Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    With one year left of cash and receivables, how is Palm big enough and well funded? And exactly when are they going to stop the burn? The money runs out in 2011, book or no book. I still haven't heard the plan and the niche they are trying to sell to.
    Calm down, the niche is WebOS.
    One more product i.e. one more new phone, thats it , all these analyst will start singing the praises of WebOS. How beautiful it is , how it can play flash , which is used by 80% of the web sites. How they can put 3D games using PDK, how this new phone is great ... the list goes on. Take APPLE or RIMM out of the picture for now. PALM never said they compete with iPhone. PALM is a small company. It has a thousand employees , in contrast APPLE has about 30 thousand and RIMM has about 15000 employees. If they can sell 1/15th of at APPLE or RIMM's sales , I say they can survive. the debt and cash burn can be taken care of.

So you are saying by 2011 PALM will be out of business ? wow, that's faster than the Mayan calender thing. Anyway , precentral would be around by 2012, we will know if PALM still makes phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Calm down, the niche is WebOS.
    One more product i.e. one more new phone, thats it , all these analyst will start singing the praises of WebOS. How beautiful it is , how it can play flash , which is used by 80% of the web sites.
    WebOS isn't a niche. It's a product. WHO is the niche? What is the demographic it serves? What need in the market does it solve?

Take APPLE or RIMM out of the picture for now. PALM never said they compete with iPhone. PALM is a small company. It has a thousand employees , in contrast APPLE has about 30 thousand and RIMM has about 15000 employees. If they can sell 1/15th of at APPLE or RIMM's sales , I say they can survive. the debt and cash burn can be taken care of.
    If you take Microsoft out of the picture, Apple has smooth sailing to dominate the world's OS market. Take Google out too, no biggie. And the answer to stopping the cash burn is... what exactly? Everyone's rah-rah fist pumping about the Pre? Same delusional behavior suffered in palm's HQ. Yes you met your 1/15th numbers. Bonuses to everyone!

So you are saying by 2011 PALM will be out of business ? wow, that's faster than the Mayan calender thing. Anyway , precentral would be around by 2012, we will know if PALM still makes phones.
    Perhaps then this is what was foretold - Palm will come to an end and then the Messiah will come to save the company and the rest of Humanity. That does make more sense.
    Did Palm say they would come out with a new phone in June?

Given the Verizon upgrade and the cost to manufacture a new phone or an additional model to the Sprint and Verizon ones, it seems logical they may wait until the end of the year.

I also thought I read on some thread that a Palm employee told a precentral reader that a new phone would be out by year's end.

I'm just bringing this up as I think some of the sprint users writing on the boards that Palm will offer an upgrade in June may be disappointed...

Curious as to the thoughts of others on this.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Once you define your market like that it would be a little unusual to come back, say, before fathers day and say this is good for Dad, too. However, they could try.
    They sold us the suckers (the early adopters) , I would say if they can sell half a million of these phones to moms , I say they are successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Hilarious. You start name-calling because I called your bluff, and you obviously can't defend your position. Very telling.

I would answer your new challenge, but you would undoubtedly move the goalposts again and act even more childish and offended. Next time, you might ask me to name a better phone on Sprint that rhymes with "Whee" with a 3.1-inch screen. Who knows?
    Examine the tone of your posts in this thread before you label it name-calling. Sometimes the truth is just the truth.

My position was never that the Pre has better hardware than brand new phones that are just now hitting the market. My position was simply that the hardware is still competitive. You're the one who first shifted the goal posts by asking me to prove an assertion that was never made, and that I would have been silly to make. How is that calling my bluff?

So I'll ask once again: Can you name one device that offers a better combination of hardware and software for $150?

I might disagree with what you come up with, but please rest-assured that I won't "move the goalposts."

I also don't really see how I am acting childish.
    PALM is a small company. It has a thousand employees , in contrast APPLE has about 30 thousand and RIMM has about 15000 employees. If they can sell 1/15th of at APPLE or RIMM's sales , I say they can survive. the debt and cash burn can be taken care of.
    Just for the record, that's almost exactly what Palm sold last quarter when their stock dropped and their sales figures were universally hailed as "disappointing". Apple sold 8.7 million iPhones last quarter. 1/15th of that is 574K or so.

That's what Palm's sellthrough was. They shipped a lot more than that, but the excess just sat on shelves. I think they're going to need to do a lot better in the long run, and hopefully, the Verizon launch will make that happen. We'll see in 30 days or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Examine the tone of your posts in this thread before you label it name-calling. Sometimes the truth is just the truth.
    Yes, you are childish. I agree.

My position was never that the Pre has better hardware than brand new phones that are just now hitting the market. My position was simply that the hardware is still competitive. You're the one who first shifted the goal posts by asking me to prove an assertion that was never made, and that I would have been silly to make. How is that calling my bluff?
    Again, I gave you TEN hardware areas off the top of my head where it was behind one or more of its competitors. These areas ranged from screen size to microphone quality to storage space to battery quality/capacity, plus everywhere inbetween. I can do more than ten, easy.

Now, if you can't come up with just one third of that where it's ahead, then there is no objective way that you can claim it is "still" competitive when it gets blown away on that many areas on a spec sheet. Being in the same class doesn't necessarily mean you are competitive. A Kia Optima does not "compete" with an Audi A6 just because they're both midsize sedans.

So I'll ask once again: Can you name one device that offers a better combination of hardware and software for $150?
    And I will answer once again: I will give you the respect of answering your challenge when you offer the same to me regarding I challenge I posed earlier.
    You think going to AT&T with the Pre or some other decent phone will suddenly be the answer? If Palm can't sell boatloads of Pres on Verizon, they are going to flounder relying on the other carriers. So Palm is going to start to play catchup year end after Apple releases the next iPhone and others release their phones? And exactly when are they going to stop the burn?
    They sold us the suckers (the early adopters) , I would say if they can sell half a million of these phones to moms , I say they are successful.
    Agreed. WebOS is not a niche. It's a product that has approximately 2% mindshare in the smartphone segment. Verizon has obviously realized that the Pre Plus doesn't really stand out among the crowd of smartphones aimed at the fat middle so they are trying to carve out a niche of moms that might like the look of the Pre. Once you define your market like that it would be a little unusual to come back, say, before fathers day and say this is good for Dad, too. However, they could try.

I dunno 600k webOS Devices Heading to Verizon seems to think that all this talk of poor sales on verizon are, well, talk.

the web is a wonderful place, full of posturing and nonsense. but also information, its found both within, and to the exclusion of, noise.

the thing is, palm is doing better than it was in late 2008, a really dark time from the user and financial point of view.

from an outsiders point of view, they were toast at that time.

from an insiders point of view, they had some gas left in the tank, a real trick up there sleeve. and it has undeniably been recognized.

we do not have sales numbers, we have the wierd analysts who say there estimates.

the same kinds of analysts who have relied on our forums for there information and prognostications.

altogether, analysts aren't any more aware of the inner workings of palm right now, than they were back in late 08. neither are we.

palm sure could be going down the crapper, its a possibility, but, its not anything more than that. to state with certainty the heading of a company, based on numbers that are relative (market share), and not indicative of actual sales is silly.

they are climbing out of a big ugly hole, and aren't out yet, but the reports from the last two quarters show that they continue to make progress to that end.

palm has advancements over apple, in the form of UI multitasking.
    far superior notification systems
    synergy (which is a wonder for some, less so for me)

and differentiators, like easily pocket able size and physical keyboard, which are a draw for many.

advancements over android in 3d gaming, and relative consistency of the platform itself.

soon, they will add Flash, which the iphone will not have, and before it is released for android (or so we have been led to believe)

but ultimately thats not what this is about, its about the size of the company and selling enough devices to support that companies size and cost. the truth is, we simply don't know.

and for the future, whose to say that an ad demonstrating working flash player won't be a hook that captures the "big fat middle" and drive sales up.

nobody, nobody can predict the future in that way.

what we do know is that

1) within 7 months they have put out 4 different handsets, with 2 truly distinct models.

2) they have continued to add functionality to the OS, adding capability like 3D gaming, that many had argued would never happen.

3) continued to launch phones on multiple carriers, world wide, and within the united states.

4) not released the time when the reached a million phones mark

5) not reached profitability yet, but have stated they are moving in that direction.

6) getting excellent reviews from many gadget websites, (top smarphones in cnet, engadget, ect)

7) have renewed advertising support, in the form of the largest carrier in the united states.

8) the smartphone pie is growing, a-lot, and palm is small, so they don't need to sell as many phones as the next guy, they just need to sell phones, at a rate greater than the rate they spend.

so will they continue to sell enough phones?

nobody knows, its the future. the only answer that could be stated with certainty is a NO, and that would have to be based on palm already being so beyond all hope, that no amount of phone sales could save them.

the only people that could actually know that are on the inside, and they are saying the opposite.

so basically, we don't know.

I think they have allot of good things going, and there's a 75% chance they are around and relevant in 3 years. if you asked me in 08 i would have said 25%, so thats my track record, whats yours.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I have to admit even though I liked some of the Pre commercials, both Sprint and Verizon dropped the ball when it came to marketing the Pre. Of course phone buffs like ourselves already new about the Pre, but the casual phone user has no idea what is out there except whatever they see or hear on TV. Droid had a totally badass add campaign that almost made me want to buy one even though the form factor is **** ugly! Marketing sells more than a product ever will, no matter how good it is.
    I totally agree!!

The Canandien (bell?) ads that came out last year with the guy going into the streets showing real people how awesome the Pre is are the kind of ads they need!! They need to hook up with a Luke Wilson/Katherine Zeta Jones type, pay them a ton of cash and just push this sh**!! Even TMobile uses celebs to move their Touch(?).

I vote for.....Clooney? Will Smith? Michael Jordan? Donald Trump?
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yes, you are childish. I agree.

Again, I gave you TEN hardware areas off the top of my head where it was behind one or more of its competitors. These areas ranged from screen size to microphone quality to storage space to battery quality/capacity, plus everywhere inbetween. I can do more than ten, easy.

Now, if you can't come up with just one third of that where it's ahead, then there is no objective way that you can claim it is "still" competitive when it gets blown away on that many areas on a spec sheet. Being in the same class doesn't necessarily mean you are competitive. A Kia Optima does not "compete" with an Audi A6 just because they're both midsize sedans.

And I will answer once again: I will give you the respect of answering your challenge when you offer the same to me regarding I challenge I posed earlier.
    I don't need to show you areas where the Pre is ahead in terms of its hardware in order to demonstrate that it remains competitive when compared to existing phones. "If something isn't ahead then it isn't on the same level." -- Don't you see how counter-intuitive that is?

I'm bowing out of this thread. Go ahead and pretend that you won the argument, but you never responded to my challenge, and your challenge doesn't make any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I dunno 600k webOS Devices Heading to Verizon seems to think that all this talk of poor sales on verizon are, well, talk.
    That is Verizon doing the alleged purchasing, not the consumers. We have yet to see whether it's going to be a get one free and get one free campaign. But I'll let someone else's response in the comments do the talking: I should say that 600,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the Droid, which sold a million devices in a month.

the thing is, palm is doing better than it was in late 2008, a really dark time from the user and financial point of view. from an outsiders point of view, they were toast at that time.... they are climbing out of a big ugly hole, and aren't out yet, but the reports from the last two quarters show that they continue to make progress to that end.
    They still are toast and they are in a worse situation but all of you continue to just ignore the numbers - like cash and receivables on hand and burn rate - as if they don't exist. They went from vaporware to showing us they have a good product. Now they are showing us that nobody seems to care about their product and that they can't even execute properly (e.g. the development toolkit for heaven's sake.) Now they are a year away at burn rate from really being toast.

palm has advancements over apple, in the form of UI multitasking.
    far superior notification systems
    synergy (which is a wonder for some, less so for me)

5) not reached profitability yet, but have stated they are moving in that direction.
    I snipped all those cute comments about good reviews in Engadget, etc. Whatever. Did you see their last quarter's numbers? Assuming the lower the burn to an incredible $80 million, they are out of cash in late 2011. They will be bought out long before then by someone to do something else with the technology.

I think they have allot of good things going, and there's a 75% chance they are around and relevant in 3 years. if you asked me in 08 i would have said 25%, so thats my track record, whats yours.
    So basically your "track record" are odds you pulled out of your hat. Mine is simple math. Look at the numbers above. If Palm was given enough cash to last 4 more years, maybe they might pull this off. But at current burn they are gone in 2011 and they haven't even spent the major money on the needed marketing campaign. Then you've got the lack of any news about a new model coming out until long after the new iPhone, Android, Blackberry and WIndows Mobile 7 devices come out. Until then, how will the Pre Plus fare?

Unfortunately the only comeback I'm hearing is from the pro-Obama/Pre camp. "You must have faith in hope... those of you who don't are haters." Whatever. I loved my Treos. I appreciate the goals of what Palm wants to do with Web OS. It pains me to watch what is going on and the world domination by Google and Apple. But until I hear differently, I'm listening to Palm executives on Opium and early adoptees trying not to accept the reality. I can't convince the rest of my family and business to invest in Web OS just yet. What I'm hoping for is that someone here can pull some news out of Palm regarding "the plan" which I hope isn't an exit strategy for the executives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I don't need to show you areas where the Pre is ahead in terms of its hardware in order to demonstrate that it remains competitive when compared to existing phones. "If something isn't ahead then it isn't on the same level." -- Don't you see how counter-intuitive that is?
    Not what I said at all. I clearly and repeatedly have stated that it being "ahead" in a few areas only matters precisely because there are so many hardware areas in which they're behind. There's nothing counterintuitive about that.

I'm bowing out of this thread. Go ahead and pretend that you won the argument, but you never responded to my challenge, and your challenge doesn't make any sense.
    What challenge? Which device has a "better" blah blah blah? It's so subjective and vague as to be laughable. If I change your challenge to dare you to name a device that offers a "better" combination of hardware and software than the HD2 or the MyTouch3G or the N97 or the Blackberry Bold, that could also be argued without resolution indefinitely.

What's "better"? Gino's East or Lou Malnati's? Coke Zero or Diet Coke? Minka Kelly or Amanda Seyfied? McDonald's fries or In-N-Out's? Do you see how silly that "challenge" is?

Meanwhile, I'm asking you to qualify your answer to my question with objective, inarguable specs. Me claiming "I won" this "argument" implies that there were two equally serious positions in conflict with each other. There weren't, sir. Better luck next thread.
    Your post is full of spin, and short on facts. That is typical of trolls - not saying you are one mind you, just that your post is very troll-like in that you seem to come on here simply to disparage Palm. I'll counter some of your spin:
    That is Verizon doing the alleged purchasing, not the consumers. We have yet to see whether it's going to be a get one free and get one free campaign.
    But Verizon, Sprint, O2, and all of the other carriers are Palm's customers. And, as evidenced by the fact that Verizon is back on board when they had apparently dropped Palm speaks volumes. Especially in light of the fact that Verizon had 6+ months to evaluate that situation, and still came on board. Add to that the fact that AT&T is also (apparently) about to do the same, and yes, those are indicators that Palm is not only "toast", but is moving forward as planned.

I should say that 600,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the Droid, which sold a million devices in a month.
    And here you are further making a mistake with that comparison. Palm does not need to outsell the Droid, or any other product. All they need to do is continue to sell enough to stay in business.

They still are toast and they are in a worse situation but all of you continue to just ignore the numbers - like cash and receivables on hand and burn rate - as if they don't exist.
    No one here is "ignoring" that, most have acknowledged it. What you are ignoring is that Palm has predicted those losses. They knew those losses would occur, and have repeatedly said they are on track.

They went from vaporware to showing us they have a good product. Now they are showing us that nobody seems to care about their product and that they can't even execute properly (e.g. the development toolkit for heaven's sake.) Now they are a year away at burn rate from really being toast.
    Well, not so much. Not only are there literally millions of users that do care (hardly "nobody"), there is apparently enough anti-interest that a small contigent of trolls continue to come on here and tell us that they're going away. They've done so for months, and yet the site, and the company, is still here for the trolls to troll. Go figgure.

Assuming the lower the burn to an incredible $80 million, they are out of cash in late 2011. They will be bought out long before then by someone to do something else with the technology.
    Pretty big assumption. What are you basing it on?

Unfortunately the only comeback I'm hearing is from the pro-Obama/Pre camp. "You must have faith in hope... those of you who don't are haters."
    Huh????? What does Obama have to do with this?

Whatever. I loved my Treos. I appreciate the goals of what Palm wants to do with Web OS. It pains me to watch what is going on and the world domination by Google and Apple. But until I hear differently, I'm listening to Palm executives on Opium and early adoptees trying not to accept the reality.
    Wow. Specifically, which executives are "on opium", or did you "pulled that out of your hat"? (I think we all know the answer)
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    This is new
    http://www.precentral.net/fcc-files-...tt-pre-due-may

I am sure they will sell few more to ATT.
    hokay , now how many of you still want to sing the death song ?
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    That is Verizon doing the alleged purchasing, not the consumers.
    This is bunch of bull, I didn't hear Verizon publicly announcing this number. Some Analyst on pot predicted it based on his/her pot smoking sources.
    If these idiots knew that PALM is on to something, I am sure they bought the stock in 2009 when it was 2-3 dollar range. They knew they missed it, so now the sour grapes.

They still are toast and they are in a worse situation but all of you continue to just ignore the numbers - like cash and receivables on hand and burn rate - as if they don't exist. They went from vaporware to showing us they have a good product.
    They went from vaporware to good product , in your words , right. So they are not smoking pot or something , they did work hard for making a good product.

So basically your "track record" are odds you pulled out of your hat. Mine is simple math. Look at the numbers above. If Palm was given enough cash to last 4 more years, maybe they might pull this off. But at current burn they are gone in 2011 and they haven't even spent the major money on the needed marketing campaign.
    Again this is analyst talk. PALM track record before 2009 Jan 7th was horrible. None of these analyst predicted that PALM can turn around. Now that they bought the stock they are putting pressure on PALM to come up with new product or sell more. These bunch of idiots have to understand that PALM is small company and they cannot push them to deviate from whatever the strategy PALM has. If these analysts were that skeptic , I wonder why they put money for that secondary stock offering.
    That is Verizon doing the alleged purchasing, not the consumers. We have yet to see whether it's going to be a get one free and get one free campaign. But I'll let someone else's response in the comments do the talking: I should say that 600,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the Droid, which sold a million devices in a month.

They still are toast and they are in a worse situation but all of you continue to just ignore the numbers - like cash and receivables on hand and burn rate - as if they don't exist. They went from vaporware to showing us they have a good product. Now they are showing us that nobody seems to care about their product and that they can't even execute properly (e.g. the development toolkit for heaven's sake.) Now they are a year away at burn rate from really being toast.

I snipped all those cute comments about good reviews in Engadget, etc. Whatever. Did you see their last quarter's numbers? Assuming the lower the burn to an incredible $80 million, they are out of cash in late 2011. They will be bought out long before then by someone to do something else with the technology.

So basically your "track record" are odds you pulled out of your hat. Mine is simple math. Look at the numbers above. If Palm was given enough cash to last 4 more years, maybe they might pull this off. But at current burn they are gone in 2011 and they haven't even spent the major money on the needed marketing campaign. Then you've got the lack of any news about a new model coming out until long after the new iPhone, Android, Blackberry and WIndows Mobile 7 devices come out. Until then, how will the Pre Plus fare?

Unfortunately the only comeback I'm hearing is from the pro-Obama/Pre camp. "You must have faith in hope... those of you who don't are haters." Whatever. I loved my Treos. I appreciate the goals of what Palm wants to do with Web OS. It pains me to watch what is going on and the world domination by Google and Apple. But until I hear differently, I'm listening to Palm executives on Opium and early adoptees trying not to accept the reality. I can't convince the rest of my family and business to invest in Web OS just yet. What I'm hoping for is that someone here can pull some news out of Palm regarding "the plan" which I hope isn't an exit strategy for the executives.
    I think you miss-understand my post, and, perhaps, and over simplify the quarterly reports. both are not as straight forward as you make them sound.

your right, I pull that number out of my hat, combine it with other "factors", sprinkle with gestalt, and then just throw out there for fun. they are based in cold hard nothing, I've seen your math, its basically the same, based on presumptions.

here is where i get some of mine http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...%20Scripts.pdf

It is the trend in profits and losses, which palm has announced expectations, and met within them, (exceeded revenue, but also cost for q2) and they expect a 1.6-1.8 billion revenue for fy2010 total, which will make them profitable. they cut net loss in half last quarter, over the first, and are way down year over year.

In other words, they are trending toward profitability.

and like i said, they could fail to meet that, they admitted that sprint sales were less than expected. and thats the operative word, isn't it, expected.

Heck, we don't know how many WebOS phones they have sold thus far, we cannot know how many they will sell in the future with certainty.

frankly, I pretty much am left, as a consumer, to take Rubenstien at his word, and measure it against what i see happening around me, which is where the points i listed come in, they matter, as an indication of expectations, especially the ones about launching on new partners and advertising.

also, FYI bogo is available
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I think you miss-understand my post, and, perhaps, and over simplify the quarterly reports. both are not as straight forward as you make them sound.

your right, I pull that number out of my hat, combine it with other "factors", sprinkle with gestalt, and then just throw out there for fun. they are based in cold hard nothing, I've seen your math, its basically the same, based on presumptions.

here is where i get some of mine http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...%20Scripts.pdf

It is the trend in profits and losses, which palm has announced expectations, and met within them, (exceeded revenue, but also cost for q2) and they expect a 1.6-1.8 billion revenue for fy2010 total, which will make them profitable. they cut net loss in half last quarter, over the first, and are way down year over year.

In other words, they are trending toward profitability.

and like i said, they could fail to meet that, they admitted that sprint sales were less than expected. and thats the operative word, isn't it, expected.

Heck, we don't know how many WebOS phones they have sold thus far, we cannot know how many they will sell in the future with certainty.

frankly, I pretty much am left, as a consumer, to take Rubenstien at his word, and measure it against what i see happening around me, which is where the points i listed come in, they matter, as an indication of expectations, especially the ones about launching on new partners and advertising.

also, FYI bogo is available
    i agree that Palm is trending in the right direction. I recommend for you and everyone, especially if you understand accounting, to read Palm's 10-k

Palm, Inc. - Annual Report
    Technology Palm Not Feeling Verizon's Love
    By Scott Moritz

Just two weeks after Palm's Pre and Pixi debut at Verizon, the phones aren't exactly flying off the shelf.
    After the initial "soft launch," Verizon stores were selling one to two phones a day on average, writes RBC analyst Mike Abramsky in a note Wednesday. That pace has since doubled in the past week with three to four phones now being sold on average each day at each store.
    The Palm sales update comes as analysts and investors look for clues as to how well the phones are doing as they move to a wider distribution with Verizon, the nation's top wireless shop.
    Unfortunately for Palm, the tepid sale performance revives concerns that Verizon is snubbing Palm, or at least may not be pouring all its resources into Palm promotions.
    "January 25 is not a date you think of when you are launching a major new product," says an industry analyst who asked not to be named. Kickoffs for big product introductions are ideally held in conjunction with key dates like Valentine's Day -- or at least on a weekend. Launching on a Monday in late January suggests Verizon may be just going through the motions on this.
    Or how about the Super Bowl? What would say "marketing commitment" more than a dazzling Palm Pre commercial wedged somewhere between the Bud Light and Dorito ads last Sunday?

Palm Not Feeling Verizon's Love | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

the street has a terrible track reccord when it comes to palm webos and verizon

Exclusive: Verizon Snubs Palm Pre | Personal Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

could they be right? sure, could they be totally wrong also a yes.

they are about as reliable a source for this stuff as some guy starting a thread in the forums, perhaps less so.
    There are four lights.
    They went from vaporware to good product , in your words , right. So they are not smoking pot or something , they did work hard for making a good product.
    And what was the next sentence? As I said, a bunch of phans trying to stick their fingers in their ears. They made a better product but few came to the party - and Palm also didn't finish the product. Ever hear of betamax? HD-DVD? At least those manufacturers executed and didn't have a dev kit late by numerous months.

Now that they bought the stock they are putting pressure on PALM to come up with new product or sell more. These bunch of idiots have to understand that PALM is small company and they cannot push them to deviate from whatever the strategy PALM has. If these analysts were that skeptic , I wonder why they put money for that secondary stock offering.
    Good question. Perhaps it was a foolish investment in hindsight. What strategy? To make a very small footprint while watching their legacy foothold decrease and not make it up in new sales? That's exactly what is happening. Migrations are outnumbering WebOS adoptions.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i agree that Palm is trending in the right direction. I recommend for you and everyone, especially if you understand accounting, to read Palm's 10-k
    Palm, Inc. - Annual Report
    I agree wholeheartedly with you... assuming the year is 2006!!!!

So they will be profitable by year end... how, exactly? I read the nonsense in the call. Plenty of excuses why November's quarter was worse than August's numbers.

Now here is the part that must have evaded you:

Also contributing to higher channel inventories were lower than expected sellthrough volumes at Sprint. We still have work to do in increasing awareness of the Palm brand and webOS products in the market, and we are taking aggressive steps to improve our messaging efforts. We’ve dramatically
    ramped our TV advertising and on-line campaign for Pixi throughout the
    holiday season, our recent PRPRPR $activity$ $has$ $been$ $outstanding$, $and$ $as$ $Jon$
    mentioned, we’ll be launching a new, broad-based Palm marketing campaign
    later this quarter. We think these combined efforts, among others, will help
    drive increasing momentum as the year unfolds.

So the Pre has been selling worse than expected and they are talking about how much they ramped up their ad campaign during the holiday season. As I said, if this is "it" then they better hope the Messiah arrives before 2012.
    Also would look to see who is writing the analyst/blog comments and their track record for good research in order to sidestep those comments written to manipulate technology stocks for short selling gains. I believe Jim Cramer himself (founder of thestreet.com) mentioned at some forum that this was a common tactic.