1.    #1  
    Can a bad ESN Pre be used as a WiFi Device?

Froget about a phone. Can a CDMA, bad ESN, Palm Pre work as a WiFi PDA device only in my home?

Thanks.
    Yes, and it functions great.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_buchanan View Post
    You might want to understand why the ESN is bad.
    • If the device has been reported lost or stolen, but not returned to it's rightful owner, then you might run a risk of "receiving stolen goods".
    • If the ESN is bad due to non-payment of a bill or something similar, then as long as the device itself was paid for, I see absolutely nothing preventing you from using it as a wifi device without the phone features through the carrier.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    maybe it was reported stolen by him and then found later? Idk but i have one from that scenerio, i was going to bypass the activation, but i thought you need the msl to do so with sprint. so how do i get the msl on a phone thats not activated and with a bad esn?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    maybe it was reported stolen by him and then found later? Idk but i have one from that scenerio, i was going to bypass the activation, but i thought you need the msl to do so with sprint. so how do i get the msl on a phone thats not activated and with a bad esn?
    If you call Sprint and explain that you found the lost one, but lost the found one, they'll likely just fix the bad ESN.
    really? I would assume not as the phone would belong to asurion would it not?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I had it happen with a Treo 600, and that was a long time ago. I think it required being on hold for a substantial amount of time while someone got it cleared, but it worked for me once. They might have had to call the insurance carrier to get the OK. Maybe I just got lucky. The phone may have been worth less than the $100 deductible I was out by the time I found it. I'm pretty sure though I've each of the 600's have been activated at least once since that time.
    I have a similar question. I have a bad esn and no longer have sprint.
    I rebooted the phone and now can't get passed the sign in screen because I can't turn on the wifi.
    any ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoo456 View Post
    I rebooted the phone and now can't get passed the sign in screen because I can't turn on the wifi.
    any ideas
    You can't get past the sign on screen because you don't have data access through a carrier (in this case Sprint). You cannot activate or sign into/create a Palm Profile via wifi.

Why is the ESN bad? That normally only happens when a device is reported stolen or whomever had the device still owes money against their service agreement.

I know the other posts are old but under the terms and conditions of the TEP with Asurion, if you file a claim for a lost phone and then later find that phone, you are supposed to contact them and send it in. Failure to do so constitutes insurance fraud and can be prosecuted.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    related question about ESN:

I pulled a sprint 3G radio from a dead laptop. It has an ESN number on it, and iit is clean. Is that number useful to anyone, like being used on a phone that has a bad ESN?

or should I just theough it away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    related question about ESN:

I pulled a sprint 3G radio from a dead laptop. It has an ESN number on it, and iit is clean. Is that number useful to anyone, like being used on a phone that has a bad ESN?

or should I just theough it away?
    Toss it, using a ESN on another radio other than its original is illegal. However, you can sell the whole radio stating it came out of whatever notebook just fine.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_buchanan View Post

Froget about a phone. Can a CDMA, bad ESN, Palm Pre work as a WiFi PDA device only in my home?

Thanks.
    You sure can but do get use to the activation bypass tool from Palm whenever you do wipe the phone out and then install the show first use patch.

However like some said there, get to the bottom why the ESN is bad, sux being suckered into stolen goods.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoo456 View Post
    any ideas
    You can use Metadoctor on the phone to bypass the activation and first-use app which will allow you to set up wifi, then setup a Palm Profile.

Check out the Metadoctor thread in the webOS Internals forum (or look for some of my recent posts, as I just completed this though the phone I purchased off of ebay should have good ESN; really didn't matter for my purpose/need)
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford