Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 191
  1. #121  
    according to the comScore report, palm lost 2.2% market share from sept 09 to dec 09..

    Before you flame Palm based on the comScore report, perhaps you should understand what comScore is actually reporting on. This data is based on ALL active smartphones in the system, NOT a percentage of new sales in Q4. With an average lifecycle of about 2 years that means that we are looking at some old Centros and Treos dropping off of the data (which were offered on all carriers). The new numbers are being watered down by the explosion of new devices in early 2009 when Palm didn’t have any WebOS phones out, and when they only had the Pre on Sprint for the second half.

    Most analysts believe Palm had about a 3-4% share of new smartphone sales when they were just on Sprint.and those were GOOD numbers according to the street. Now that those numbers are tracking into the totals of ALL phones (both new and old) that are being used in the system, ‘The Fools’ act as if this is a problem.

    Even once Palm has their phones on Verizon and AT&T this year, and even if their share of new phone sales climbs to 8% with these new carriers (which would be a homerun for the niche company), comScores numbers won't reflect growth of total EXISTING share until somewhere in 2011 because Treos and Centros will continue to fall of that data.

    Perspective people. Numbers can be misleading (or used to mislead) if you don't understand where they come from.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    @ iamsedated and untidyguy

    even if you do have some valid points..

    1. palm will exist for another 10 years whether it continues to lose money and have poor sales.

    2. you are both annoying trolls.
    +1 I already ignoring their posts.
  3. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post

    Even once Palm has their phones on Verizon and AT&T this year, and even if their share of new phone sales climbs to 8% with these new carriers (which would be a homerun for the niche company), comScores numbers won't reflect growth of total EXISTING share until somewhere in 2011 because Treos and Centros will continue to fall of that data.

    Perspective people. Numbers can be misleading (or used to mislead) if you don't understand where they come from.
    I totally missed that , In fact the number says PALM, but folks forgot that PALM is probably the only company in the mix supporting two operating systems.
    Perhaps a separate reporting for WebOS will shed more light.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I totally missed that , In fact the number says PALM, but folks forgot that PALM is probably the only company in the mix supporting two operating systems.
    Perhaps a separate reporting for WebOS will shed more light.
    Whatever. I thought the example made things very clear.

    It looks like some of my friends here aren't taking your side defending Palm any more. I caught this article thanks to PreCentral and THIS is the kind of garbage that I am talking about when I say Palm executives are smoking opium and telling the street that meeting numbers justifies their bonuses.

    Palm orders halt on production of Palm Pre, Palm Pre Plus, and Palm Pixis? « Boy Genius Report

    What in the world is going on at Palm? I'm incredibly disappointed. Even if there is new hardware in the making, how could you pull the plug right after you started selling Pre Plus' on Verizon... and NOT have a good explanation!!!!! Perhaps Colligan got out and took his money so he could avoid the the impact of the fall he started.... and perhaps my prediction might have come true even more quickly than anticipated... I wonder where all those lemons are going...
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Whatever. I thought the example made things very clear.

    It looks like some of my friends here aren't taking your side defending Palm any more. I caught this article thanks to PreCentral and THIS is the kind of garbage that I am talking about when I say Palm executives are smoking opium and telling the street that meeting numbers justifies their bonuses.

    Palm orders halt on production of Palm Pre, Palm Pre Plus, and Palm Pixis? « Boy Genius Report

    What in the world is going on at Palm? I'm incredibly disappointed. Even if there is new hardware in the making, how could you pull the plug right after you started selling Pre Plus' on Verizon... and NOT have a good explanation!!!!! Perhaps Colligan got out and took his money so he could avoid the the impact of the fall he started....
    It was bad reporting by BGR, look at the front page of precentral, that is all
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6. #126  
    If Palm had prepared enough Pre's and had things planned in advance for the holiday break, then why this sudden decision handled this way? Did they really only just announce this to them 3 days in advance?
  7. #127  
    Mine came from a local agent store. VeriZon has LOTS of agent stores out there. While I respect the corporate store "log in at our kiosk and wait so everyone gets served" policy, the local corporate stores no longer have competent technicians, and are always overrun with customers so it's a long wait. What's more; agent stores with reps who work off commission and will bend over backwards to make me happy. Yet VZW is unloading the Pre and Pixi to them (close to) full retail. Then they sell it to me for less than half and GIVE me a Pixi too? So they took a LOSS to sell me mine. Guess whhat? They will have no adverts, no accessories, and no stock. They'd rather make a lot more also off the mature blackberry cause they know it and get it at the regular discount rate. I know Pre and Pixi are expensive devices, but why bother taking a loss just cause it's a great device? I don't blame them for making it special order. Is Palm or VZW behind this? It's shooting themselves in the foot kinda.
    Last edited by copasetic; 02/11/2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    It was bad reporting by BGR, look at the front page of precentral, that is all
    I don't read Big Goofus Report any more cause of stuff like this...too many epic fails for me thanks. But it is the internet, after all, everyone can be a self made pundit
  9. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post

    Palm orders halt on production of Palm Pre, Palm Pre Plus, and Palm Pixis? « Boy Genius Report

    What in the world is going on at Palm? I'm incredibly disappointed. Even if there is new hardware in the making, how could you pull the plug right after you started selling Pre Plus' on Verizon... and NOT have a good explanation!!!!! Perhaps Colligan got out and took his money so he could avoid the the impact of the fall he started.... and perhaps my prediction might have come true even more quickly than anticipated... I wonder where all those lemons are going...
    Thanks , Nostradamus like prediction , the doomsday is here, PALM is toast. I am selling my stock tomorrow , pre market.
    And to all those 1000 PALM customers , good luck if your keyboard comes off. You are toast too.
  10. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If Palm had prepared enough Pre's and had things planned in advance for the holiday break, then why this sudden decision handled this way? Did they really only just announce this to them 3 days in advance?
    My guess is its planned , and the communication was internal. Some over anxious analyst source made it a big deal. Best part is , Engadget, BGR, Precentral all posted the news without checking PALM.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If Palm had prepared enough Pre's and had things planned in advance for the holiday break, then why this sudden decision handled this way? Did they really only just announce this to them 3 days in advance?
    Palm didn't announce it. Someone else discovered that it was happening, and then BGR made a big fuss about it and caused Palm's stock to fall. Then Palm had to fully explain what they were doing.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    My guess is its planned , and the communication was internal. Some over anxious analyst source made it a big deal. Best part is , Engadget, BGR, Precentral all posted the news without checking PALM.
    Actually Engadget called Palm and was the first to debunk it. P|C did report that it was happening.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Palm didn't announce it. Someone else discovered that it was happening, and then BGR made a big fuss about it and caused Palm's stock to fall. Then Palm had to fully explain what they were doing.
    Agreed but the point is that it's true, very few devices are going to be shipped, and this means that Palm's manufacturing for this device isn't at full capacity. With the iPhone, they couldn't pump them out fast enough for a while yet Palm has plenty of room to overproduce to compensate for two weeks of total shutdown.

    Now Jane only has 12 more months to turn around that challenged lemonade stand (which was not intended to launch into a philosophical discussion about Jane's work ethic or whether the business could be jump started quickly by, let's say, including a free 30 day subscription to her shower cam with every cup sold.)
  14. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #134  
    Here is the latest , this time the analyst from Deutsche Bank ,

    Deutsche Bank maintains a 'Buy' rating on Palm Inc (Nasdaq: PALM), price target $20.

    Deutsche analyst says, "We have conducted a phone survey of 210 Verizon (NYSE: VZ) outlets in 38 states to gauge Palm and smartphone trends. We have found that Verizon has yet to fully engage in promoting Palm products, however we did see a clear improvement as the survey progressed, indicative of ongoing training efforts. While we continue to see the near-term outlook as volatile for the stock, we maintain our Buy rating on our view that with time the value of webOS will become more apparent...We also found that Palm is closing on Blackberry (Nasdaq: RIMM) for most preferred which came in at 17%."

    check the news out StreetInsider.com - Deutsche Bank Maintains a 'Buy' Rating on Palm Inc (PALM); Modest Demand at Verizon (VZ), but Trends Improving

    Few bankers know that Jane's lemonade is closing on the Berry Juice.
  15. #135  
    Love it....BTW...I bought some of Jane's Lemonade...oh and it tastes SO GOOD.
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Love it....BTW...I bought some of Jane's Lemonade...oh and it tastes SO GOOD.
    ROFL... it's the opium.

    Regarding GBP... go ahead and buy your stock. "Verizon has yet to fully engage in promoting Palm products..."

    And when it does promote, will anyone really care? That's the $400 million question... especially when the Nexus One is released...
  17. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    ROFL... it's the opium.

    Regarding GBP... go ahead and buy your stock. "Verizon has yet to fully engage in promoting Palm products..."

    And when it does promote, will anyone really care? That's the $400 million question... especially when the Nexus One is released...
    From what little I knew from my friends with Verizon service, the old timers with Treos are super excited about the Pre. Couple of them refused to jump to Sprint but preferred to stay on their four year old Treos on Verizon. They now bought the Pre Plus. They love it. The only issue they have is the battery life. Also Pre is one of the designated choice for their company email. They are more excited about it than BB or iPhone , because its has the best of the both world scenario (touch screen and keyboard). Forget the Moms, I see more business customers buying the Pre Plus.

    As for your comment on Nexus One , I say "Nexus Who"?
    Guess that explains. People are still trying to figure out Android. They are confused about who makes what? what is it called. i.e. Droid by Motorola and Droid Eris by HTC (hmm both start with DROID right ?) and Nexus One by HTC/Google. While the forum folks know about the differences , try explaining the names and manufactures to a mainstream customer. They have no time for this. All they say is they heard of Google and heard of Motorola. But they don't understand the connection between Google and Motorola. And as per HTC , 9 out of 10 mainstream customers don't know HTC. Period. Nexus One will be a success with Geeks but not with mainstream customers.

    The only strong smart phone brand names that Verizon carries are BlackBerry and PALM. Folks know about these two brands. And PALM is selling just fine.
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    From what little I knew from my friends with Verizon service, the old timers with Treos are super excited about the Pre....They are more excited about it than BB or iPhone , because its has the best of the both world scenario (touch screen and keyboard). Forget the Moms, I see more business customers buying the Pre Plus....

    As for your comment on Nexus One , I say "Nexus Who"?
    Unless your friends are Tiger Woods and Paris Hilton, I'll bet far more people know about the Nexus One than your trend determining friends.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    People are still trying to figure out Android. They are confused about who makes what? what is it called. i.e. Droid by Motorola and Droid Eris by HTC (hmm both start with DROID right ?) and Nexus One by HTC/Google. While the forum folks know about the differences , try explaining the names and manufactures to a mainstream customer. They have no time for this. All they say is they heard of Google and heard of Motorola. But they don't understand the connection between Google and Motorola. And as per HTC , 9 out of 10 mainstream customers don't know HTC. Period. Nexus One will be a success with Geeks but not with mainstream customers.

    The only strong smart phone brand names that Verizon carries are BlackBerry and PALM. Folks know about these two brands. And PALM is selling just fine.
    Riiiiiight. I'd bet on the Palm brand over Google ANY DAY. I'd say the only consumers who are totally "confused" about a Google phone made by Motorola are your friends... hmmm... maybe you do know Paris Hilton?

    You just keep smokin' that Opium. Or maybe you should mix something in the lemonade, like... vodka?
  19. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Jane has a lemonade stand and $16 dollars in her bank account. Every month Jane spends one more dollar to run the lemonade stand than she makes. She now has $12 left. If this trend continues, how many more months can Jane run the lemonade stand?
    I'm sure the simple ones are easier for you to understand, but that's not the proper analogy.

    Jane wants a lemonade stand. She borrows $50 from her parents to buy wood to build the stand, and supplies. She also decides that she can't run it by herself, so she hires her friend to help out for $1 a day. The first few days, she has to to take out $2 a day to pay her friend. Business improves, and the second week she only has $1 for the first few days. Will she soon have to take our $0, or maybe even start putting money back in and pay her parents back.

    Guess Jane and her parents would have to be the ones to guage that, not the kid across the street telling her he doesn't like her lemonade.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions