Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Squaretrade has Zero deductable and is cheap.
    Ive never filed a claim though.
    Dont blame me if they are a ripoff.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    If you did indeed payed Asurion only $50 for your first Pre then consider yourself lucky.

You can't compare the price of the deductible to the price of a new Pre under promotion unless you ARE eligible for the promotion.

Your Pre DOES come with a 1 year warranty that covers MANUFACTURER DEFECTS, everything else is covered by the insurance for the deductible. You may be able to convince Sprint that the crack was not due to negligence, but you'll have to find a corporate store (try calling them over the phone first).

Many of us can agree that the craftsmanship of the Pre has not been up to par with the competition; Many of us also have Pre's that have no problems whatsoever.

Yes Asurion provides refurbished devices, but that's not necessarily bad. My girlfriend just received her second Pre from Asurion (and she gladly paid $100 twice) and it is rock solid. No oreo and a good clicky feel to the buttons. She actually received her latest Pre a day before it was expected. And as an FYI Sprint customers are allowed 3 claims within 12 months, whereas Verizon customers are only allowed 2.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I just got a refurb from sprint free. I've had the phone since launch and my power button broke. The refurb is far better build quality. My slider is awesome now. I do not have insurance because I do believe its a rip off unless you destroy your phone quickly. $100 deductible + 7 bucks a month for 2 years = 268. You can buy a NEW palm pre for $200 on ebay.
    The insurance is only an option for lost or stolen, or past the 1 year warranty. With any defect have sprint/palm directly replace your phone. You may also find you get a new model instead of a refurbished. The warranty is 1 year from when you bought the phone, this also applies to any replacements you have.
    What am i missing? Today, after a terrible replacement experience with asurion ( faulty refurb, $100 ded.) i returned Pre to Sprint who at no charge gave me one that works. OKd by advanced tech rep due to bad memory issue.
    St farm quoted $21 annual addition to my personal articles rider ( NO deductible) vs $84 from asurion. I can simply go to a Sprint store where I may be sure the phone ( may even be new) and get replacement. Submit claim up to $600 for reimbursement.

The agent is trustworthy. I urges him to let all his clients know of this option. What am I missing?

Been paying asurion ripoff $84/yr for 2 phones over three years. Yikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by SammySam View Post
    Acekilla I think you may be confused, I had previously paid $50 for the deductible and now it has gone up to $100. I think it is ridiculous especially because it is not due to my own mishandling of the device.
    I am not sure how you previously paid a $50 deductible for the first Pre replacement.

1. Sounds like it was a defect and sprint should have replaced it for free under warranty. Note you would have had to talk to Sprint, not Assurion.

2. The rate change from $50 to $100 for smartphones changed on 4/19/2009. So it has been this process since well before the Pre came out. I would count yourself lucky it was only $50 the first time if you did an insurance claim.
    I love the fact that some people don't get the whole idea of insurance.. Thia ia no diff than home or car insurance. While they charge you hundreds per month in comparison to the thousands you initially paid than charge you hundreds and sometimes thousands to replace that which you spentt 10 times more on.
    this no diff here it's $7 per month plus a$100 deductable on a phone that if you had to replace would $600 . And if you can't grasp that last but .. It makes no diff what You paid ofor the phone with a ?ew or Upgraded contract.. Bc if the phone was lost stolen or damaged beyond repair you wouldn't be able to upgrade.. You wouldn't be able to start a new contract.... Maybe this is your first phone and you newver had an upgrade. Well if you don't believe the ACTUAL price of the phone is 600 just goto palms website and try buying one without a contract and you'll hopefully see that due to you skewed idea of the phones pricing (any cellphone not just the Awesome Pre) you've gotten yourself all upset.

o and one more thing phone insurance covers everything even volcanoes.. A guy tried to sell me volcano insurance once but I spent all the money I had the day before on handsome cream... Ah but I digress...

</end rant>
    couple more of misconcetptions.

Not all Asurion refurbs are actually refurbished. Some (I would say alot!) are basiclly polished up and sent back out. (this has happened to me with 3 refurbs and the last one has issues as well) One can check if anything was actually done by taking off the battery cover and checking the top right corner. There is a little screw there with a Palm sticker over the head. If this is still in place then it was never opened up. If your having hardware issues with your refurb chances are it wasnt opened up and parts checked correctly.

There are in fact cases where people send in perectly fine Pres for insurance replacements for something simple like the device needed to be reset after an application installation (ie need for speed) This is usually where you get your perfectly working Pres from.

OP

I'm sorry but yeah your original Pre and probably this one should be replaced without having to involve the insurance at all since it was a hardware issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsdfs View Post
    What am i missing? Today, after a terrible replacement experience with asurion ( faulty refurb, $100 ded.) i returned Pre to Sprint who at no charge gave me one that works. OKd by advanced tech rep due to bad memory issue.
    St farm quoted $21 annual addition to my personal articles rider ( NO deductible) vs $84 from asurion. I can simply go to a Sprint store where I may be sure the phone ( may even be new) and get replacement. Submit claim up to $600 for reimbursement.

The agent is trustworthy. I urges him to let all his clients know of this option. What am I missing?

Make sure you know what you're getting in to. What you may be missing is that, whether it's fair or not, Sprint handles those with TEP differently than those without.
    FWIW, my wife and I keep the insurance for the first year. After that, we're each eligible for an upgrade, and we drop it. If we lose the phone or have it stolen, we upgrade and get a new phone.
    I have worked with assurion with my previous phone the lg voyager and they were awesome. It was quick and easy and I had my new phone in 24 hours. The 100 dollar deductable is news to me and although I would rather pay 50 as I did before it makes sense. Everytime I had to use insurance it was my fault. You also have a 1 year warrenty after you get the phone from assurion. They sent me a voyager and the touch screen was messed up. I called them and they sent me a new one. Guess I will be extra careful wiyh my pre +
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    FWIW, my wife and I keep the insurance for the first year. After that, we're each eligible for an upgrade, and we drop it. If we lose the phone or have it stolen, we upgrade and get a new phone.
    Same thing I'll do...

I love the insurance. I can go out, get completely trashed, forget my phone at the bar, or drop it, or who knows what, and never worry about what happened... I will get a new (refurb) phone within 24hr... For $7 a month that is a deal... Seriously... it is like .23 a day...
    Insurance has been 100 since before the Pre came out(actually very close to the same time but definitely before), also we have all been sent memo's to use our best judgment when a phone comes in with a cracked screen and replace them as needed. if its obvious that the phone was abused (dents, dings, scratches all over) then they have to pay the deductible to get a replacement. if the phone is otherwise clean well taken care off I dont even bother checking them over beyond visual of the damage.

I guess after you receive a couple directly from the company that handles our service claims with screens already starting to spider you kinda understand that this is not done by the customers. i've pulled apart so many of the screens to try to figure out what might be causing it and so far my only thoughts are the hot/cold cycles being different on the LCD/TouchPanel and actual housing which is molded into 1 peice causing the heat stress.....which makes sense since they come to us in boxes sitting in fedex trucks on some hot and cold days. Why palm chose to go this route is beyond me.
    Wait, is this thread complaining about paying $100 for a deductible even though Asurion changed this over a year ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsdfs View Post

The difference is Asurion is for all practical purposes, a no questions asked policy. Pay your $100, they'll ship you a replacement phone the next day. But a personal articles policy has to go through an adjuster. With certain electronics, he may devalue your property to the point it costs you more to replace it. Plus you will be out the $600 (or whatever) while they're reviewing at your claim.

All things being equal, you're potentially covered the same monetarily, but depending on your situation, the added cost of the Asurion coverage is worth the convenience.
    Ive actualy switched out my daughters non-smart phone three times. All three were cracked screens. She didnt have insurance, but they still gave us the referb for $50.00. After the third one, they upgraded her for free. The insurance is good if you loose your phone, but Ive found there is no real value other than that. If you have a damaged phone, sprint will get you another one to keep your buisness.

Also, its better to start off on the phone or online chat with Sprint. I had several times, they just gave me a upgrade instead of dealing with the phone issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    Insurance has been 100 since before the Pre came out(actually very close to the same time but definitely before), also we have all been sent memo's to use our best judgment when a phone comes in with a cracked screen and replace them as needed. if its obvious that the phone was abused (dents, dings, scratches all over) then they have to pay the deductible to get a replacement. if the phone is otherwise clean well taken care off I dont even bother checking them over beyond visual of the damage...
    That explains a lot. Thanks for that info.
    I recently got mine replaced through Asurion. I had the usb crack that no sprint store or even sprint phone customer service would replace. Mine came in with a little oreo effect and after 2 weeks it got worse and i called asurion. Asurion will NOT take back a phone after 7 days, 7 day warranty and thats it. They said if anything happens after 7 days, the phone must have physical abuse. I think that is a little BS, since no where on the paper states 7 day warranty on the return instructions.
  19.    #39  
    I'm going to have to start by saying that I may... no, I HAVE misplaced my anger and frustration upon the wrong company. I knew it wasn't Sprint fault, and I hoped it wasn't Palms fault so I chose to bully up on the first company that tried to charge me $100 for something that I felt wasn't my fault.

The real company that I need to be aggravated by is Mmm Wireless in Santa Maria, CA a Sprint "authorized dealer". I guess becoming an "authorized dealer" doesn't mean you have to know anything about warranties, or Sprint policy, or insurance claims, or even a broad understanding of Sprints high level of customer service values. While those clowns fed me incorrect information for the past several months I was foolish enough to believe them. I was thinking "It's a Sprint store, they MUST know what's going on." Boy was I wrong.

Today when I called Sprint I was greeted by their complete lack of ineptitude. After explaining to them the troubles I have faced they saw where I was coming from and assisted me in solving my issue. The operator I spoke to understood that my local store was not only a hassle to deal with but completely uninformed to the correct way of providing business services. She quickly spoke to managers, and Asurion reps to get a new phone sent to me free of charge without having to go to the nearest actual sprint store (which is over 100 miles away).

Tomorrow I will receive my new Pre via UPS and be happy as a clam. I will not however go back to the Mmm Wireless "authorized dealer" for Sprint in my area, for it is their amateurish and unprofessional skills that got me in this mess to begin with.

I want to take this moment to formally apologize to Asurion for directing my anger towards that company and their service. Asurion does a good job, they have always been helpful whenever I have called, due to my own boorish ways I put a negative spotlight on a company and service that doesn't deserve it.

Mmm Wireless in Santa Maria, Ca can suck my balls however.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Ok first you got ripped off! The Pre has a 1 yr warranty so if its a manufacturer defect assurion shouldnt even be called. take it into a Sprint Corporate store and they will replace it for free. DO NOT GO TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER!

If you drop it and crack it or drop it in your beer then its on you! deductible = 100.00 smart phone, 50.00 dumb phone.
    Read my thread about why I left sprint and my pre.. The same reason it started cracking from the charger door and they said it was not a known issue then flagged my phone so it would not be replaced... They said that only if the cracking started from the screen you can get it replaced through warrenty... *** KINDA BS IS THAT!! So i left.. Until palm can make a steardy reliable phone Im gonna have to stay away if sprint wont replace them.. The refurb they sent to my girl was horrible as well.. Oreo was just horrible!! I thought it was gonna fall apart..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast