1.    #1  
    Will there ever be a EQ app, or patch for music. I don't like my pre's sound quality.
    i would love to see one!
    garbage in, garbage out for the most part and an EQ won't change the nature of the phone's DAC. there's really only so much you'd be able to "fix" with an EQ.
    Actually the Pre's DAC is a very accurate reproduction. Much more accurate than Apples "pumped up bass" DAC. In order to fully appreciate the accuracy you need to download a high bit rate test mp3, and listen with some quality earphones such as Etymotic Research ER4's or like.

The main reason to use an EQ would be to compensate for the short comings of low quality earphones or speakers. Or to adjust poorly encoded Mp3's. If you have good quality MP3's and good earphones there is really no need for a EQ on the Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Actually the Pre's DAC is a very accurate reproduction. Much more accurate than Apples "pumped up bass" DAC. In order to fully appreciate the accuracy you need to download a high bit rate test mp3, and listen with some quality earphones such as Etymotic Research ER4's or like.

The main reason to use an EQ would be to compensate for the short comings of low quality earphones or speakers. Or to adjust poorly encoded Mp3's. If you have good quality MP3's and good earphones there is really no need for a EQ on the Pre.
    which DAC is the Pre using?

the iPhone's DAC, once separated from Apple's sound profiles, is highly regarded.

in order to fully appreciate accuracy, you need to forget the format MP3.
    some people just feel good having some control over the way their music sounds. I want one bad, and would be fine with something similar to an ipod. Doesn't have to be that many settings. I don't think it will happen, there simply aren't that many people that even know what an eq is, and many that won't use it. Some people can't tell the diffrence between low quality audio, and higher quality audio. I will use my ipod touch until we get an EQ for the Pre. (if we ever do :-(
    After three Treos, using the same bluetooth Plantronic over the ear 'phones I used on my last Treo, I don't have a need for an EQ on the Pre. Sounds fine just the way it is. But yes, quality music files are important, just like they are on any music device. Crappy encode, crappy sound. And you can't go by bitrate, I have a bunch of 256kbs tracks from Amazon, and through my own rips, that have a better sound quality than many of my 320kbs rips.

Try some better 'phones. If you're using the ones that came with the Pre, yeah......those are pretty bad. Best DAC in the world isn't gonna help if you're pushing it through headphones with the sound quality of swiss cheese.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    In order to fully appreciate the accuracy you need to download a high bit rate test mp3, and listen with some quality earphones such as Etymotic Research ER4's or like.
    I agree, My pre+ sounds great with my etymotic ER4p's.....although I am tempted to try stereo bluetooth.

Matt
    This is what I have.

Got them a year or so ago, on clearance at Newegg, if I remember right. Great cans, was pleasantly surprised and how good they sound.
    The bass is weak on the Pre's headphone output. Luckily I use a bluetooth headset now so it's no longer an issue (headset has its own DAC) but I agree that the Pre's DAC is lacking.

An equalizer might help a bit here.
    I just got my Pixi Plus 10 days ago. I was shocked at how anemic the sound quality is compared to my wife's HTC Eris running Pandora through my car stereo aux input. I hope we get at least a 5 band EQ sometime soon.
    I know people don't like to hear this, but with digital audio, an EQ is not the way to go. As other have pointed out, the pre is perfectly capable of producing good sound. Encoding your audio properly will make FAR more difference. If you have really great digital media, it's going to sound great without the need to 'tweak' it on the way to your headphones.

Here's a few tips on encoding your audio:

1. Encode at the right bitrate. That doesn't always mean recording at a high bitrate. If you're listening to your music through $10 earbuds, there's no point in ever going over 128, and 64 is probably good enough. If you're going to be using a set of Bose noise canceling over the ear headphones, you should encode at the highest bitrate you can.

2. Encode your own audio from the start. Buy a CD and rip it to uncompressed wav files, then encode it for your Pre. No more bittorrent, no more itunes, no more amazon mp3 store.

3. Don't use windows media player or itunes for ripping and encoding music from your CDs. There are many options out there which can give you far more control over your audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I know people don't like to hear this, but with digital audio, an EQ is not the way to go. As other have pointed out, the pre is perfectly capable of producing good sound. Encoding your audio properly will make FAR more difference. If you have really great digital media, it's going to sound great without the need to 'tweak' it on the way to your headphones.

Here's a few tips on encoding your audio:

1. Encode at the right bitrate. That doesn't always mean recording at a high bitrate. If you're listening to your music through $10 earbuds, there's no point in ever going over 128, and 64 is probably good enough. If you're going to be using a set of Bose noise canceling over the ear headphones, you should encode at the highest bitrate you can.

2. Encode your own audio from the start. Buy a CD and rip it to uncompressed wav files, then encode it for your Pre. No more bittorrent, no more itunes, no more amazon mp3 store.

3. Don't use windows media player or itunes for ripping and encoding music from your CDs. There are many options out there which can give you far more control over your audio.
    Good info.

Regarding #3, which software would you recommend for ripping/encoding?
    You can mess with the pulseaudio settings to adjust quality as well. I've had mixed results with this trying to get things to sound better and to also have event sounds not lag the alerts.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    All of this is entirely moot. My iPod Nano sounds a lot better than the Pre playing the same file through the same headphones. It either has a better headphone amp, better eq or a better decoder. The bass is nice and strong and there's just a feeling of fidelity that the Pre doesn't have.

I know it's taboo to bash any aspect of the Pre on this forum, but that's just my experience. It's really the *only* complaint I have about the Pre right now; the fact that I mostly listen to music on my Nano negates the issue for me, for the most part, unless I want to listen to Pandora.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    You can mess with the pulseaudio settings to adjust quality as well. I've had mixed results with this trying to get things to sound better and to also have event sounds not lag the alerts.
    Do you know where I can learn about adjusting the pulseaudio settings? I looked at webos internals, but could not find much.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Good info.

Regarding #3, which software would you recommend for ripping/encoding?
    EAC, Foobar, MediaMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    EAC, Foobar, MediaMonkey
    +1 for MediaMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    Do you know where I can learn about adjusting the pulseaudio settings? I looked at webos internals, but could not find much.

Thanks!
    Get shell access to the phone, then it's just linux underneath. Don't hurt yourself :-) Seriously, some of the resample methods will use enough cpu to grind your phone to a halt.

The best way to learn is to have another linux box somewhere, then read the manuals on pulse. These things come in handy on the phone itself:

Code:
    pulseaudio --dump-resample-methods
    pulseaudio --dump-conf
    pulseaudio --dump-modules
    Settings are stored in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Reload with:

Code:
    initctl stop pulseaudio && initctl start pulseaudio