1.    #1  
    Ok, here's a new one. Started about 2 weeks ago. Once every day or two when I close the slider the phone seems to shut down. The screen seems to pixelate during the shutdown then goes black. If you press and hold the power button it turns back on but never reaches the booting state where the Palm logo does it's flash in and out thing. Have to remove the battery for 10 seconds and put it back. Then it comes back up just fine. There is nothing I can see that is a common theme to when I was doing aside from either texting or e-mailing since those are the most common items I use the keyboard for.

Anyone with ideas please share. Most irritating as it seems to do this at the most inconvenient times possible.
    similar problem...NEED HELP! it's brand new...and I got the palm pre plus
    This is a well-known issue, especially in early Sprint Pre's that is related to the fact that the battery isn't fitting exactly right. One fix is to simply put a piece of paper between the battery and the back, which worked for some. Sprint actually changed the batteries and gave free replacements to those who had this problem. Do a search and you'll find everything about this problem, including pictures of the different batteries.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    This is a well-known issue, especially in early Sprint Pre's that is related to the fact that the battery isn't fitting exactly right. One fix is to simply put a piece of paper between the battery and the back, which worked for some. Sprint actually changed the batteries and gave free replacements to those who had this problem. Do a search and you'll find everything about this problem, including pictures of the different batteries.
    +1

Was just about to post this. The reason why the battery comes into play when you close the slider, is that the phone shakes, moving the battery that little amount to lose connection.
  5.    #5  
    Interesting... very weird that I only recently started having this happen. Have had my Pre since August of 09. Thanks for the tip though. I did the paper trick and oddly enough the back feels more solid now. I guess time will tell for sure.
    My first Pre didnt do this until two months ago. Wear will introduce this issue over time. I wonder if my replacement Pre will do it anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ok so i'm having the same issue i had the battery replaced by sprint already.
    They replaced my battery the first time (as they did with my wife's) and it didnt resolve the solution, so they had to order me a replacement Pre.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    I had the same problem....i took the batery out chacked and cleaned all contact points and re-seated the battery "firmly" and no issues since.
    If all else fails, slip in the piece of paper. Yea...it's kinda lame but hey, once you do it, no problems moving forward.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...se-slider.html i called to this palm number and since then my phone work perfectly!
    Quote Originally Posted by pawmbi View Post
    I use to be able to send pictures to my phone and download and open them...but lately I'm getting an error messagy that says "No application to open this file"..and the files are just pictures..jpeg.

Any ideas? I completely doctored my phone hoping to fix it but didn't work. The only thing I can think of is mytether which I going to delete today.
    nop is any of those , the palm pre only can save and open png format since the last updates , jpeg was supported before !
    Do not attempt a self fix, it's a battery defect, go to sprint and get a replacement battery
    I just had this issue with the Pre+ and Verizon suggested I get a new one. No problems so far
    I had this same issue this weekend and spoke with someone at palm who said to simply have the phone replaced. I even mentioned the fact that i read about it being a battery issue and he firmly stated that it was a hardware issue and to have the phone replaced. I guess next time this happens i will take to sprint.
    mine started doing this after sprint did a hard reset on it ... never before had it done it, i have the same battery, and now .. close slider and phone dies instantly, about 30% of the time ... Ive started to notice lately that if my thumb happens to be on the left edge middle, touching the screen, is when it happens ... Im on vacation but plan on cking with the store when i get back!
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ok so i was having the problem of my pre shutting when the slider closed i had the bat changed and it was still doing it so i took it to sprint and heres what the problem is there is a rocker clip where the bat goes and it had to be replaced took about an hr but that was because they were really busy.since having it replaced i have had no problems at all so if your still having this problem take it to sprint and see if thats whats wrong with it.
    It is a known issue with the phone. Bring it into your repair center and we will install some battery bumpers.
    In the meantime, if you can't make it to a repair center, squeeze a folded post-it note in between the top of where the battery meets the phone on the right hand side (it should be obvious that there's a larger gap on the bottom right side of the battery) and that should prevent it from powercycling when sliding or bumping.
    I was too lazy to go in, just stuck a small piece of foam between the battery and the cover, worked fine for months. No I am using a Mugen 1400 and all is really good now.