Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My phone was orginally taken into the Sprint store on Tuesday of last week bc of an earpiece problem. They ordered a refurb and told me to come back on Friday to pick it up.

So I went into the sprint store on Friday and told them about how the speaker on the earpiece of my phone stopped working ealier in the week and how my phone had random shut offs at times and it took upwards of an hour to get the phone to turn back on. I told them how this could be a safety issue bc whenever the phone would turn back on it would have 60+%, so clearly the phone had enough battery it just wouldnt turn on. Very dangerous. So the guy who was helping me says I'm sorry we have to give you a refurbished phone, even though I tell him theres gonna be something wrong bc my mom and sister each went through 3 refurbs bc they all had isolated problems before they got a new one. So he brings me out a refurbished one and the phone won't pick up the sprint network. He says just wait a few minutes until it does. I stand around and wait about 15 minutes, and finally after him turning the phone off and on a few times it picks up the network. As I'm entering my information to log in to my profile, the phone shuts off. We can't get it to turn back on and I say to him, see, this is why I don't want a refurb phone, its dead before I walked out of the store (and yes, it had plenty of battery bc the first battery it came with was dead and so he put his personal battery in it and he said it had 100%). So he says let me see if I have another refurb phone in the back and if that one fails I'll get you a new one. So a few minutes later he comes back out with a brand new phone and he activates it and gives it to me. I walk out and when I get home start to type on it and notice the spacebar dosen't work. Sometimes it would make a space on the screen, sometimes not. Also, it didn't click or move when you pushed it like the other keys.

Call Palm to get my phone numbers back on the phone and they make me do a partial erase 3 times over the course of 2.5 hours Saturday afternoon. Sigh, yet another struggle with the phone.

Try and deal with the keyboard but can't so call back on Sunday and the guy who helped me on Friday tells me if we do a partial erase of the phone it should fix it. I say, thats ********, bc its a hardware issue, not a software issue. Not to mention that Palm had me do 3 partial erases the day prior and the key is still stuck. So I go in there and he trys to tell me the key is fine. I say take out your phone and push your spacebar does it feel like mine? He says, no I'll be right back. Comes back out with a new phone and activates it. As its booting up the phone flashes reds, blues, greens...any color you can imagine. Then the phone shuts off. Dead. I tell him what happens and he says he'll fix it. Works on it for 5 minutes hands it back to me and says here its fine now. I take it from him and close the slider and red, blue, green...same thing all over again. I hand it to him and he says I'll be right back. Comes back 15 minutes later and says we could not replicate the problem in the back so we can't give you another phone. I said replicate it, you just saw it happen, twice within 5 minutes of the phone being opened and activated. He says to talk to sorry, you'll have to talk to our store manager tomorrow. I have to leave with another phone with problems and see what happens today, ugh.
  2.    #2  
    So now the manager is saying they can't do anything unless they replicate the problem. Wow, just wow. I can't believe this. I don't understand when the employee who was working on my phone saw it happen twice why they need to replicate it in the store. I don't know what to do bc I don't want to put all my patches and phone numbers back on the phone, it happen again and then have to deal with this all over. Does anyone know what it means when the screen flashes a bunch of wavy lines of color and then turns off? Video card going bad? Any advice?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I feel for you. I had to go through 4 refurbs recently to get a decent one back. Most were for slider issues (not closing all the way, like the spring was broke). One was for the speakerphone not working. I mean cmon Sprint/Palm. Who the **** is doing your quality control on refurbs. A monkey?

This is a serious problem with the Pre right now. I am deathly afraid to go through the refurb process again. Lucky for me, I went through this in January so I could threaten to leave Sprint free of charge. At least I had some leverage.

the best way to deal with this is to call Sprint, that way you arent going in to the store each time. Just dial *2, then option 1, then 5, then 6. That is the retentions department. Tell them you are going to cancel if you cant get a replacement phone. Be nice to the person...its not their fault that someone in the refurb section is sending out crappy phones. And they will help you more if you are nice. Explain that you have a bad refurb. Give them a diff reason that screen flashes colors tho...Say something is broken on it (like the speakerphone). They will send you a replacement in the mail, with a return shipping pouch.

It does suck to have to deal with this BS, but its the way it is right now. Good luck.

EDIT:::I tried each time to get them to send me a new phone instead of a refurb and they falt-out wont do it....at least for me they wouldn't
    WOW! I too feel for you. My ear speaker went out and would ONLY work if I had the slider open and put presure on the top of the mirror behind the speaker. I lived with that for about a week. Went to the Sprint store a few days ago and yes they gave me a referb. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. It has no "oreo" and works perfect. Knock on wood. I wish you luck in your pursuit of happiness. It is a shame they can't get the quality control in order. Refurbs of any product most often are better than a new one. Strange..Good Luck.

Hope you got the names of the people you spoke to at the store. Sprint may like to know about it.
    well sounds like youve had a bad run with the refurb refurbs are mostly of better quality than new because they are checked out very thoroughly
    Dang! That sounds like a similar experience I had with my 600 back in the day! Palm just needs to come out with the Pre2 and upgrade us existing Pre customers for our dealings with the crappy hardware!

I hope your situation gets resolved satisfactory!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I feel for you. I had to go through 4 refurbs recently to get a decent one back. Most were for slider issues (not closing all the way, like the spring was broke). One was for the speakerphone not working. I mean cmon Sprint/Palm. Who the **** is doing your quality control on refurbs. A monkey?

This is a serious problem with the Pre right now. I am deathly afraid to go through the refurb process again. Lucky for me, I went through this in January so I could threaten to leave Sprint free of charge. At least I had some leverage.

the best way to deal with this is to call Sprint, that way you arent going in to the store each time. Just dial *2, then option 1, then 5, then 6. That is the retentions department. Tell them you are going to cancel if you cant get a replacement phone. Be nice to the person...its not their fault that someone in the refurb section is sending out crappy phones. And they will help you more if you are nice. Explain that you have a bad refurb. Give them a diff reason that screen flashes colors tho...Say something is broken on it (like the speakerphone). They will send you a replacement in the mail, with a return shipping pouch.

It does suck to have to deal with this BS, but its the way it is right now. Good luck.

EDIT:::I tried each time to get them to send me a new phone instead of a refurb and they falt-out wont do it....at least for me they wouldn't
    The Problem is that I'm not dealing with a refurb phone now. They gave me a brand new one and the spacebard didn't work. Now they give me another new one and the screen flashes. Should I just keep it in hopes nothing goes wrong or should I continue this fight for another new one? I just hate spending all my free time when I'm not at work dealing with this. It's madening at this point, not to mention my gf isn't too happy. I just worry that I'll just keep this one and after I get it all set up the screen will fry or something and I'll have to do this all over again.
    Last edited by charlesmvaron; 02/08/2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: QUESTION
  8.    #8  
    Question, can I still cancel my contract bc of the increased regulatory fees? I don't think I'm going to, but at least if I can still do that I can use that as leverage against the morons at Sprint when they refuse to get me a new phone bc everyone they give me has something wrong with it.
    nope january was the deadline
  10.    #10  
    I just spent my lunch break on the phone with sprint's customer care line. I told them of the attitude and rudeness I experienced from the sprint store and she wanted to know which one exactly and I told her. She said she was going to investigate it further and call me back. Let's see what happens, if anything. I'll keep you all posted.
  11.    #11  
    UPDATE:

Wow, so after I spoke with someone in retentions yesterday she was ****ed at how the store had been treating me. She called them up and told them that they had to fix the problem or she would get the district manager of that particular office involved. He called me back and told me to come back in and we would fix things (they were going to give me another NEW phone). Well, I was at work and couldn't go in so I called my mom and had her go in. She knew everything that was going on so she went in. She asked to see the new phone before they activated it. First phone comes out and spacebar doesn't work again, says I want another. Second phone comes out, same problem. She says I want another. Third phone comes out and spacebar works and no oreo. I don't know what sprint is doing, but their hardware and quality control on these devices is terrible.

Original phone had speaker blow, given a refurb on friday dies in store, then given a new phone on friday and spacebar dosen't work, given another new one on sunday and screen fries in store upon activation, given 3 phones on monday and only one of them has a working keyboard.

So it took 6 phones after my launch day phone to get one that legitimately worked. Ridiculous. Anyways, thanks for all of your support!
    Looks like a SMART buyer is a satisfied customer.
    That's basically the reason i threw in the towel on the Pre. I wasn't willing to continue the quest for a nondefective Pre. Combined with no great backup/restore, it's too much of a time killer considering you've got to the upgrade the OS on a new Pre, tweak it to your liking, hunt down apps you've bought since palm profile isn't reliable, reinstall homebrew or patches, etc.

If i was Palm for a day, i'd beef up the Pixi, continue with the Pre plus (but not work on any sequels and let it EOL later), and introduce a slab/landcape kb (maybe both). On the software side, beef up what people consider the core apps, and introduce apps and desktop mgmt apps that promote "handholding" for the masses and walks owners through setup as well as providing full backups. Get amazon fully on board. And of course, i'd fire all the marketing people
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesmvaron View Post
    The Problem is that I'm not dealing with a refurb phone now. They gave me a brand new one and the spacebard didn't work. Now they give me another new one and the screen flashes. Should I just keep it in hopes nothing goes wrong or should I continue this fight for another new one? I just hate spending all my free time when I'm not at work dealing with this. It's madening at this point, not to mention my gf isn't too happy. I just worry that I'll just keep this one and after I get it all set up the screen will fry or something and I'll have to do this all over again.
    What makes you think you are receiving NEW phones? I would put money on it that they are refurbs, even if they tell you otherwise.

Go to dialpad and enter ##786#. This will give you manufacturer info on phone.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    well sounds like youve had a bad run with the refurb refurbs are mostly of better quality than new because they are checked out very thoroughly
    I dont know why you think refurbs are checked very thoroughly. From my experience, someone looks at the phone, and chucks it in a good stack, no matter if its good or bad, maybe only if it doesnt have physical damage. There is absolutely no way some of the things I've experienced are from anything more than TERRIBLE checking.
  16.    #16  
    What makes you think you are receiving NEW phones? I would put money on it that they are refurbs, even if they tell you otherwise.

Go to dialpad and enter ##786#. This will give you manufacturer info on phone.
    Well, I'm not a moron, thats for starters, ha. Second of all I asked my mom to make sure that each phone was taken out of a brand new box in front of her so she saw that it was NIB (yes all 3 of them). And as for checking the date from the dialpad, the date provided is 11/09. So, how much money did you want to put on it?
    I dont know why you think refurbs are checked very thoroughly. From my experience, someone looks at the phone, and chucks it in a good stack, no matter if its good or bad, maybe only if it doesnt have physical damage. There is absolutely no way some of the things I've experienced are from anything more than TERRIBLE checking.
    I have sold electronic products for over 28 years. During that time I have dealt with portable, cell and Ultra high end (try $20.000 amps). I have always loved referb units. Sure it may not have that new electronic smell, but in almost all cases when a new, out of the box or warranty product is exchanged it will go back to the factory and a person with hands on, will fix the problem, test every aspect of the product, install new cosmetics if needed, clean and reseal the product. Can you tell me of any non-hand built high volume product that is hand checked. Sure there is the random check but not like a referb. Now in Palms case I would think that they do not have the personal at this time to do a good quality check on referbs. Thats to bad. But with some luck as the company advances and has $$$ gains the Referb area will get better.
    I would agree that something is wrong at this time. But in defense of 063_xobx, he is correct on an EXPECTED level for referbs.
    So, could you please explain your statement.
    "From my experience, someone looks at the phone, and chucks it in a good stack, no matter if its good or bad, maybe only if it doesnt have physical damage."
    What is your behind the counter experience?
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 02/09/2010 at 10:00 AM.
    The issue is more like there are too many returns to do quality work on them. The system is overwhelmed by the poor initial quality.
    +1
    like he, you and I said
    I completely know where you are coming from. I just got back from the sprint store a couple of hours ago with my 4th PRE! The first two fell victim to the oreo effect and the last one which I only had for a month became all buggy for some reason. Sometimes it would be off in the morning and when I finally got it to cut back on the battery would be fine around 60%. I had no idea why. I'm still loading my backed up info back onto my new one but its easier this time because I've done 3 times before lol. Good luck with the new pre when you get it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast