1.    #1  
    I have been on the phone with sprint for hours on end the past week or so (mainly on hold). I bought my first Palm Pre in November 2009 and about 1 week later the touch screen started freezing. I took it into the store which I bought it and they quickly opened a new box and gave me a new phone. That phone worked properly for about 3 weeks when it started oreo'ing and the power button was wobbly. I took that one into the same Sprint store/repair center and they said that they could order me a refurb. I came back to the store the following Monday and picked up my refurb. It looked pretty good, but the next day it had oreo to the max! I took it back to the store and they said the same old thing, "All pre's are like that." I told them that their floor model was not like that and that I have friends/relatives that have Pres that are not like that. They said they would do me a favor and order another one, but could not guaranty that the slider would be any better. I agreed, hoping to get a better unit, which in my opinion I deserved after spending the amount that I did on the phone. Again, I came back to the store to pick up my refurb. Once they brought it out I inspected it and noticed a significant oreo effect. I told them I did not want this unit and needed another one without this issue. I talked to the tech and the store manager and they refused to order me any more phones. They told me to try another service center. The store manager told me that it was a cosmetic issue. I told him that it affects the use of the power button, which is needed to wake up the phone! He just shook his head and said he could not help me. I took his business card and called customer service. I complained about his customer service and they gladly said they would ship me a new phone overnight. I asked if they were going to send me a refurb or a new phone. The rep said that she would check the warehouse. She came back on the phone and said that it would be a new phone. I was ecstatic. I was sick of the refurbs I was getting and glad to start fresh.

The phone showed up on my doorstep the very next day. I opened up the box at my desk ready to install preware etc. on my new phone, but come to find out it is another refurb! And it has a damn oreo! Now, I know that there can be some play in the slider, but the oreo that I was experiencing on these phones was unacceptable. I take very good care of my phones and I do not want a unit that has this issue.

So I immediately call up sprint. I have to tell the person on the other end my cell number, my name, my pin code, and my issue. I think I have told approximately 25 people these things over and over. Now, I just tell the rep to look at the notes on my account. I know they are asking the first three questions for security, so that does not bother me, but telling them my issue over and over is really frustrating. It is especially frustrating when you tell the first rep your issue and then they transfer you to someone else and have to tell them your story all over again. So I get on the phone with the right person after about 3 transfers and they tell me that they apologize for the issue with my replacement phone, but because I have not sent my other phone back and they just shipped this phone out, they cannot process another replacement. At this point I am almost ready to throw the phone against the wall. I talk to retentions, tech support, customer care, you name it. I can remember at least twice where I was on hold for more than an hour and the phone call just dropped. That is the worst feeling.

So after a few days of trying to get to the right person I talk to a person who actually looks at the problems that I have been having. She looks over my account and tells me that there was no way that anyone would be able to help me because I had 3 exchanges within the past 6 months. She said it wasn’t their fault it was the system that wouldn’t allow it. Even if they put a ticket in the system it would immediately be closed because of my 3 exchanges. Then she said something that I was waiting for. “I am going to fill out a form here because you have had multiple exchanges on this phone and we will send you a brand new phone overnight.” She said that I would have to pay $2-3 for taxes, but it would be a new unit and I would not even have to send my other phone in. This was on a Wednesday night so she said that I might not get the phone until Friday. I was very happy with that scenario.

She also said that I should receive a confirmation be email or a phone call within 24 hours. After 24 hours of not receiving any contact from Sprint, I made a call into customer care. Again, I was on the phone for approximately 2 hours on this call (mainly on hold). After giving all of my security information and telling each rep that I was transferred to my story, I was sent to advanced tech support. By the way, each person that I talked to said that they did not see any order placed on my account. I was pretty aggravated by now, as you can imagine, but I am a pretty patient and understanding guy, so I just went with the flow. I know that it can be tough to manage all of the call centers and all of the reps in each of those centers to follow standard procedures, but I was getting upset, and that is pretty hard to do.

I finally, got on the phone with an advanced tech and he basically said that he did not see anything in the databases, that he had access to, in regards to a new phone order. I told him that I had the employee number of the person that told me she was ordering a new phone (I got her number to call and give her kudos to sprint customer care ironically), but it was on my desk at work. The advanced tech told me to try calling back with that number the following day to find out what department she worked in and see if the order had actually been placed. I couldn’t do anything further at that point, but the advanced tech said that he would credit my account $25 for all of the waiting and problems I was having (not a lot, but even that made me feel a little better about being on hold for 2 hours).

It was now Friday morning, I should have been waiting to get my new phone via UPS today, but I still hadn’t received any contact from Sprint regarding the order. Then my Pre notified me of a new email. It was a confirmation of my order being shipped. I opened the email and it said that my order had been shipped and that I should receive my unit on the following Monday. Then to my dismay, it said that I owe $67.11 for taxes, fees, and shipping on my new unit! Ugh. Now I have to call Sprint again to get a credit for those fees on my account. I am going to be really upset if the unit I get is a damn refurb or has some other defect! I should get my new phone today, I will keep you posted.
    (thud) oops I fell asleep reading this.

It reallly does sound like you are frustrating but on any slide phone there will be some oreo effect. It's normal. Secondly what is wrong with a refurbished if it is working? Sorry I don't understand that.
    wow that was one big block of text anyone care to summarize for us lazier folks
    ....original pre screen froze - replaced; didn't like oreo effect and said that on/of button had issues - replaced; didn't like oreo effect - replaced; local Sprint store won't replace any more; many hours on phone; got a phone coming but gonna cost shipping and taxes; phone not here.
    ok well that helped well palm shipped mine free no idea why theyre charging for yours
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I don't know man ... I had the oreo effect and a spongy power button since day 1 with my Pre ... but to me it's really not anything I needed to make an issue out of. I dealt with it cause the WebOS experience outweighed those 2 small issues.

I can see your fustration but if the oreo effect was the only thing wrong, then I guess to each their own ...
    If you've had this many troubles that's called " Massive Failure". 3hey should replace with any other phone.
    Yeah thats why I had to break down and get a iphone... I loved my pre but sprint did not want to replace mine event though it started cracking on its own... I probably will go back to the pre when a new one comes out with better build quality cuz it sucks to rely on sprint!! My girl just got her replacement and it has a really bad oreo... Not just a lil wiggle but a bad one!!!..
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Sprint keeps track of the trouble makers and doesn't give them the good quality phones because they know they like to change from phone to phone so they give you refurbs. Glad my pre is still the way it was when I got it out the box back in October.
    The unfortunate thing? That Sprint is not the only company to do this - they all do now. There's really no alternative and it sucks. I wish we could make them go through the same thing so they could see how much it sucks (especially the executives who go with these cheap customer service choices).
    I would imagin the OP wasn't really sharing how he was to sprint.

No offense, but I'm in the IT field and I run into people that think they can make someone's life impossible just to please themselves. At the end, they'll screw you back.

I have had 5 Pre's total replaced. First day launch phone, 2 furbs, and 2 more new ones.

Summary, 2 refurbs, 3 New.

I've always expressed great need for the fix and great interest/love for the phone, and more importantly, patience...

2 Techs once told me, that if I would have came in like previous *** holes, they would of just shipped me a crap refurb in 3-5 days.

For me, I was always able to walk out with the phone the same half-hour.

Thank you Sprint!

And Screw you "Customers"! (no offense)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    I would imagin the OP wasn't really sharing how he was to sprint.

No offense, but I'm in the IT field and I run into people that think they can make someone's life impossible just to please themselves. At the end, they'll screw you back.

I have had 5 Pre's total replaced. First day launch phone, 2 furbs, and 2 more new ones.

Summary, 2 refurbs, 3 New.

I've always expressed great need for the fix and great interest/love for the phone, and more importantly, patience...

2 Techs once told me, that if I would have came in like previous *** holes, they would of just shipped me a crap refurb in 3-5 days.

For me, I was always able to walk out with the phone the same half-hour.

Thank you Sprint!

And Screw you "Customers"! (no offense)
    You are assuming a lot about the OP's interactions but that aside, the fact that you had to go through FIVE phones to get a working one is unacceptable. Especially since this is very common and not out of the ordinary. I had to go through 3 phones myself and the current one I have still has some slight oreo effect. This is ridiculous and reflects very poorly on Palm.
    I'm still on my first.. You all must be hard on your phones.. People that neglect and abuse their pres should be thankfull they offer you a refurb. Imho
  14.    #14  
    Well, I got my NEW phone via UPS. It was a whole new package with all the accessories that came with the first pre. I talked with Sprint yesterday and they told me that the $67 charge was credited to my account. The phone came out of the box with a slight wiggle, but totally acceptable. The power button however seems very difficult to depress consistently. Going to search the forums for a solution to that because I am happy with this phone so far after one day.

BTW I was very curteous to everyone at Sprint except for the tech and store manager at the service center. And that was only after they were rude to me. Otherwise I was very patient and pleasant to everyone on the phone with Sprint.
  15.    #15  
    Searched the forums and wouldn't you know it. I found the solution and in about 5 minutes my power button is fixed. A little piece of paper is all it took. Thank you to those who post answers and solutions in these forums and screw those who have nothing good to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    You are assuming a lot about the OP's interactions but that aside, the fact that you had to go through FIVE phones to get a working one is unacceptable. Especially since this is very common and not out of the ordinary. I had to go through 3 phones myself and the current one I have still has some slight oreo effect. This is ridiculous and reflects very poorly on Palm.
    Yah, we can only assume, as everyone in their own eyes are "perfect" and will never state publicly otherwise. That aside, I agree, Palm got some serious crap happening in their factories regarding QA. But my main point is my personal experience with Sprint as never giving me a problem with an issue.

As for OP, that is great you were nice, up to a point, understandably when they got "rude", but working with people that always got that "I'm paying for something that should work PERFECTLY" mentality, customers are always looking for something the poor guy said to hang him on his/her words.
    Could this have triggered his/her rudeness (defense?) maybe....we'll never know.

Till then, I hope you get the most of your phone like the rest of us here, and when the next Palm phone comes one, we jump (cautiously) quick.

Sorry if anything read badly, I’m just an IT consultant that is waiting for the right customer to kick
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I'm still on my first.. You all must be hard on your phones.. People that neglect and abuse their pres should be thankfull they offer you a refurb. Imho
    Thats not always the case u should see any of my phones they are all protected with cases and screenprotectors etc because I like to switch phones often and when I switch I sale the old one... I thought it was people being hard on there phones as well but then I took off my case to see what everybody was complaining about and taaaadaaah there was the infamous crack going toward my screen.. If u have a case u may wanna check ur phone as well..
    my first pre got stuck in headset mode....they sent me a replacement with oreo effect, crappy powe button and semi blown speaker....but I still haven't replaced it because it will be a headache and I plan on getting the new pre in June or July........or so I hope.
    My pre's touchscreen went dead after 8 months of use. I took it back to Sprint store, fully expecting to pay for repair or replacement, but they checked it out and deemed it broken and got me a brand new pre (better than the one I had since it was tighter and very little oreo effect), no questions asked and no money out of my pocket. I don't know, Sprint has been really good to me over the years. I've been with them for about 9 years.