Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I am thinking of buying a german qwertz pre, but since I live in Egypt the app catalog and full support isn't there yet, can anyone confirm that the app catalog is working in non official countries ?
    note: Gsmarena review stated that they didn't have access to the app catalog. Palm Pre review: A pebble in your hand - GSMArena.com
    There seems to be varying results on the app catalog in countries where Palm is not selling the Pre. It seems to depend on varying circumstances when creating the Palm profile.

I have a suspicion that webos sends a SIM id or phone number or a carrier id or something to do with your SIM to palm when you create the profile and that is then used to filter apps. Of course I could be wrong, but thats the feeling I get.

Don't count on having access to the app catalog, like, ever... :-(

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I guess iphone 3gs it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
    I guess iphone 3gs it is!
    Man, Palm really blew it on this one...

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I can't see why we can't have a gsm unlocked pre or pixi under 500$????
    the nexus one is sold for 529$ with a snapdragon and 3.7 oled screen
    frause I think yr right with the phone number theory. I had my Profile created in Germany with a o2 card and I do have access to the GSM Catalog and if i go to Palms website to se my profile it lists a number that isn't mine
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I might be stupid but why does a company limit potential sales by blocking most of the world from the catalog?

By the time Palm is ready with the next exclusive carrier launch the Palm Pre will be old news. Instead of getting the most out of the product during its life cycle they limit sales to just a few markets.
    Last edited by Andreas; 02/08/2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I might be stupid but why does a company limit potential sales by blocking most of the world from the catalog?

By the time Palm is ready with the next exclusive carrier launch the Palm Pre will be old news. Instead of getting the most out of the product during its life cycle they limit sales to just a few markets.
    I echo your sentiment and frustration. This is getting ridiculous.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Hopefully developers are putting the pressure on too, as this is costing them money in lost sales.