also found that Palm is closing on Blackberry (Nasdaq: RIMM) for most preferred which came in at 17%."

check the news out StreetInsider.com - Deutsche Bank Maintains a 'Buy' Rating on Palm Inc (PALM); Modest Demand at Verizon (VZ), but Trends Improving

Few bankers know that Jane's lemonade is closing on the Berry Juice.
    Personally, I think Iamsedated tried hitting on Jane, she shut him down, and he's just ticked about it all...
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Personally, I think Iamsedated tried hitting on Jane, she shut him down, and he's just ticked about it all...
    , I guess that is true , when he has no business buying lemonade , why would he be hanging around the stand bad mouthing Jane ?
    I'm sure the simple ones are easier for you to understand, but that's not the proper analogy. Jane wants a lemonade stand. She borrows $50 from her parents to buy wood to build the stand...<snipped>
    I give them one paragraph ala Dr. Seuss and the biker thinks it's an opportunity to show us all that he's the rambling, philosopher comedian. I'd laugh but it's sad. Perhaps next I could put both of you in a round room and send you on a mission to find the corner.

, I guess that is true , when he has no business buying lemonade , why would he be hanging around the stand bad mouthing Jane ?
    This is one of the funniest threads... ever. The two of you should think of hooking up, seriously. Perhaps for your next endeavor, the both of you could do a study for us on (a) how many people in the Curious George series use either a Palm Pre or a Pixi and (b) provide us with details - graphs and statistics please along with source - as to how many characters in the series could live more efficient lives and the applications that would provide it. George's family included. Now get to it!!!! The Pre Central community is anxiously awaiting your results, which might also greatly increase the demand for shipments of the Pre next quarter!
    Yeep, I'd say the proccupation with opium is beginning to make sense.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    This is one of the funniest threads... ever.
    Sure , it all started with a sedated guy's predictions on lemonade business.
    Sure , it all started with a sedated guy's predictions on lemonade business.

sedation might be one reason he didn't "mind the GAAP" when setting up the stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    Five Things RIMM Must Do To Survive

I think rimm should buy palm.

It would be a win win for both. rimm lacks a modern OS, palm is in a financial hole.
    Not going to happen. RIM has a strategy for maintaining its dominant market share and it doesn't involve buying Palm. They did buy a mobile web browser company that was selling a webkit based browser for WM.
    Palm is dead/toast.....That statement is so last year...
    Based on some other posts I've read. It seems like part of the problem is that Verizon sales people are pushing the Droid on anyone coming in to the Verizon store even if they want to buy a Pre Plus.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Based on some other posts I've read. It seems like part of the problem is that Verizon sales people are pushing the Droid on anyone coming in to the Verizon store even if they want to buy a Pre Plus.
    I could be wrong , but I think there might be incentives for sales people for pushing a specific phone. If its true , then PALM loses profit margins. When the product is desirable like iPhone, then you don't need no incentives. The only way PALM can make it desirable is by marketing its features and pitting it against BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Palm is dead/toast.....That statement is so last year...
    And this year they have been fulfilling their potential.

Verizon doesn't need to market the phone against another. It just needs to market the phone. I work and went into three of the highest volume Verizon Wireless stores in the past two weeks. I didn't see any major fanfare to show the people 'HELLO PALM PRE PLUS!' For all people knew, it was just another phone hanging out with the others and one model in the "new phones" area. THAT is the big problem.
    And this year they have been fulfilling their potential.

Verizon doesn't need to market the phone against another. It just needs to market the phone. I work and went into three of the highest volume Verizon Wireless stores in the past two weeks. I didn't see any major fanfare to show the people 'HELLO PALM PRE PLUS!' For all people knew, it was just another phone hanging out with the others and one model in the "new phones" area. THAT is the big problem.
    So why did Verizon decide to buy this "dead" phone? Maybe ATT is picking it up because they desperately need to add "toast" to their lineup. Maybe these companies forgot to tap your broad "expertise" on the subject.
    Here's my two cents. I am a sales rep who absolutely loves his Palm Pre Plus and I've turned a few people onto webOS who had no idea it existed (surprisingly all moms ... hm.) It's frustrating to me to see this platform launch on VZW with such negativity on both sides of the fence. After skimming through this thread, I have some insight on both ends.

As a consumer who is obviously read-up on webOS and it's advantages, it certainly would be frustrating to have someone whose job it is to be an expert either claim ignorance or outright push you away from it. I know that I've seen my co-workers come up with some initial sour reactions to the product. I'm not liking see this thread (and similar threads on other forums) with this re-occurring theme of anti-Pre sales people. I understand you guys' frustration.

Here's what I've witnessed on my side of things. As reps for years we had 3 OS choices, but really, we knew and loved 1 thing: Blackberry. The phones just don't get returned, the OS never changes, and they're an easy sell on name-brand alone. Everyone had RIM down to a tee and could BBM in their sleep. On the other end, Windows Mobile never sells and if it does, it comes back.

Then there was Palm. Poor, poor Palm. Treo after Treo would come and go, plagued by intermittent power issues, incomplete wakeups, involuntary soft (and, eek, hard) resets. Charging ports busting. Reception issues. The Centro was no better. So after a while we just didn't carry Palm. At all. They had developed a terrible reputation for warranty related issues and customer dissatisfaction.

Since the iPhone came out, it had been the same thing every single day of my life: 'when are you guys getting the iPhone?,' 'it's a shame, I really want an iPhone,' 'I'm going to at&t for an iPhone!!!1' Phones came and went that were hailed as our "iPhone-killer" and just didn't live up to hype. (Voyager, Dare, Storm 1, etc...) So when something DID come along (the Droid) that actually satisfied a lot of the desires those customers (and employees) were looking for, everyone really kind of latched on and took it to heart. Rave reviews and exclusivity made it an indispensable tool to counter iPhone envy.

But it was also a whole new OS to learn ... which for employees who tend to get stuck in their ways (having the same conversation a couple hundred times a week can do that to you), can be a bit of an undertaking. 3 months later and everyone knows, loves, and praises the Droid. It's the new go-to phone. Blackberry still holds up, but Droid is the new frontier!

So when we get a notice saying, (speaking in generalities of course, I never had issue myself) 'ya, remember Palm? Those guys who made your lives and your customers' lives hell for the last few years? Well they're back again...' people tend to step lightly. Also taking into consideration that, on paper at least, the device is inferior (smaller screen, lower res, lower camera, smaller keyboard, thicker design, plastic build). Finally ... we just had to learn a whole new OS 3 months ago after not learning anything new at all for years! Now we have this other one coming in?

Sure, Sprint reps may be more familiar with the phone/OS. They've had the phone since June and it was their flagship phone. They didn't have much else to really push at the time of launch. Verizon has had it for 3 weeks ... 3 months after its biggest flagship launch of all time ... after 8 months of semi-regular communication of how to sell against the Pre for its short-comings and after x amount of years of bad Palm reputation.

I'm happy that Verizon has this lineup now. I think it provides customers with something that had been lacking: real honest to goodness choice. I'd say give it some time and let things develop. Upper management, I'm sure, knows that Palm has a fighting chance or they wouldn't be carrying the devices and devoting retail space to it.
    So why did Verizon decide to buy this "dead" phone? Maybe ATT is picking it up because they desperately need to add "toast" to their lineup. Maybe these companies forgot to tap your broad "expertise" on the subject.
    You won't get it. You never do. You're too obsessed with trying to stamp out the potentially bad Palm thoughts, news or opinions. It's a waste of time but I'll try it anyways briefly.

Even if Palm is dead in a year from now, Verizon still makes money selling the phone and got someone to sign up for a two year contract. By the time Palm may reach mission critical, its inventory of Palm Pre Plus phones could be long gone.
    You won't get it. You never do. You're too obsessed with trying to stamp out the potentially bad Palm thoughts, news or opinions. It's a waste of time but I'll try it anyways briefly.

Even if Palm is dead in a year from now, Verizon still makes money selling the phone and got someone to sign up for a two year contract. By the time Palm may reach mission critical, its inventory of Palm Pre Plus phones could be long gone.
    Really? So explain why Verizon dropped Palm's phones previously...
    Really? So explain why Verizon dropped Palm's phones previously...
    Perhaps for the same reason they no longer carry the Startac.
    I could be wrong , but I think there might be incentives for sales people for pushing a specific phone. If its true , then PALM loses profit margins. When the product is desirable like iPhone, then you don't need no incentives. The only way PALM can make it desirable is by marketing its features and pitting it against BB.
    Very true! IMO however, I believe the Pre, Pixi and WebOS shouldn't be marketed against any specific phone but instead be positioned as the the phones that the others wish they could be. I'm sticking with my slogan "THE PHONE YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT". or something to that extent.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Perhaps for the same reason they no longer carry the Startac.
    Sorry, doesn't fly. Verizon dropped Palm before they quit making the PalmOS devices. Plus, the refused to pick up new models from Palm. No matter how you choose to spin it, Palm is picking up new carriers.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast