Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm surprised that Palm is allowing Asurion (the guys who do the phone insurance for Sprint), to charge a deductible of $100 for a replacement phone. Mind you it's not even a new phone but a refurbished Pre!

I think it is totally yonkers that an insurance company is charging MORE than a brand new Pre (when you're a new customer, and a 2 year contract). Even after you have been paying your normal monthly fee of $7.00 already. Don't get me wrong I completely understand the idea of a deductible, but when it becomes exorbitant THEN I have a problem.

I had previously paid $50 when I had to replace my Pre the first time after I was having power button issues (which BTW the replacement was a refurbish, and a rather sloppy refurbish job). Today when the nice helpful lady from Asurion told me the price of the deductible had gone up to $100 I couldn't help but feel swindled. I was actually so shocked that I had to explain to her that I wasn't paying that and that I'll just deal with a cracked screen. At that point she reminded me that now I've only got 60 days to resolve the issue since I've just reported it.

I think the problem actually rests with the craftsmanship of the Pre. I hate to say it but I think unfortunately that it is the case. I love my Pre and I am constantly ranting and raving about it, it is truly the BEST device I have ever seen or owned. Yet to this day I haven't met anyone who hasn't had a complaint regarding the construction of the device. I'm guessing that because of this high number of faulty Pre's, Asurion has been forced to raise the price to either cover their expenses or just to fatten their pockets.

I personally am always babying my Pre, I haven't dropped it, and I never leave it in a unsafe area where it could be damaged. You could imagine my surprise when a crack started to develop from the edge of the battery door right into the screen. At first it was small but now it is growing faster and faster by the day. I've heard complaints about this before at a Pre website forum that I frequent, but I'm not sure if it is because of Palm original construction specs or due to the shoddy reconstruction of this refurbished phone that I received.

Anyway, back to the point. I'm angry and frustrated because I had my bank card out ready to pay the expected $50 deductible and to find out that it is TWICE as much from what I was expecting I think that's just plain %$#@ed. Has any of you been shocked to learn this? What are your thoughts on the matter?
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I was planning on getting the Total Equipment Coverage (Asurion + Extended Warranty) for the Pre+ cause some Pres are poorly built and I'm on 2yr contract.

After hearing your story.. I don't know if it's worth paying that extra $7 every month.

As for your issue, that's the first time I'm hearing it. Heard about Touchstone, LCD leaks, buttons/usb cover problems.
    Did you try getting it replaced by Palm? It should still be under the year warranty and they know about the screen cracking problem.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    Did you try getting it replaced by Palm? It should still be under the year warranty and they know about the screen cracking problem.
    Dang, I thought it was a 30 day warranty. At least that is what 1 Sprint Store Representative told me when I had to replace my first Pre.

Plus I wonder if that would be the case here because the phone I have now is a refurbished one that I had received from Asurion earlier.
    I don't think you can compare the Pre pricing after subsidy and a new contract with the insurance pricing. If my Pre needs to be replaced bc of a defect or problem it's replaced for free. If I drop it in my beer I pay $100 for a refurb instead of $550 without contract. Even after 24 months of paying $7 plus $100 it's cheaper than a Pre without contract.
    if you read the fine print for the insurance, which no one does now a days, it is $100 deductable for smartphones or pda. And this been on ever since. Now if feeling cheap and feel like this is a brave new world, and feel like you deserve to pay $50 for a replacement pre, then go hassle the next assurion rep till you do so. But the rules are $100 so don't expect much unless you cry like a baby to them, and they shut you up by letting it go for $50.

but it is mess up a new contract pre is $80 or so bucks, but hey it's $600 or so for uncontract customers. If you feel like you don't want to pay $100 for a refurb pre then go get a new on for $600. Also you can go get one on ebay for $150 or so, I read it in a thread 2 weeks ago. But you still stupid enough to pay $7 a month for some service ur not aware off. Hey but if my pre were to be stolen by a cry baby, I would gladly pay $100 to have a phone in my hands, or if a cry baby were to throw my pre in the water I would also pay $100.

and for me it's not bad I paid $300 in launch day for the pre. So I'm good with this insurance.
  7.    #7  
    What a sec... what do you mean it's replaced for free? how do you get that to happen? My first replacement was due to a defect with the power button and this one is also due to a defect. I have not banged up my Pre at all, if I did destroy it myself on accident I could start to understand.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Perhaps I am the minority... I lost my Pre - which I payed top dollar for, stood in line on release day... Contacted Asurion - Very professional... Received new Pre overnight in new packaging all accessories... I think they did a fantastic job... I'm sure the insurance will go down once new more expensive web OS devices hit the market.
  9.    #9  
    Acekilla I think you may be confused, I had previously paid $50 for the deductible and now it has gone up to $100. I think it is ridiculous especially because it is not due to my own mishandling of the device.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    ace......why don't you tell us how you really feel?! lol.
    I think it is totally yonkers that an insurance company is charging MORE than a brand new Pre (when you're a new customer, and a 2 year contract). Even after you have been paying your normal monthly fee of $7.00 already. Don't get me wrong I completely understand the idea of a deductible, but when it becomes exorbitant THEN I have a problem.
    And if you're replacing a damaged phone at this point, to get that pricing you have to cancel service, pay the ETF and start new service. How many people want to go through that?

I had previously paid $50 when I had to replace my Pre the first time
    Sorry, I call BS on this. Sprint changed to a tiered deductible setup ($50 for standard phones, $100 for smartphones) about a year ago, before the Pre was even available. And that's pretty much the standard for the cell phone industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by SammySam View Post
    I'm surprised that Palm is allowing Asurion (the guys who do the phone insurance for Sprint), to charge a deductible of $100 for a replacement phone. Mind you it's not even a new phone but a refurbished Pre!

I had previously paid $50 when I had to replace my Pre the first time after I was having power button issues (which BTW the replacement was a refurbish, and a rather sloppy refurbish job). Today when the nice helpful lady from Asurion told me the price of the deductible had gone up to $100 I couldn't help but feel swindled. I was actually so shocked that I had to explain to her that I wasn't paying that and that I'll just deal with a cracked screen. At that point she reminded me that now I've only got 60 days to resolve the issue since I've just reported it.

I think the problem actually rests with the craftsmanship of the Pre. I hate to say it but I think unfortunately that it is the case. I love my Pre and I am constantly ranting and raving about it, it is truly the BEST device I have ever seen or owned. Yet to this day I haven't met anyone who hasn't had a complaint regarding the construction of the device. I'm guessing that because of this high number of faulty Pre's, Asurion has been forced to raise the price to either cover their expenses or just to fatten their pockets.

I personally am always babying my Pre, I haven't dropped it, and I never leave it in a unsafe area where it could be damaged. You could imagine my surprise when a crack started to develop from the edge of the battery door right into the screen. At first it was small but now it is growing faster and faster by the day. I've heard complaints about this before at a Pre website forum that I frequent, but I'm not sure if it is because of Palm original construction specs or due to the shoddy reconstruction of this refurbished phone that I received.

Anyway, back to the point. I'm angry and frustrated because I had my bank card out ready to pay the expected $50 deductible and to find out that it is TWICE as much from what I was expecting I think that's just plain %$#@ed. Has any of you been shocked to learn this? What are your thoughts on the matter?
    Ok first you got ripped off! The Pre has a 1 yr warranty so if its a manufacturer defect assurion shouldnt even be called. take it into a Sprint Corporate store and they will replace it for free. DO NOT GO TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER!

If you drop it and crack it or drop it in your beer then its on you! deductible = 100.00 smart phone, 50.00 dumb phone.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

13.    #13  
    Yea I guess those Sprint Authorized Dealers are dumb as hell. Unfortunately there in no sprint store within a couple 100 miles of where I live. I wonder if I call them they can help me out. I'm not sure about this whole $100 smart phone deal, maybe they screwed up the first time because I explicitly remember paying $50 for it the first time. I was 2 days out of the "30 day warranty period" and I got it the day it came out.
    I chipped part of the screen on my Pre and Asurion sent me a brand new one for $100, not a refurb. New packaging, accessories and everything. I checked by opening the dialer, dialing ##786#, and looked at "RECONDSTATUS", which said no. Above that is "RECONDDATE", which is blank. I guess Asurion sends whatever they have in stock at the time, whether new or refurbished.
    No offence but the authorized dealer has been giving you bad advice! The warranty on all Sprint phones is 1 year, there is no 30 day warranty!

As far as electronics ive never seen a 30 day warranty, ive always had a minimum 90 day.

Sprint extends the manufacturers warranty to 1 yr on all devices because you are locked into a 2 yr contract.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Reconditioned does not mean bad, i am on my third Pre due to speaker phone issues and my latest is a refurb and is way better than my other new ones.

Refurbs are rebuilt using new parts, including new screen and sliders and housings. The only parts that are reused are the internals (circuitry and memory.

Follow the link below.

17.    #17  
    I've had many refurb phones, specifically the treo. They have always been great! This Pre referb I got the first time was a complete hunk of crap though. There were already noticeable areas of the screen where it didn't sit right in the casing the day the sprint guy handed it over to me! I said "what the hell this thing is beat" He informed me that it was a referb and thats just the way it is. Nothing he could do about it.

I'm glad you guys are helping me with all this info, sounds like the Mmm Wireless store in Santa Maria, CA is an untrustworthy source for help, information, and NOW credibility.
    Lots of misconceptions on this.
    • The deductible was changed from $50 to $100 for smartphones before the Pre came out. You got a break the first time around.
    • The warranty is 1 year, but having TEP makes the whole process easier (if you take it to a repair center). The 30 days is a 30 day period to return the device and cancel your contract.
    • They are not required to replace a Pre under warranty for a cracked screen, but they might - if you approach them respectfully at the repair center. (I had two Centros replaced for free under TEP with cracked screens, with no hassle at all).

I'd recommend you call Sprint, and ask them how to proceed. Again, politely tell them that you didn't drop the phone, and you think the damage was not negligence. They may be able to help you out. They can get pretty creative.
    stop crying. your complaining you can get a replacement pre (refurb or not) at the same price as a new customer but WITHOUT a contract extension??? really?? Usually insurance is there to cover something that is YOUR fault, water damage, dropped phone, lost phone. If your phone is failing because of manufacturer defect then blame the MANUFACTURER not the company offering voluntary insurance. you dont like it dont pay for it, and when you drop your phone you can ante up $200 for a used one (not a refurb) or hundreds more for a new one

asurion insurance is good enough, i paid the $100 when my tp1 crapped out (moisture damage) and they gave me a brand new tp2 cause they were out of stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by SammySam View Post
    What a sec... what do you mean it's replaced for free? how do you get that to happen? My first replacement was due to a defect with the power button and this one is also due to a defect. I have not banged up my Pre at all, if I did destroy it myself on accident I could start to understand.
    If you paid for the power button failure, then you are crazy! Just go to any Sprint Repair Center and they will replace it for free, only time you pay the $100, if your phone is ever lost/stolen or completely smashed! But small minor problems, like power button is stuck or the slider is loose, then they can replace it free of charge. NOW, I suggest you call customer service, complain to them about your issue and have then refund you or credit you your $50 bucks back! Seriously
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast