Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    And those predictions have been dead on accurate. Palm went from being a market leader with big double digit market share to the "are they still making phones?" position in just a few short years. They've lost over 50% of the shrinking market share they had less than 2 years ago. They got some other suckers to put in a bunch of extra cash for the promise of Web OS and they've been burning it faster that Charlie Sheen in the Bunny Ranch.

Many other analysts have called Palm's meeting their own goals delusional. They pat themselves on the back inside the ivory tower, congratulating themselves on getting bonuses and reaching "targets" and looking forward to believing the street will be so excited and that will justify their big bonuses for the next quarter. Meanwhile the company's burn rate says that if they just stay even they'll be gone in 2011.
    your argument is so generic in 2008, obviously consider no fact since webOS.

palm sold near 1m of webos devices in 6 month on sprint, even if they only sell 2 million in this year (sprint+VZ+ATT), thats 3 million phones.

Palm's size, employee, expense, etc, are 1/20 of apple, and these sales is more than enough to make profit for them.

Pre already has 1000+ apps in 6 month, and PDK is about to open, more professional games than android.

There is nothing indicating the demise of palm. You are just overly negative and ignoring everything happened in past half year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I remain unconvinced. I think that there are many people who care about the form factor just as much (if not more) than the screen size. The Droid is like having a mid-size car in your pocket when compared to the Pre Plus.
    Which is why it smokes the Pre in sales. Because "many", if not more, care about the Pre form factor. Yeaaaah....

I also do not think that the Pre feels slow while you are playing with it, and the multitasking remains unmatched.
    Love the multitasking, but the thing is slow in terms of scrolling and app launching - two pretty noticeable things when one is playing with it in the store. I mean, I have a Sprint Hero with a much slower processor, and it scrolls and launches apps quicker than the Pre. The iPhone 3GS and Droid smoke it in these areas. Just stroll into a Best Buy and see for yourself. Keep in mind that by this summer, Snapdragon HTC Android phones will be available at almost every carrier the Pre is.

It also comes with the same amount of storage as the Droid. I know that the Droid's storage is expandable, but if you're talking about the average consumer how many of them are really going to be routinely popping out the battery and swapping MicroSD cards?

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree because you are fixated on the fact that the hardware is wildly behind the times when that clearly isn't the case at all.
    Really?

Well, it terms of hardware specs, I can name at least 10 hardware features in which it is behind one or more of its competitors (off the top of my head: Screen size, SD slot, oleophobic coating, storage space, screen resolution, battery life, plastic screen vs. glass, processor speed, no sound canceling microphone, camera quality).

Can you name THREE hardware specs where it exceeds its competitors?

If it's so clearly the case, you should be able to name way more, but let's start easy with that.
    Big red and there ****ty milf tv ads. Palm needs to step it up and hire someone good to make there OWN Palm tv ads.
    Live the Pre life.
    ^ouchhhh.
    Live the Pre life.
    Urgh, they just need to stop marketing the Pre as a chick phone and get some real ads out there
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You mean this?

you know thats funny because palm was a $3 stock in January of 09...

either way you cut it, palm is far from garbage. Palm and WebOS will both be relevant for a long time.
    Last edited by badjokes; 02/09/2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Why are you so negative? Are you not happy with your phone? Does Verizon's TV ads hurt your manhood? Would you like to take charge of marketing vs people who are more informed of the demographic and analysists with degrees that are trying to take advangtage of V day AND statistics that WE aren't aware of? Why don't YOU work for them in that field? If Palm is doomed and they go bankrupt, are you going to be bankrupt? Other phones have better hardware, you're not happy, why not leave? Are you just sad cause you're stuck in your contract and can't change your phone so you just come here to endless bit*h about everything?
    @UntidyGuy

Can you also post MOT's chart also so we can see the difference -- Thanks,
    The marketing campaign is deplorable. The lame commercial with the 60's "mom" holding the bulletin board with notepads on it and then they flash to Pre's multi-color synergy calendar -- I'm a Sprint Pre owner since launch and I had no clue what was happening in that commercial the first few times. They're really trying to target this thing to "moms"? What are they smoking? If so they're going about it wrong, not to mention most "moms" i know prefer the crappy freebie flip phones you get with a family plan.

Palm needs to stop screwing around, fire their advertising company, stop with the bad marketing companies and campaigns, and stop wasting time with lameness like trying to get Pre's into celebrities hands at awards shows. That's not how you sell phones in volume. People are so cynical and jaded against celebs these days nobody cares who's holding what. They need to buckle down and re-focus on marketing to demographics that have a likelihood of actually buying a Pre. And for godsake get a killer app or two to showcase.
    Last edited by odditory; 02/09/2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    You mean this?

i mean this

and anyway, which data on the chart says "palm won't sell their webos phones"?

of course rebuilt a company isn't easy, we aren't kid and nobody is expecting overnight success. You want to be shortsighted, thats fine, we enjoy the device palm made, thats fine too, or you just can't stand other people being happy?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    You mean this?

I've been pointing this out forever...Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.

I do want to see Palm succeed though, by innovating, not by imitating, although that does help too.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    More like this

PALM was just doing fine until RIMM came along, APPLE gave them killer blow.
    PALM stock was in the 1-5 dollar range in 2008.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts

Bla bla bla, some stupid chart that doesn't actually mean anything...
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    I've been pointing this out forever...Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.

I do want to see Palm succeed though, by innovating, not by imitating, although that does help too.
    PALM is not imitating anyone , unless you change the definition of imitation. BTW , if you owned any of their product you know that they were great innovators back in the 90s. They came up with that icon interface to begin with. Few folks here probably never owned a Treo or a PALM Pilot so they are missing the point that PALM was years ahead of competition back in the day.PALM slowly migrated from a regular PDA to a mobile data connected PDA (Palm VIIx). Then came the Treo , which was cool and way ahead of any smartphone. The Treo defined the term smart phone. But they sat on their laurels for too long.

I know its a bit of history , which means nothing to most, but coming back to present scenario , they came up with a multitasking OS combined with slick interface that every other platform is ready to copy.

Few folks in this forum have no clue how difficult it is to run a company with thousand employees to deliver two phones on multiple carriers. Not to mention about the regular updates.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Palm's size, employee, expense, etc, are 1/20 of apple, and these sales is more than enough to make profit for them.
    You just beat me to that, I would say its 1/30th.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Bla bla bla, some stupid chart that doesn't actually mean anything...
    Yup, but remember chart won't lie
    Hence PALM is doomed. Anyone want to bet ? I remember tsomeone posted that they be out of business in 2011, I will add one more year , 2012, and we all know what happens in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Which is why it smokes the Pre in sales. Because "many", if not more, care about the Pre form factor. Yeaaaah....

Love the multitasking, but the thing is slow in terms of scrolling and app launching - two pretty noticeable things when one is playing with it in the store. I mean, I have a Sprint Hero with a much slower processor, and it scrolls and launches apps quicker than the Pre. The iPhone 3GS and Droid smoke it in these areas. Just stroll into a Best Buy and see for yourself. Keep in mind that by this summer, Snapdragon HTC Android phones will be available at almost every carrier the Pre is.

Really?

Well, it terms of hardware specs, I can name at least 10 hardware features in which it is behind one or more of its competitors (off the top of my head: Screen size, SD slot, oleophobic coating, storage space, screen resolution, battery life, plastic screen vs. glass, processor speed, no sound canceling microphone, camera quality).

Can you name THREE hardware specs where it exceeds its competitors?

If it's so clearly the case, you should be able to name way more, but let's start easy with that.
    Well one area where I'm ahead is I'm not coming across as a condescending jerk.

Your challenge is cute. Try this one: Name one phone that offers a significantly better combination of hardware and software for $150.
    Man, I feel bad for all those suckers that spend all that time in school getting MBAs and Finance degrees when you can predict the success or failure of a company buy looking up a 6 month stock history.

C'mon people, there is so much more to the operational viability of a publicly traded company. This throwing up of stock prices and market share numbers is laughable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Man, I feel bad for all those suckers that spend all that time in school getting MBAs and Finance degrees when you can predict the success or failure of a company buy looking up a 6 month stock history.

C'mon people, there is so much more to the operational viability of a publicly traded company. This throwing up of stock prices and market share numbers is laughable.
    That.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Your kidding, right. I bet 99% of the people that walk into a Verizon wireless store today don't even know what flash is. Flash is far from a killer feature on a device with a 3.1 inch screen.
    Simple, don't talk about Flash, talk about Hulu, Flash games, etc. Show the same webpage on WebOS with Flash and iPhone without, let the user decide.

The big thing about Flash is online video. Steve is right, that HTML5 may make that less important, HTML5 is not here yet and even if it is ready and all browsers support it, there are thousands, if not millions of websites have to be changed to use HTML5. And between all the web browsers and websites, it is a wait game.

I simply don't see Flash going away.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast